Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct size balls for 6x3 8 ball table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct size balls for 6x3 8 ball table?

Probably a silly question. I have been using 2 inch because thats what I got with the table but I know there are smaller sizes.

Pool ball sizes

Hi Jimmyjones
    I've just bought some new balls for my local pub table and, like you, had trouble finding out standard sizes. 2" is the normal size for most full-size tables, although the white ball is slightly smaller (17/8"). However, some tables accept the smaller balls - is the table you're talking about coin-operated or does it have snooker-style pockets?http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...es/snooker.gif

Comment

Originally Posted by Pool Dick View Post
      Hi Jimmyjones
      I've just bought some new balls for my local pub table and, like you, had trouble finding out standard sizes. 2" is the normal size for most full-size tables, although the white ball is slightly smaller (17/8"). However, some tables accept the smaller balls - is the table you're talking about coin-operated or does it have snooker-style pockets?http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...es/snooker.gif
      My table is a freeplay omega.

I know 2" is standard for a 7' table but there are 1 7/8", 1 3/4" and 1 5/8" balls available so I am confused about which ones I should be using in a 6' table

Comment

Think 2'' balls are standard 4 6ft table are in pool anyway ! However I was given a 6ft table when I was 10, also given a set of 20-30 year old American pool balls which I knocked around with 4 10 years n 4 the last 10 years had as an ornament coz they naturally marbled coz of there age ! (god knows how many time I potted them, playing 5 hours aday!)However measured those at 1 7/8 n 1 3/4 White which played perfect. Though I say stay with the larger 1s so ur more precise on ur pots n position.

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy_udd View Post
          Think 2'' balls are standard 4 6ft table are in pool anyway ! However I was given a 6ft table when I was 10, also given a set of 20-30 year old American pool balls which I knocked around with 4 10 years n 4 the last 10 years had as an ornament coz they naturally marbled coz of there age ! (god knows how many time I potted them, playing 5 hours aday!)However measured those at 1 7/8 n 1 3/4 White which played perfect. Though I say stay with the larger 1s so ur more precise on ur pots n position.
          I would normally agree but the pockets on my table are very unforgiving allready so I was thinking that if I tried a smaller size ball, maybe the 1 7/8 it would be a bit easier to pot.

Comment

Well if u keep them, n do well, it may improve ur game all round within time (& whoop ur mates when they come round 4 a game). But, if u don't feel naturally comfitable with them on ur table, change them. The 1s I had were great, didn't feel much different in size n weight. Also make u feel more confident n enjoy ur table more. Wudn't go much smaller though, coz the feel of a real table n balls will start 2 feel a real big difference ! Also on ur table even smaller balls may start 2 bounce of the cushions weird, not reaching the cushion properly (hitting only the under side).
            Happy potting.

Comment

Isn't the cushion supposed to be half the height of the ball or something?
              How high are the cusions on the table and what do you get if you double it. Just a thought might be wrong
              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by jimmyjones View Post
                I would normally agree but the pockets on my table are very unforgiving allready so I was thinking that if I tried a smaller size ball, maybe the 1 7/8 it would be a bit easier to pot.
                If you look at bbbilliards.co.uk they are selling your Omega table with 2" reds/yellows (and presumably a 1 7/8" white). You could probably go down a size, but you'd have trouble beating people on any table with full size balls (although you'd be king of the hill at home)! :snooker:

Comment

Yeah, my old table was the old pub style with the 2 wide legs. I had 2" balls on it too and I was perfectly happy with it. The difference now is that the rail shots always seem to end up in the jaws and any half fast shot to the middle seems to magically bounce or roll out and this keeps messing up my break and finish which I enjoyed so regularly on my old table.

Maybe its just the table, or maybe I'm just getting old but it seems like one hard table to play on.

Just shows that an upgrade is not always the right thing, I think I want my old table back

Comment

Yeah, my old table was the old pub style with the 2 wide legs. I had 2" balls on it too and I was perfectly happy with it. The difference now is that the rail shots always seem to end up in the jaws and any half fast shot to the middle seems to magically bounce or roll out and this keeps messing up my break and finish which I enjoyed so regularly on my old table.

Maybe its just the table, or maybe I'm just getting old but it seems like one hard table to play on.

Just shows that an upgrade is not always the right thing, I think I want my old table back
                    Could be that the cushions on your new table haven't settled yet - if you had your old table for a while, the cushions had probably 'relaxed' and were more forgiving. When we had new cushions/baize on the pub table all our games were affected for a few weeks :snooker:

Comment

Could be that the cushions on your new table haven't settled yet - if you had your old table for a while, the cushions had probably 'relaxed' and were more forgiving. When we had new cushions/baize on the pub table all our games were affected for a few weeks :snooker:
                      That makes sense Pool Dick.

Maybe I will try a set of 1 7/8" now and go back to the 2" in a few months and see how it goes.

Comment

Just browsed aramiths balls and there 2" for 6ft and 7ft standard tables.
                        Dark side of the moon

Comment

Bloody new balls!

That makes sense Pool Dick.

Maybe I will try a set of 1 7/8" now and go back to the 2" in a few months and see how it goes.
                          Last night we played a league match using our shiny new balls for the first time, and everyone struggled big time! We reckon it's because the new ones are so shiny they've highlighted the crap condition of the cushions - we were all getting some really weird bounces. So you may find that your new balls are giving you grief simply because they're shiny! :snooker:

Comment

Last night we played a league match using our shiny new balls for the first time, and everyone struggled big time! We reckon it's because the new ones are so shiny they've highlighted the crap condition of the cushions - we were all getting some really weird bounces. So you may find that your new balls are giving you grief simply because they're shiny! :snooker:
                            So you've got to wear balls in now?
                            Dark side of the moon

Comment

Shiny balls...

Originally Posted by snookerfan91 View Post
                              So you've got to wear balls in now?
                              Ha ha sounds mad, I agree, but apparently balls get slower as they get older (a bit like all of us!) 'cos they pick up dust, dirt, crisp bits, peanut oil, pee, hair oil, beer etc - JUST DON'T EVER LICK ONE - and get covered in tiny scratches as they're knocked around. This 'patina' means they stick very slightly to cushions, giving a truer bounce than shiny ones which tend to skid along the cushion.:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X