white ball in english pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white ball in english pool

this may seem a simple question, but can anyone tell me why the white is smaller than the other balls? i heard steve davis say he would never play the game because of this. i cant think of a reason myself why the white is smaller??

good question, i always assumed it was so the table could return that size ball to the ducket for the white and the larger coloured balls would go in the tray

Comment

i originally thought that too, but then i thought that would only be in pubs where the table is pay per frame, surely then in the pro game they wopuldnt need to do this and would therefor use a normal size ball? but they still use the smaller white so i ruled this out!! lol its got me stumped anyway

Comment

The white ball is smaller, and it is easier to move around, but they have been playing some tourniments with a larger (heavier) cue ball recently i think.

Comment

Less strenuous for the girlies to retrieve when they sewer?
          Alleviates repetitive strain injury.

=o)

Noel
          Last edited by noel; 19 April 2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

The white is smaller so that it can be separated from the object balls when it goes in off. When all the balls are potted the drawer retains the white to prevent theft.

A good few years back a UK manufacturer called DPT who were distributors for Valley pool tables tried to introduce English style tables with a magnetic cue ball separation system which is common on American coin operated pool tables. However this never caught on with the Uk pool players and they reverted back to the small white. I can only assume that they use the smaller white within the professional game as this is what is used on 99% of tables.

The magnetic cue ball is heavier than the object balls and react differently, which may be one reason that it didn`t catch on.

Another intersting point is that there is no set standard table within the Uk pool industry. Each manufacturer making tables with differing pocket sizes and slate sizes. Unlike snooker where the specifiaction of the table sizes, dimensions, pocket openings etc is set out in the rules of the game.

Comment

I think the main reason the small cue ball is retained in the pro game is that it is what the players are used to after having used it for years in the pubs.

The spotted white that has been used in TV tournament is a couple of grams heavier but it is still 1-7/8" in diametre.

There is a system in the states by Diamond Billiards called the Smart Table that reads the density of the balls by laser to return the cue ball back to the right end, this means on many coin-op tables in the states they can use a normal set of balls no problem.
              Watch Exclusive Snooker Live & On Demand
              Freeview Snooker TV channel

Comment

Working...
              X