No announcement yet.

Tip size for UK 8 Ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 8mm ferrule on my pool cue and like to have my tip with a very very slight overhang maybe 8.5mm.Much more cue ball control with this size compared to average snooker cue tip size.

Comment

My current cue is a cheap and nasty boot sale cue cost me £2 with a 9.3mm tip and I find I get a decent amount of spin on the cueball(I snapped my last cue in my temper lol).
      I am at the moment saving up for a good cue with a 8.5mm tip,ive got £300 put aside so far.
      Most of the guys up my local pub are county players and have around 8.5mm.
      I doubt you'll see many top players with a bigger tip than 9mm.
      Last edited by WelshPhantom; 29 September 2013, 10:19 AM. Reason: missing words
      "Practice Makes Perfect"
      "He Who Endures Conquers"
      "Fortune Favours The Brave"

1 piece Trevor White 8.5mm Tip,17 1/2oz,57"

Comment

Well !!! I have a beautiful One piece 7 mil Mastercue Pro-butt for sale and it really is the dogs !!! PM me ..

Comment

Its a Trevor White or MW im after.Cheers for the offer though pal,Appreciate it.
          "Practice Makes Perfect"

Comment

Generally a pool cue is having a tip of 12-13 mm. Snooker cues comes of 9-10 mm cue tips.
            pool cue| pool cue cases| billiard balls

Comment

Originally Posted by holyman1 View Post
              Generally a pool cue is having a tip of 12-13 mm. Snooker cues comes of 9-10 mm cue tips.
              For 9/10 Ball pool yes but for UK 8 ball pool your talking around 8 - 9mm.

Comment

Originally Posted by holyman1 View Post
                not on this isle mate!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Personally I use a 8.5mm size tip for 8 ball. I find any less and it shows up my poor cue-action and too much unwanted side. Anymore and getting spin action becomes hard work!

Comment

I use an 8mm tip

Comment

Originally Posted by bagmeist View Post
                      Personally I use a 8.5mm size tip for 8 ball. I find any less and it shows up my poor cue-action and too much unwanted side. Anymore and getting spin action becomes hard work!
                      Same here.
                      "Practice Makes Perfect"

Comment

A just use ma snooker cue 9.5 mm use your grip to work the white instead of using a dart for cue

Comment

To be fair, I've seen Michael in action.
                          I can honestly say, he definitely strokes things really well, maybe due to the thicker tip & stiffer shaft, he also has a chunkier butt!!
                          Probably, a possible certainty, perhaps, to maybe force his way in to (or roundabout) the top 8, maybe even top 4, or thereabouts,
                          In The Cleland Club.

Comment

Started playing pool with a 7.5mm tip, then 8.5 and now 9mm. Have a beautiful 8mm North West maple cue that I used at Yarmouth but completely comfortable with my 9mm.
                            As they say it's what you're comfortable with.

Comment

One of the county blokes up by me has an old Maple Odyssey Trevor White with a 6mm tip!
                              How in the hell he or anyone else could use it is beyond me.I struggle using anything smaller than 8.5mm,I tend to put unwanted side on longer pots.
                              "Practice Makes Perfect"

Comment

When you go as low as 8mm or less you do get lots more action on the cue ball but in my opinion you rarely need to play a shot with so much check side etc that it cant be done with a 9 or 9.5.Also when playing a shot that needs just a small bit of side( like a slight swerve to pot a ball thats not on) it very hard not to get too much movement on the white.I recently tried an 8mm for about 6 months and went back to my 9.5.I have yet to be caught facing a shot where I needed so much action on the white that I couldnt get it done with 9.5. I admit there are shots which will require more side than I will be able to play with 9.5 but very few and far between.The cons definitely out weigh the pros.keep it simple!

Comment

Working...
                                X