Drago, Borg for World Cup in Philippina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    Ronnie did well in 9ball. In his first tournament in Weert he got to final losing to Immonen. All the top European pool players were there...there was no TV coverage. Wish I had a link for that event, but I don't...

Then there was 8ball tour in America, IPT it was called. There he did ok, but nothing special. I think 8ball is a worst game for him because there are hardly any long shots in it and break off is harder than in 9ball. It doesn't sound logical, but it is harder to make ball on the break with 15 balls than just 9. English players who play UK style 8ball did very well during that tour. Ronnie didn't continue with it probably because the whole tour collapsed with financial problems.

In World Pool Masters invitational tournament of 16 players, he got drawn to play Wu of Taiwan who managed to win World Championships at just 16 years of age. The kid is a phenomenal pool player. Ronnie had one or two bad breaks, one strange miscue, but other than that on open play he showed he's just as good as top pool guys. Wu only slightly outplayed him, it wasn't like Ronnie was totally outclassed. He held his own.

The link to match is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Ye61WiLMk

If he dedicated his life to it? He'd be at the top for sure, a threat to win anytime and anywhere. Domination? I don't know. In pool you can get so easily beat by lesser players. Nobody really dominates. Can you imagine snooker players ranked at 80 or 90 beating Higgins or O'Sullivan? Well, results like above happen in pool a lot. Tournament matches in pool are very short, much shorter than snooker tournament matches. This helps lesser players. Snooker is a much more rewarding game I think. If I were Ronnie, I'd stick to snooker.
    That match, which I witnessed first-hand, was simple. Ronnie made 2 bad breaks and a miscue, Wu, double world-champion at the time at the age of 16, made no mistakes at all.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
      what ive put in bold also shows how easier it is if you can get easily beat by lesser players and dominating is harder.

Having watched literally hundreds of hours of both 9-ball and snooker, I disagree with you. It's not about finding one player who dominates.

Comment

Working...
      X