Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse joints on 3/4 cue

Hi all,

Have been browsing this forum as so much information on weights, length, balance point etc which has been helpful while looking at speccing my own cue. I have come across one that has stumped me a bit though.

I have seen a few uk makers now reverse the joints on 3/4 cue so that the mini butt can be attached directly to the shaft to enable a small cue for tight spaces. With league pool been a mixed bag of venues there are some local pubs I know where if near the cushion a full size cue can be a bit tight.

I was considering of asking them to spec my cue with reverse joints to enable this but as I have gone for more expensive grade shaft to aid the cue dynamics I am concerned of the risk of damage to the shaft with reversed joints as putting the wider joint in means more intrusive work on the shaft.

Interested on people's thoughts on reverse joints or am I better listening to my concerns and if I can't cue down enough in a tight spot grab a house bat for the odd shot?

Thanks.

Of course ask the maker for their advice, I believe Mike Wooldridge does a reverse joint as you call it - on all his jointed cues.

Reversing the joint - to me - should not have any detrimental affect to the cue.
    All I will say is to make sure you are NOT a "over-tightener" with your cue joints; and if you are STOP IT!!!
    The only time over the years I have seen a cue have damage at the joints (shaft 2pc or 3/4 or butt joints) is because the user over tightens the joints every time - thinking they have to do that else there will be a loose rattle - it wont be.
    I have seen a butt cracked by a friend over tightening the mini-butt; and a 3/4 joint cracked by a different friend - who was a constant undo-do-up type player when not at the table (UK pool) and cranking up the joint every time.

Let us know how you get on
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Joe261985 View Post
      Hi all,

Have been browsing this forum as so much information on weights, length, balance point etc which has been helpful while looking at speccing my own cue. I have come across one that has stumped me a bit though.

I have seen a few uk makers now reverse the joints on 3/4 cue so that the mini butt can be attached directly to the shaft to enable a small cue for tight spaces. With league pool been a mixed bag of venues there are some local pubs I know where if near the cushion a full size cue can be a bit tight.

I was considering of asking them to spec my cue with reverse joints to enable this but as I have gone for more expensive grade shaft to aid the cue dynamics I am concerned of the risk of damage to the shaft with reversed joints as putting the wider joint in means more intrusive work on the shaft.

Interested on people's thoughts on reverse joints or am I better listening to my concerns and if I can't cue down enough in a tight spot grab a house bat for the odd shot?

Thanks.
      I make cues, the female half of the 3/4 joint needs a 14mm diameter hole drilled into the shaft or butt, usually butt, and the male half needs a 10mm diameter hole drilled into the shaft or butt, usually shaft. My sunday night practise partner has a reverse jointed 3/4 maple and yes the wood has cracked on the shaft and I will be making him a new shaft and will remove the joint he has and fit a new one with the female half in the butt, where it should be, as the diameter of the shaft at the joint is only 24mm which leaves only 5mm of wood outside the hole as it is at the moment, so no wonder it cracked.

If you're getting a bespoke cue made the ask for a special short extension to be made with a female joint the same as your butt joint that can be screwed directly onto the shaft.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I'm pretty sure my craftsman cue has reverse joints on it, it's years since I've looked at it so I could be wrong
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
        X