Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9-ball - snookered on 'ball on' after break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-ball - snookered on 'ball on' after break?

In 9-ball, can anyone tell me what the ruling says if a player pots on a break but then finds he can't hit the 'ball on' (effectively snookered)? Does he have to try and escape and risk a foul, or is there some kind of shot he's allowed to play without giving a penalty?
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

you can call for a push-out shot. Immediately after the break shot (regardless of its results) the player at the table may call a "push-out", and may then shoot the cue ball to any location on the table (i.e. not into a pocket, in which case the player must continue shooting, nor off the table, which would be a foul), without incurring a foul for failure to hit the lowest-numbered ball on the table, and then control of the table passes to the other player. The incoming player has the choice of accepting the table as it lies, or forcing the pushing-out player to take the next shot. Only one push-out is allowed per game, and it must be immediately after the break. (See also "The rise of 'Texas express' rules", below, for the historical multi-push-out rule variation.)

from wiki

The ideal push-out shot is one that the opponent will believe likely to be makeable, and will accept, but will fail to actually make, giving control of the table back to the pusher-out, and which the pusher-out is confident to make if forced to do so. Thus nine-ball players aim for a push-out that has about a 50/50 chance of being accepted or returned.[1]
    You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
    BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

You could announce 'push out'. It is somewhat similar to touching ball situation at snooker, but the other player may make you play the shot from resulting position again if he doesn't like it.

Excerpt from the rules:
      2.4 Second Shot of the Rack – Push Out
      If no foul is committed on the break shot, the shooter may choose to play a “push out” as his shot. He must make his intention known to the referee, and then rules 6.2 Wrong Ball First and 6.3 No Rail after Contact are suspended for the shot. If no foul is committed on a push out, the other player chooses who will shoot next.

Comment

Thank you so much, vucko. This happens all the time and it's been the source of many an argument. We've always played it as a snooker that the player has to try and escape from, but I knew there was some kind of ruling.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
          Thank you so much, vucko. This happens all the time and it's been the source of many an argument. We've always played it as a snooker that the player has to try and escape from, but I knew there was some kind of ruling.
          No problem I hope that you will now enjoy even more playing 9-ball :snooker:
          You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
          BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

yes, you can use what's known as a "push-out"shot.

This allows you to play the white where you like on the table,but be aware that your opponent can make you play again, after you've played the "push-out" shot.

So you need to think about where you put the white ball.

Comment

Working...
            X