Pool Ball Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool Ball Weight

I recently bought a 7ft pool table which came with 1 & 3/4" spots & stripes.
    They seem to go into the pocket & come back out again if hit with any force.

Thinking that 2" balls were the correct size for the table, I bought a set on e-bay for a few pounds. First thing I noticed when they arrived, they were not 2" at all, but the same size as my original set. Secondly, they do not come out of the pocket nearly as much when hit hard.

The original balls all weigh between 97 & 99g, in the new set they all weigh between 103 & 105g, although the same diameter, the extra weight appears to be keeping them from jumping back out again.

I'm now looking at a set of Powerglide Guinness pool balls, 2" diameter to continue this experiment!

Russ

Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I recently bought a 7ft pool table which came with 1 & 3/4" spots & stripes.
    They seem to go into the pocket & come back out again if hit with any force.

Thinking that 2" balls were the correct size for the table, I bought a set on e-bay for a few pounds. First thing I noticed when they arrived, they were not 2" at all, but the same size as my original set. Secondly, they do not come out of the pocket nearly as much when hit hard.

The original balls all weigh between 97 & 99g, in the new set they all weigh between 103 & 105g, although the same diameter, the extra weight appears to be keeping them from jumping back out again.

I'm now looking at a set of Powerglide Guinness pool balls, 2" diameter to continue this experiment!

Russ
    Interesting???

Not sure why you'd receive 1 & 3/4" balls with a pool table? Presumably it's a standard UK slate bed pool table? Which would require 2" balls and a 1 & 7/8ths" white if you have a ball return. (if you do the 1 & 3/4" balls must all be returning out of the back out the table - so I guess you must have a domestic table where all balls run out of the front end?)

Any chance you could post some pictures of your table on here?

The 'bounce outs' you mention are not normally caused by the balls themselves, they are normally caused by loose or badly fitted rubber pocket liners. This is simple to remedy with a hammer and some pocket nails!

If this is the problem you may have to re-sit the liners so the top edge overlap is flush to the chrome (if your table has chome corners and/or middles) or the top frame - whichever applies. Push down on the pocket liner as you hammer in the new pocket nails. (I can supply new liners if they're worn out, which is common on old Superleague tables, and nails as well).

If you're unsure about this either find a fitter in your local area or ring me for further advice. You may need to cut down new pocket liners to fit between your cushions - use the old ones as a template (top tip!)

I've PM'd you about the Guinness Balls you're after - they're coming in Sat.

Dave, Snookerpoolman

Comment

OK Dave, pictures should be attached and your thoughts or advice appreciated.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...DSCF0659-1.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...5/DSCF0660.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...5/DSCF0657.jpg

Russ

Comment

the pockets look 2 be rubber ifso take a stanley knife and cut a few vertical lines into the bottom of the rubber and it should help with the pocket taking the balls at pace
        tha what!

Comment

Hi Russ, even more interesting. What you have there in terms of the pocket liners are Hard Plastic liners as used on Supreme pool tables and supplied by Supreme. Presumably whoever built/designed this table didn't allow for the pocket liners sitting properly on the top frame - i.e. behind the cushions. The photo's would seem to show that the edges of the pocket liners protrude out from the cushions on the corner pockets, rather than sitting behind the cushion ends, as is normal.

Also it seems strange that the table has these pocket liners combined with nets sewn into them?? Are they bag nets?, or does the ball go into a snooker type runner - like on a full size snooker table?

On the plus side it is a nice looking table, but I know that doesn't help you play any better. Having said that, to look at, it reminds me of a table I was once called out to to level. It had virtually no support under centre of the slate, and therefore was like a giant fishbowl - impossible to level. Chap had bought it brand new and paid over £1500 for it, cos it looked nice... I explained the fault to him and suggested he complained to the company that supplied it. Never heard what outcome was, but he was really disappointed as had not had the table long and was having the lads round for a session that night... I hope he did complain, cos it was an awful fault and would have probably led to a permanently warped slate.

To solve the bounce outs on the corner pockets where they protrude, see if the pocket liner can be pushed right back into the back of the frame so as it will sit between the cushions. If so, you need to hammer in some pocket nails (I have loads of these if you need some). Ideally 2 nails on either side of the liner -one towards the top of the liner (not too high though, as you could damage the wood on the top side of the cushion), the other lower down.

The middle pockets look better, (i.e. they sit behind the cushions, as is correct) but would sugget the same remedy. All the pocket liners need to be tightly fitted.

Hope this helps Russ. PM me about those Guinness Balls, as they're selling fast. I'll send you a bag of pocket nails as well, remind me so I dont forget as I'm all over the country with tables etc at the moment.

Cheers, Dave, Snookerpoolman :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dave & Ian,

The pockets have bags, not runners. It is actually a snooker/diner and has a wooden top. There is support at the bottom of the slate, has to be as the slate is in 3 pieces. If I can fix the pockets it will be perfect.

Dave, I'll PM you after work, stick a box of 2" Guinness balls to the side and a bag of nails, thanks.

Russ

Comment

Working...
            X