9-ball. A few rule clarifications needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-ball. A few rule clarifications needed

I've already had a specific query answered by vucko117 on another thread, but more have cropped up since. Yes, I know there's a hundred and one places online with all the rules, but when it's a specific ruling you're questioning, finding it can be a nightmare.

Anyway, here's a couple of areas I'm unsure about:

1. I understand the way the 'push-out' stroke works now, and that each player is allowed one per game, but can someone just clarify if this applies to any point during the game, or only after snookering yourself on the break. For instance, if you find yourself in a particularly nasty snooker mid way through the game, can the push-out be called?

2. Does the 'touching ball' rule apply in 9-ball? Yesterday during a game with my brother-in-law, he finished tight up and touching the 8-ball. He insisted that because he was touching the 'ball on' - and already deemed to have played it - that he could simply play the pot on the 9-ball to win the game. Is this the case?

3. At what point is the table 'closed' (as far as it being decided who is on spots and who stripes)? The general thought here is that even after potting on the break - be that a spot, a stripe or one of each - the table is still open, and that it is only after another ball is potted during the second visit or shot, that the order of play is confirmed.

So for instance; I break and pot one of each. I then decide that spots are the best to play for, but fail to make my pot on the choosen ball. Is the table still open when my opponent comes to the table?

Thanks in advance.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I've already had a specific query answered by vucko117 on another thread, but more have cropped up since. Yes, I know there's a hundred and one places online with all the rules, but when it's a specific ruling you're questioning, finding it can be a nightmare.

Anyway, here's a couple of areas I'm unsure about:

1. I understand the way the 'push-out' stroke works now, and that each player is allowed one per game, but can someone just clarify if this applies to any point during the game, or only after snookering yourself on the break. For instance, if you find yourself in a particularly nasty snooker mid way through the game, can the push-out be called?

2. Does the 'touching ball' rule apply in 9-ball? Yesterday during a game with my brother-in-law, he finished tight up and touching the 8-ball. He insisted that because he was touching the 'ball on' - and already deemed to have played it - that he could simply play the pot on the 9-ball to win the game. Is this the case?

3. At what point is the table 'closed' (as far as it being decided who is on spots and who stripes)? The general thought here is that even after potting on the break - be that a spot, a stripe or one of each - the table is still open, and that it is only after another ball is potted during the second visit or shot, that the order of play is confirmed.

So for instance; I break and pot one of each. I then decide that spots are the best to play for, but fail to make my pot on the choosen ball. Is the table still open when my opponent comes to the table?

Thanks in advance.
    1) Push shot is available after the break only and allows you to put the white somewhere reasonably safe. But your opponent can 'pass' on the push shot and put you back to the table so make sure you have a plan rather than just trying to play a snooker.

2) I think that's correct. Touching ball rule applies I think so I don't see why he couldn't play the 9-ball (or any other) as long as he pots or hits the cushion after making contact).

3) Confusing question as 9-ball means you play the balls in sequence, one to nine so I'm not sure what you mean about spots and stripes. Must be talking about a game I'm not familiar with!

Sure someone will have a more detailed answer but that's hopefully in the right direction.

Comment

3) If you are playing 8-ball,and if you pot from the break the table is still open. When you pot first legal ball(without making a foul stroke) the table is closed
      You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
      BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

So sorry, SideShowKeith, lost my thread there with question 3 - I was, of course, talking about 8-ball. Thanks for the other answer.

Thanks for clearing things up Re Q3, vucko.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I guess the rules are somewhat unclear. It applies only after the break. Only the player who's at the table after the break can play a push out. You can't have the other player play this shot if it had already been played by you. And no, you don't necessarily have to be snookered. For tactical reasons you may choose not to pot a ball. For example, it would be silly to pot the 1 ball when it is impossible to get decent position on the 2. You might try to put your opponent into a tough position, make him go for the double, a tough safety, a jump shot or some kind of cushion first shot...but not too tough. If he doesn't like it, he can pass back the shot to you. If you play a good player or a pro player, never ever allow him to see a ball after your push out. Against real good player, one bad push out decision might mean you lost the match already.

Absolutely not. No such thing. He fouled. You have to play the 8 no matter if it's touching. Make sure not to foul yourself by playing a push stroke.

So for instance; I break and pot one of each. I then decide that spots are the best to play for, but fail to make my pot on the chosen ball. Is the table still open when my opponent comes to the table?
          I assume we're at 8ball now. Yes it is. It stays 'open' until somebody legally pots either stripe or solid.
          Last edited by ace man; 21 October 2010, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X