Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct size balls for 6x3 8 ball table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Pool Dick View Post
    Ha ha sounds mad, I agree, but apparently balls get slower as they get older (a bit like all of us!) 'cos they pick up dust, dirt, crisp bits, peanut oil, pee, hair oil, beer etc - JUST DON'T EVER LICK ONE - and get covered in tiny scratches as they're knocked around. This 'patina' means they stick very slightly to cushions, giving a truer bounce than shiny ones which tend to skid along the cushion.:snooker:
    Haha yeah the ones normally in pubs have holes and dints and chips in them I think somebody needs to remind the owners lol!!!

When I get a pool table when I get my own place I'll be buying brand new palls no doubt and re-new them when there need it to be honest, look after your tools and there will look after you so I've been told .
    Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerfan91 View Post
      Haha yeah the ones normally in pubs have holes and dints and chips in them I think somebody needs to remind the owners lol!!!

When I get a pool table when I get my own place I'll be buying brand new palls no doubt and re-new them when there need it to be honest, look after your tools and there will look after you so I've been told .
      Lucky you ! I'd love to have my own table, but a combination of a house that's space-challenged and a missus who prefers to eat off a table rather than play on one means no chance. :snooker:

Comment

Well I will be getting a 2 bedroom ground floor flat so it means one of my bedrooms will have a pool table in, my other to sleep in, put one of my fish tanks in the sitroom, one in bedroom, a whole room for pool table will be great.
        Dark side of the moon

Comment

Well I will be getting a 2 bedroom ground floor flat so it means one of my bedrooms will have a pool table in, my other to sleep in, put one of my fish tanks in the sitroom, one in bedroom, a whole room for pool table will be great.
          Cool!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jimmyjones View Post
            My table is a freeplay omega.

I know 2" is standard for a 7' table but there are 1 7/8", 1 3/4" and 1 5/8" balls available so I am confused about which ones I should be using in a 6' table
            Jimmy, yes 2" is the correct size for all pub and domestic slate bed tables from 1980's onwards, The pockets on your previous table (Superleague/HazelGrove - these tables last forever so long as you get em re-covered every couple of years!) were probably a little more forgiving. I sold and installed an Omega table week before last, was a coin mech, but cushions and slate same template as yours. One thing you could do is open up the pockets slightly. Either overall by taking them off and removing a couple of mil off one end, but if you're not handy with stuff may be better to get a fitter to do this - more cost effective to do this when you have it re-covered as the cushions will be off the table already.

OR... Alter the position of the cushions - this means moving them up into the middle pocket i.e. it's a compromise as the corner pockets get slightly bigger and the middles slightly smaller. One caveat to this is that I think from memory this option may not be possible with your table as I seem to remember they are fixed point cushions the same as on Supreme Winners.

PM me if you need 1 & 7/8ths" balls, I definitely have them in Spots n Stripes, and may have Reds n Yellows or can order them for you. Any other advice about table just contact me as I re-cover them all the time..Dave, Snookerpoolman
            Attached Files

Comment

I heard the black ball is little bit smaller is there a reason for this?
              Dark side of the moon

Comment

The white ball is slightly smaller than the rest on a coin operated table so that it will return instead of going into the ball collection thing in the side, have not heard about the black being a different size too.
                sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Never heard of that, but then I spend all my pool playing life on coin-operated tables where a smaller black would pop out of the white ball tray!:snooker:

Comment

It just said on the ebay link in the information that the balls are 2" and the black ball is only 1 1/8"
                    Dark side of the moon

Comment

It just said on the ebay link in the information that the balls are 2" and the black ball is only 1 1/8"
                      That doesn't make any sense at all - the black ball would be almost half the size of all the others! May be a typo in the ebay link - post it & I'll have a look.:snooker:

Comment

That doesn't make any sense at all - the black ball would be almost half the size of all the others! May be a typo in the ebay link - post it & I'll have a look.:snooker:

As per my previous post, the white is smaller @ 1& 7/8ths" to run through the ball return on a coin mech. table.

I did once turn up at a pool match and the opponents had received a new set of balls from there table rental company, looked nice all shiny and new. I went on first, cleared 7 yellows, to black leaving a tricky shot to centre pocket, at which point I noticed there was no No' 8 on it on either side of the black ball? Looked at it again and compared it to one of my opponents reds and realised it was a snooker ball (2 & 1/16th"), made the pot to middle and asked other team about it - they said they hadn't even realised - anyway we proceeded to trounce them 7 - 1 on the night! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
                          As per my previous post, the white is smaller @ 1& 7/8ths" to run through the ball return on a coin mech. table.

I did once turn up at a pool match and the opponents had received a new set of balls from there table rental company, looked nice all shiny and new. I went on first, cleared 7 yellows, to black leaving a tricky shot to centre pocket, at which point I noticed there was no No' 8 on it on either side of the black ball? Looked at it again and compared it to one of my opponents reds and realised it was a snooker ball (2 & 1/16th"), made the pot to middle and asked other team about it - they said they hadn't even realised - anyway we proceeded to trounce them 7 - 1 on the night! :snooker:
                          Must have been fun trying to get the black ball out again!

Comment

Must have been fun trying to get the black ball out again!
                            2 & 1/16th" Snooker balls just run through the ball tray, likewise 2 & 1/4" Spots n Stripes - if you use them on an English pool table it helps improve your game as you need to be more accurate to pot them on standard sized pockets, unlike the crazy American tables with huge pocket openings....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
                              2 & 1/16th" Snooker balls just run through the ball tray, likewise 2 & 1/4" Spots n Stripes - if you use them on an English pool table it helps improve your game as you need to be more accurate to pot them on standard sized pockets, unlike the crazy American tables with huge pocket openings....
                              Yeah, I've played quite a lot of pool in the States (mainly Salt Lake City), and it's a whole different ball game......mind you, playing like a Brit totally confuses the Yanks so I tended to win virtually every game!

Comment

Sorry my bad it is the white ball that was smaller oops lol I just read through it fully,
                                Dark side of the moon

Comment

Working...
                                X