No announcement yet.

Pool cues which one do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator cues seem to be the way to go based on the views in the world of 9-ball.

Comment

cues for American pool

If you have the time, money, and/or obsessive interest, check out the Blue Book of Pool Cues (3rd ed.). You could while away many an hour flipping through the pages. If you're interested in spending as much as a thousand pounds on a custom cue I could pass along some names of custom cue makers with good reputations.

If this will be your first pool cue I'd recommend (1) NOT buying a custom cue, (2) spending time to find a cue that hits the way you'd like, and (3) buy a cue that has a universal joint in case you want to buy a shaft from a different manufacturer (Predator, OB-1, etc.). If there is a retailer in your area, then by all means test some cues. Otherwise consider taking a trip to the largest pool hall in your area and ask as many people as you can if you can play with their cues. At the cost of a friendly beer or two you'll learn quite a lot.

If you shoot a satisfactory game of 8-ball or 9-ball with a one-piece house cue, then consider getting a cue with a firm hit. If you've never tried a cue with a soft hit, it could be just what you want.

McDermott cues have a soft hit, and some people swear by them. My first (used) cue was a McDermott, I bought my wife a McDermott, and I'd be happy to play with one again. However, I've gotten used to a cue with a firm hit; I play with a Schuler carom cue matched with a Schuler tapered pool shaft.

Some of the more popular and well respected mass-manufactured cues include Schoen (pronounced "shone" here in the States), McDermott, Peschauer, and Predator. I've never shot with a Viking, but they're generally less expensive and some people like them.

I have a Predator 314 shaft for one of my cues and it hits well. However, if you're not used to a firm hit then the Predator may throw you off at first. If you can find a Predator cue with good balance then you might just buy a cue from Predator. Otherwise you can buy a Predator shaft with the joint to fit butts from various manufacturers.

With pool cues you also need to consider whether you want the butt to have a linen wrap, a leather (or leather-like) wrap, or no wrap at all. If you have damp hands you might appreciate a linen wrap; otherwise the choice of wrap/no wrap is strictly a matter of what feels right to you. Most custom cues have a wrap, though I prefer to play without one.

An inlay won't help you shoot straighter any more than a racing stripe will help you drive faster. That noted, we could all wear black slacks and black T-shirts every day of the week and get by. Style counts for something. Pick a brand of cue that provides the hit that feels comfortable, then choose a look that suits you.

Lastly, if you become a devoted pool player you'll probably have multiple cues. In contrast to snooker, the break shot in many pool games requires that you bust open the rack with gusto. Jump shots are legal as well. I have a jump/break cue in addition to my playing cue.

Check out the AzBilliards forum for posts about cues, of which you'll find a number:
      http://forums.azbilliards.com/
      http://www.findsnooker.com/
      Snooker tables in the USA

Snooker cue: Mike Wooldridge white Shark
      Pool: Chuck Starkey custom, Schuler SLC-505

Comment

I use a Viking cue with a Predator Z2 shaft. I previously used a 314 but find the Z2 much nicer, especially being a snooker convert. I use a cheap Buffalo break cue with a phenolic tip/ferrule, which is also good for jumping.
        When I first plated on the pro tour, I put white electrical tape around the ferrule of my snooker cue to make it look like it had a plastic ferrule as brass ferrules were not allowed at the time.
        Ex snooker pros like Mark Gray and Drago use hybrid cues, which are like snooker cues but with plastic/phenolic ferrule and slightly larger tip.
        I went into a chemist and asked for a deodorant, the assistant said "ball, stick or aerosol", "No, I want it for under my arms!" was my reply.

Comment

Ray Schuler

Originally Posted by vucko117 View Post
          What cue are you using for 9-ball US pool? I am thinking about buying Mcdermott or Mezz cue.
          there is a smaller company that makes great cues in the US for reasonable prices.
          http://www.schulercue.com/

they start around us$450.

they have a unique joint "the schuler joint" which makes them extremely solid. the weighting and balance is great.

you can customize the shaft taper as well.

i bought one a while ago used it for a couple of years and stopped playing. never had a problem with it

Comment

I thought Schuler cue was sold?
            For a reasonable priced cue made in the USA, I really think you cannot beat Joss.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by tony9ball68 View Post
              I use a Viking cue with a Predator Z2 shaft. I previously used a 314 but find the Z2 much nicer, especially being a snooker convert. I use a cheap Buffalo break cue with a phenolic tip/ferrule, which is also good for jumping.
              When I first plated on the pro tour, I put white electrical tape around the ferrule of my snooker cue to make it look like it had a plastic ferrule as brass ferrules were not allowed at the time.
              Ex snooker pros like Mark Gray and Drago use hybrid cues, which are like snooker cues but with plastic/phenolic ferrule and slightly larger tip.
              I haven't played much pool or snooker in the last couple of years, but I'll probably be playing a fair bit of American pool in the near future and will be looking for a cue. I've read that the Predator Z2 shaft is good for snooker converts but do any of the pool natives use one?

I'd be looking for a cue with a wrapless butt, and maybe get a Predator shaft down the line, does anyone know if there are there any suppliers in the UK?

Comment

Originally Posted by jam32 View Post
                there is a smaller company that makes great cues in the US for reasonable prices.
                http://www.schulercue.com/
                I play with a Schuler and love it. Shafts are available for pool, carom, and even snooker.

Ray Schuler died, but the company continues to make "legacy" cues that are reasonably priced.

I've read that the Predator Z2 shaft is good for snooker converts but do any of the pool natives use one?
                Many pro players use Predator shafts. Since the shafts are available for a variety of joints, one can find a Predator shaft to fit cues from a variety of manufacturers. Search the forums at AzBilliards.com for posts about shafts from Predator and competitors.
                http://forums.azbilliards.com/
                http://www.findsnooker.com/
                Snooker tables in the USA

Snooker cue: Mike Wooldridge white Shark
                Pool: Chuck Starkey custom, Schuler SLC-505

Comment

Originally Posted by vucko117 View Post
                  What cue are you using for 9-ball US pool? I am thinking about buying Mcdermott or Mezz cue.

With out a doubt the Mezz is the way to go, I live in America and know a good bit about cues, the last McD's that were any good was the "D" series and they stopped making those in around 87, McD are mid level production cues, they had a very great reputation for great cues in the 70's and 80's, they have used that reputation forever. They are not bad cues but not near the same class of the Mezz cues. Resale for the Mezz is better as well

best

Comment

you can probably get a custom cue for the same money you'll pay for Mezz.

Comment

They do have some cheaper models which are cheaper than custom pool cues, but should play well. The axi and ec7 models should play well and might be affordable. Of course, they are cheaper to buy here in Japan.
                      Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

I've tried plenty of cues over the last 10 years or so, but whats worked for me as I previously played Snooker and 2-shot 8-Ball (WEPF rules) was a tapered shaft.

Playing cue:
                        So what I've had the last 4 years is a Predator Z shaft.
                        I also found it was worth investing in the P2 series butt as there is more feedback and NO buzz when compared to the standard Predator butts.
                        For once, the hype paid off.
                        I got the leopard and curly maple wood finish as its very nice, the stuff that works is on the inside with that butt.
                        Uniloc joints all the way, they never come loose and don't overtighten.

Breaking cue:
                        On the fence with this.
                        I like the Predator BK2, but have been trying a Mezz Power II recently and it is very very good.

Jump cue:
                        Bungee works fine for me, these are all pretty much the same in their range. Just a matter of what finish you like.
                        Didn't like the Predator air at all
                        if you want something done right, do it yourself!

Comment

McDermott...it was cheap
                          but i think it's quite ok
                          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

I've got a cue that cost me £20 from the club. Suits me fine for nine-ball, sometimes it's better to just get a half decent one and see how you get on. I'm only playing for pleasure so I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a cue.

Comment

American pool cues

Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
                              I haven't played much pool or snooker in the last couple of years, but I'll probably be playing a fair bit of American pool in the near future and will be looking for a cue. I've read that the Predator Z2 shaft is good for snooker converts but do any of the pool natives use one?

I'd be looking for a cue with a wrapless butt, and maybe get a Predator shaft down the line, does anyone know if there are there any suppliers in the UK?
                              Hi Mate

First off if you don't want a wrapless butt get your snooker cue converted, but I find they hit "tinny", I use a Predator Z shaft on my cue and it's great the only thing is unless your serious about American pool they can be quite expensive.

Check out my website www.matthew-lester.com

Cheers

Matt

Comment

I have two Mcdermott cues. One is Model M3-3C, Twilight, 2006. year, 19.5oz, 12mm Moori soft tip and i really love it. Great cue. Default shaft, but feeling in game is great. And I use other for break, model LK10, 19oz, 13mm hard tip. Also very good cue. Not Jump/break, but I use it for that purpose with little modifications
                                Noli turbare circulos meos.

Comment

Working...
                                X