Start playing pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start playing pool?

Ok, so I have been playing snooker for 4 years now and I wonder if it would be easy to start playing pool also? I mean, snooker is harder (pockets tighter, bigger table) but I know that pool requires a different type tactic and playingstyle. But, if I started to play pool do you think I would be better at that than snooker?
    #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

personally i think that after playing snooker for 4 years and not playing pool, going to a smaller table for pool should make you a world champion in the game it should be that much easier. In saying that i hope your talking about english pool tables with rounded pockets, not that handicapped game of U.S. pool with square pockets so it's easier to hit the ball in while they scratch their nuts and do their hair with the other hand.

I always laugh when a "Pro" hits a bank shot and makes it, like a double shot is the hardest shot in the world....... bahhhhh

Comment

youd think so, but its not quite always the case. theres always a different 'approach' and mindset to the game. pool is a much more complicated game than snooker. there are tactics and ways to win a snooker player would never even think about. i played robby foldvari (retired profesional snooker n billiard player) in a pool tounrament (no idea what he was doing there) and i beat him 2 nil, because, i outplayed him with safeties, and strategy. like he could outpot me, for sure, but i managed to get the best of him because of technical gameplay that applies to english 8 ball. im not talking american 8 ball, brainless game.

Comment

Viktor being a Swede I assume you mean American pool ? As for the question, do you mean easier to pot balls or to win games? If it's the latter then it's relative. i.e if its easier for you to play pool then it's also easier for your opponent (assuming for argument's sake they are of similar skill to yourself) .
        It's far easier to pot balls on an American tables, especially in the corners and down the cushion. The middles are tight though.
        If you're a decent snooker player, you might find yourself being one of the better pool players in your area

Comment

Well I played snooker mostly earlier but than found out that it has no future in Ukraine so decided to take pool
          I needed some time but now I play pool quite good
          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Well i do agree with 'Mr O', if u were talking about american pool, then you will be simply a great player, because u have an experiance in playing snooker, the pockets in US pool tables are just too big, you'll find ur self potting balls.

About the middel pocket they're not tricky as much as a snooker middel pockets, but if you're familiar with snooker middel pockets then i think it wont be much of a problem.
            You never really learn to swear until you miss an easy shot halfway through a break.

Comment

I assume we are not talking about English but international pool.

It's an easy question. The answer is no. They are different games that requires different skills. It doesn't matter if it's easier to pot balls as it's just as easy or difficult for your opponent. You might think that you have a superior technique for making difficult pots but you'll soon learn that there's more to the game than that.

A great player, no matter the disciplin, is pretty good in all cue sports. The talent is universal, specific training makes perfect. Give Mika Immonen five years of snooker training and he'll be a threat to any ranking title and vice versa for Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Comment

The type of pool I mean is "American Pool" so you know
                #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Sorry, but if your high break in a snooker competition match is about 30 like it says in your signature, you don't have a slightest chance against any experienced pool player. Only against less than average amateur players. You'd be lucky to clear a rack or two at the most in a set of 9ball. Talking about normal length sets, best of 17 or so.
                  If you were a regular 100 break player, then things could get interesting. At least then you'd do very well at amateur level, perhaps even knock at pro level.

I know Sweden has some very tough pro pool players. Marcus Chamat comes to mind. To take him on at pool for example, you'd have to be main tour quality snooker player at least plus spend a few months practicing pool with coaches, etc. That's just to pose a serious threat to him. To actually beat a guy like him in a long money match (yes, most pool players are fierce gamblers) or score well at Eurotour events would require a lot of dedication and few years of experience at the top level.

Comment

If ur talking about 9 ball, ask yourself are u a good potter? 9 balls in a row ! Yes pockets are big to snooker players but balls r bigger heavier & u need a good strong 9 ball cue. Can u control the White ? Hard to do screw, so lot of positioning off the rails, running round the table ! Can u break ? Art to this aswell. Middle pockets may look big but unlike snooker very tight at any angle, hence being good at banking shots when needed ! Like robertson, selby and o sullivan. Not 2 mention jump shots ! Safety any good ? Always need to come off a rail after u hit a ball, cannons, angles and spin on the table is different ! Apart from that easiest game going lol ! I say play all cue sports find 1 u like, suits ur game, style and mentality coz they all need different skills

Comment

It will help but you will still need alot of gaming and improvement to adjust.
                      Dark side of the moon

Comment

don't listen to this that you'll never be good cause every pro is gonna kick your...... bla bla bla cause you're not the century man etc. !!! We all know that american pool is very easy silly game, everyone that tried it know that, but i'm not talking about pro level and i assume that you ain't gonna be pro but in your local amateur circles you sure can be good enough to win some games or tournaments, everyone that is good at snooker has the abilities to do that in pool so, if you like it, go for it!
                        ...cue is our weapon, and we know how to kill...

Comment

Originally Posted by Vex 147 View Post
                          We all know that american pool is very easy silly game, everyone that tried it know that...
                          LOL. Dear Vex, I drill you at snooker every time we play and I'm just little above average amateur pool player trying to learn snooker. Be careful what you write...hahahah...better learn to move that cueball around...hehe...cheers!
                          See you at the club later today...

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                            LOL. Dear Vex, I drill you at snooker every time we play and I'm just little above average amateur pool player trying to learn snooker. Be careful what you write...hahahah...better learn to move that cueball around...hehe...cheers!
                            See you at the club later today...
                            Maybe the reason cause you win against me is because you play all the cue sports at least 6 or 7 years longer than i am but when i'm gonna be your age, in about 10 years time, i'm quite sure that you ain't gonna drill me no more! Peace!
                            ...cue is our weapon, and we know how to kill...

Comment

Being good at Snooker does not necessarily mean you will be a good Pool player (8 ball or 9 ball).

I consider myself a pretty decent cueist, I played 8 ball Pool at International level as a Jnr and have made quite a few centuries on a snooker table,

I started playing nine ball a few months ago and although I was quite comfortable potting I wasnt running as many racks as I expected because the positional play is a lot different due to the size & weight of the balls used, a shot I would play deep screw on a snooker table to gain position would seem to get me nowhere near were I wanted so I found my self having to adjust and playing follow through round the angles to get better position, coming off the rails a lot more etc....

Its all down to mind set as it does take adjustment to your way of thinking.

Another thing to consider is if you do start playing American pool as well it could affect your snooker, it did mine.

I went for a few frames the other night (1st time back on a snooker table since starting to play 9 ball) and I really struggled with the pace of the white I was over hitting everything as I had got used to the extra weight of the American white ball, I also played some strange positional shots again because my mind set had adapted to how I would play the shot on a 9 ball table.
                              Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Working...
                              X