62 Break - Analysis and Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Break - Analysis and Commentary

Hello all. I was at my friends 5x10 last night and managed a few 50+ breaks. Here is a 62 with commentary. The original version is also below. What do you think? Thanks for any input/feedback.

WITH Commentary:

WITHOUT Commentary:

Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Longbomber i enjoyed the commentary its a good insight into how one should go about breakbuilding.

thinking of the way i break build i can see why i'm not making bigger breaks, i do plan my next two or three shots but don't go as deep as you did, what i mean, i don't think of exact positions or if i need to cannon a ball where to cannon it.

i played a mate last night and thrashed him 6-2 , although i was pleased with how i played , my highest break was 22. and the majority of the time it wasn't because i missed, it was losing position.

i am definitely going to start paying more attention and try and take the ball that gives me the best options,

great stuff

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
      Longbomber i enjoyed the commentary its a good insight into how one should go about breakbuilding.

thinking of the way i break build i can see why i'm not making bigger breaks, i do plan my next two or three shots but don't go as deep as you did, what i mean, i don't think of exact positions or if i need to cannon a ball where to cannon it.

i played a mate last night and thrashed him 6-2 , although i was pleased with how i played , my highest break was 22. and the majority of the time it wasn't because i missed, it was losing position.

i am definitely going to start paying more attention and try and take the ball that gives me the best options,

great stuff
      Thanks so much. It's really crucial that you give me this feedback so I can help you and others along. I KNOW what its like to be weak in breakbuilding because I was there earlier in my game. I'm not a century runner (except for 1 in match play), but I AM able to build 40 and 50 breaks on a regular basis now without difficulty. I have gone through a lot of pain in trying to understand break building as well as recognizing my own shortfalls. I STRONGLY recommend that you start recording yourself in match play, and then watching yourself. We have all watched enough pros make tonnes to know where WE might need to improve. Recording myself, and recognizing where I was having issues (in my case understanding positional play and shot selection as well as remaining calm and clear headed) was very helpful once I started videoing myself.

Thanks!

Comment

Do you not have access to a proper table ? whole different game, maybe just the camera angle but the table looks so small

Comment

It looks like a slightly bigger American pool table with Snooker balls doesn't it lol.
          After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Thanks for putting that up. As alabadi said. It was very useful to understand the thought process in break building.

One thing I did notice is that you are rock solid still on your shots. I need to practice that.

My problem is that I play my mate who has little positional skills, not great at potting short or middle distant balls but for some reason is a good long potter. So he normally gets in after my safety on a long red, fails to get position on a colour and then attempts a ludicrous cut into the top pocket or tries to double it. He fails. There is no easy red so I play safe.
            Within a few minutes the table is a complete mess and it's very hard to get a break together. I do much better in practise where I regularly make 20 and 30 breaks with the occasional 40.

Ho hum.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
              Thanks for putting that up. As alabadi said. It was very useful to understand the thought process in break building.

One thing I did notice is that you are rock solid still on your shots. I need to practice that.

My problem is that I play my mate who has little positional skills, not great at potting short or middle distant balls but for some reason is a good long potter. So he normally gets in after my safety on a long red, fails to get position on a colour and then attempts a ludicrous cut into the top pocket or tries to double it. He fails. There is no easy red so I play safe.
              Within a few minutes the table is a complete mess and it's very hard to get a break together. I do much better in practise where I regularly make 20 and 30 breaks with the occasional 40.

Ho hum.
              That's why it's best to play better players than yourself, you get a tidier table and hence more chances to achieve a bigger break (if you can get in that is)

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                That's why it's best to play better players than yourself, you get a tidier table and hence more chances to achieve a bigger break (if you can get in that is)
                Yes. I do try. As often as I can.

Comment

Nice effort. Though I would have played a few shots differently...but then again I have never played on a 10ft...
                  The point of video was to showcase thinking process. Of course he would have played some shots differently on a full size table, that yellow for example...
                  It is a different game, yes, but I think if one has enough experience playing on both sizes, adapting the strategy should be automatic when switching.

Comment

My problem is that I play my mate who has little positional skills, not great at potting short or middle distant balls but for some reason is a good long potter.
                    This simply isn't possible. To me, a good long potter is the one who often gets long pots, but without any limitation whatsoever on what he can put on the cue ball. In other words, a very high level amateur at least.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                      This simply isn't possible. To me, a good long potter is the one who often gets long pots, but without any limitation whatsoever on what he can put on the cue ball. In other words, a very high level amateur at least.
                      I do understand what you mean. He gets the pot but doesn't think about the position. So technically he's not completing correctly on a major part of the pot which is why he probably gets them in. He is only thinking about the pot.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                        I know many local league players who can pot anything plain ball, but when putting any kind of spin on the cue ball to gain position when in, balls it up very often.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Do you not have access to a proper table ? whole different game, maybe just the camera angle but the table looks so small
                          I do have access to a full size table yes but it's at a club about 30 mins. I have to care for elderly parents in the evenings so right now, it's not a good location for practice sessions as I can't get out until at least 10pm. There also isn't much competition there either - apart from maybe 3 or 4 players.

Comment

Originally Posted by scottley View Post
                            It looks like a slightly bigger American pool table with Snooker balls doesn't it lol.
                            It's 5' x 10', so a 1 foot on the short, and 2 feet on the long. Do agree that it makes a difference.

Comment

Ho hum.
                              Funny enough I was once like that myself. Good at the long balls but clueless in the short game. Part of the reason many years ago was because I didn't understand cue action the way I do now so had a limited set of "tools" to play the complete game. I didn't understand when I first learned to play that I actually COULD control the cue ball and used to pot doubles, and long straight balls to try to rescue the break, but of course, it's unsustainable.

Comment

Working...
                              X