No announcement yet.

Tip size for UK 8 Ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wether it's 6mm or 10mm it's really all about what you get used to and what works for you. Find a cue that suits you and stick with it. I have had small tip Glover , Parris , Trevor White , exquisite and many more but keep going back to my 7 mm with a big mushroom tip Lewis's and Wilson not because it's a better cue because it's what I am used to. Currently have a lovely 8mm wooly legend and a 8.5 mm exquisite green plate with snake wood veneer but not even tried them yet but for me to change cues they will have to feel right in the first half hour of trying them. You just know when it feels right. PS the wooly and exquisite will more than likely be up for sale soon lol.

Comment

for playing pool, nearest cue will do
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Send me a pm when the exquisite's up for sale.

Comment

I had a 8mm tip but after 12 years it had worn down to 7.8mm. I had it re ferruled to 8.5mm which is a perfect size for pool.

Comment

I use 8.5mm tip for 8 ball, it's perfect for the smaller cue ball, although I think some of the world comps use a slightly larger cue ball

Comment

Does a smaller tip create that much more action on cue ball?

Comment

Originally Posted by Brianwalter View Post
                Does a smaller tip create that much more action on cue ball?
                No not that much IMO. I find a smaller tip is good just because the tables are tight and you have to cue by the side of balls, over balls etc. so much more often.

Comment

I play 8 ball pool and have found 8-8.5mm tip to be the best for control of cue ball and especially for cushion shots but there are players playing with bigger and smaller tips but it depends on what you are comfortable with

Comment

My 8 ball cue has a 7.8mm tip on it...

Comment

I have never played with anything bigger than a 9mm, I have tried an 8 and a 8.5mm but always go back to 9mm for more consistency! When I played with an 8.5 I could play some crazy power shots but then i honestly have a huge amount of cue power anyway (I put that down to being 6'5" and used to practice screwing back on a snooker table when I was younger. I still do occasionally and find it does wonders for my cuing compared to the tap tap on the pool table! Try putting a red 10 inches from one of the black pockets in line with the yellow spot, then put the white next to the yellow, practice potting the red and screwing back to the yellow spot, when i do this now I struggle to get it back anywhere near the blue to begin with but after 30 mins just learning to cue properly again it starts to come back. the trick is not to think about what you are doing as your subconscious will know what to do. I have a degree in Psychology and have learned the more you think about what you are doing on a pool/snooker table the worse things will get! Just follow your instincts and you will play better!

Comment

Working...
                      X