Foul snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul snooker

Playing last night came across this... Player had fouled... yellow was covering bottom left with a red touching it,white came to rest next to a yellow at right bottom...The yellow was covering the whole table except the red in the left bottom...now the red could be hit full ball and on the right side, but we were unsure about the left side,because the yellow was behind the red in the jaws. The rules say you should be able to hit both sides or its a foul snooker, but we couldn't see how a ball behind the object ball could be snookering the red.
    Anyone got any idea who was right.
    We let him have the foul snooker and he moved the white, he still lost !!!!

I can't entirely visualise the situation, but it sounds like the cushion or jaw was getting in the way of hitting the left edge of the red.

Does this help from the World Rules:

P. Snookers

1. Definition: A player is Snookered when it is impossible to play the finest cut possible on both sides of any of that player's own Colour by way of a "straight - line" shot. Snookering an opponent is not a foul.
    2. A player cannot be Snookered by a ball of the player's own Colour. That is, if one of the player's own coloured group is an obstructing ball, it will be ignored for the purposes of determining a Snooker.
    3. A player cannot be Snookered on an Object Ball if the Cue Ball is touching that Object Ball.
    4. A player cannot be Snookered by the straight sections of the cushions. If a straight section of a cushion is preventing the finest possible cut on the side of an Object Ball, that section of cushion will be deemed not to exist for the purposes of determining a Snooker on that Object Ball.
    5. If an Object Ball is partly obscured by a curved section of a cushion (Jaw), this in itself does not constitute a Snooker.

Comment

what would happen in this situation then. my opponent fouls on say the yellow only colours left on the table he goes for the yellow and hits the green 1st. that in turn hits the yellow the yellow goes over the bottom pocket and the white gets angled in the yellow pocket. now i know its not a free ball because the cushion doesn't count and i know i could make him play again but my mate said in the club you used to be able to pick the white up and play it from the d is this still a rule or as it ever been a rule as i cant find anything on it.

Comment

First I would point pout that the OP was talking about a situation in 8-ball pool (hence in the Pool section).

With regard to snooker, there used to be the 'angled ball' rule before the 1995 blue rule book, whereby you could indeed play from in hand (from the D) if you were angled after a foul. You've not been able to do that for the last 15 years though! Now you simply have the choice of playing yourself or putting your oppoinent back in from the position left.

Comment

Cheer's Souwester,but we did read the rules, the problem was if the balls had just been against the cus,it was clearly a foul snooker because the red was touching the yellow, but the yellow was just round the jaw which ment the yellow was slightly behind the red (only by 2-3mm) and we were unsure if you could be snookered by a ball behind the object ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
            Cheer's Souwester,but we did read the rules, the problem was if the balls had just been against the cus,it was clearly a foul snooker because the red was touching the yellow, but the yellow was just round the jaw which ment the yellow was slightly behind the red (only by 2-3mm) and we were unsure if you could be snookered by a ball behind the object ball.
            I would say Yes it's a snooker. Certainly in (the game of) snooker, a ball can prevent the finest edge being hit even if that ball is beyond the ball on. Reading the above rule, I would say it fits the description (and, possibly, is better worded than the snooker rule!).

PS I know nothing about pool.

Comment

foul snooker

Had a situation the other night where one person fouled,incoming player asked for a foul snooker ,white was sitting 5mm away from there ball with an opponents ball next to it.Basicly they are sitting in an L shape.World rules state u must be able to do the finest cut on both sides of ur ball but with the white so close to ur ball this is basicly imposible.Dose this still consitute as a foul snooker or not.

Comment

Originally Posted by v8ball View Post
                World rules state u must be able to do the finest cut on both sides of ur ball but with the white so close to ur ball this is basicly imposible.Dose this still consitute as a foul snooker or not.
                It is not impossible. The nearer the cue ball is to the object ball the thinnest edge will move nearer and nearer to the cue ball. The thinnest edge referred to in the rules is the thinnest edge from the position left, so that might just be a millimetre to the left or a a millimetre to the right if there's just a hair's breadth between the cue ball and object ball.

In determining whether there's a (foul) snooker, does the opponent's ball prevent you from playing to the left or right to play the finest contact?

Comment

foul snooker

Cheers for that, tried to find pic,s on the net but couldnt.

Comment

Working...
                  X