8-ball clearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-ball clearances

To record an 8-ball clearance in pool do you actually have to pot 8 balls at your first visit to the table, or does it still count as an 8-ball clearance if your opponent potted one of each colour at the break, then you come to the table and clear the remaining 6 of your colour and the black (ie 7 balls)?

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
    To record an 8-ball clearance in pool do you actually have to pot 8 balls at your first visit to the table, or does it still count as an 8-ball clearance if your opponent potted one of each colour at the break, then you come to the table and clear the remaining 6 of your colour and the black (ie 7 balls)?

8 balling is only possible off the break. Anything else is a 7 balling.
    Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
      8 balling is only possible off the break. Anything else is a 7 balling.
      I beg to differ. Person breaking doesn't pot anything leaving second player with a free table. He *can* have an 8-ball by deciding colours and clearing up. The main point is you can only do it from your first visit to the table (without using any 'second' visit you may have been awarded).

That's certainly what I've been led to believe.

Comment

That's still a 7 balling in my book. That's how we play it in my league anyway.
        Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Surely, when reversing the situation, if you break and pot say 2 yellows and a red, and the continue to clear the reds and black, that is referred to as a 10 ball break. Therefore, I would say, in the scenario you state, that would be classed as a 7 ball break.

Comment

Originally Posted by Johnnycash View Post
            Surely, when reversing the situation, if you break and pot say 2 yellows and a red, and the continue to clear the reds and black, that is referred to as a 10 ball break. Therefore, I would say, in the scenario you state, that would be classed as a 7 ball break.
            I think people get confused between snooker and pool when talking about 8 and 7 balling. If you pot 2 yellows and a red off the break, nominate and clear that's an 8 balling.

It's not about how many balls you pot. otherwise both players could not pot a ball for 6 goes each, then the next player could clear on his seventh visit to the table and it would be an 8 balling.

Comment

Originally Posted by Johnnycash View Post
              I think people get confused between snooker and pool when talking about 8 and 7 balling. If you pot 2 yellows and a red off the break, nominate and clear that's an 8 balling.

It's not about how many balls you pot. otherwise both players could not pot a ball for 6 goes each, then the next player could clear on his seventh visit to the table and it would be an 8 balling.
              The terms 7-ball and 10-ball breaks don't come into the parlance of pool as far as I am aware nor indeed 'breaks' to mean potting of consecutive balls, only 8-ball clearances.

I've always understood that if the player who breaks clears all of one set of colours and black (possibly including one or more of the other colour set on the break-off shot) is an 8-ball clearance.

Since I've been playing a bit of pool, I've learned that the same can be said if the second player makes a clearance of all of his colour from his first visit to the table (without using 'second visit' after a foul).

My original question is simply this: can the same be said if one or more of the second player's colour set was potted off the break by his opponent. To have an '8-ball clearance' do you have to pot (at least) 8 balls, or can the term be used for a clearance at your first visit regardless of how many balls that involves?

Comment

That's not strictly true because an 8-ball does have to be on your first visit to the table. Nothing might be potted for several visits by both players, but a subsequent clearance at one visit is NOT an official 8-ball clearance in the normal sense of the term, even though it was errm an 8-ball clearance!

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                  That's not strictly true because an 8-ball does have to be on your first visit to the table. Nothing might be potted for several visits by both players, but a subsequent clearance at one visit is NOT an official 8-ball clearance in the normal sense of the term, even though it was errm an 8-ball clearance!

In the context of your first post that would make sense. You cant claim to have an 8 ball clearance if you have spent five previous visits getting the balls into position

Comment

Hmmm.....seems to be a contentious one, this

Where I play (which is a Blackball league), the terms are referred to as a 'break and dish' or a 'dish'.

If a player breaks and then clears it's regarded as a break and dish. If a player breaks, pots nothing after the break and then the next players clears, it's a dish, regardless of how many balls were potted off the break. This does have to be done on a players first visit as mentioned above or else it's not really classed as a dish. I suppose the only exception is if a player foul breaks, and then the next player elects to have the balls re-racked but pots nothing in his/her two shots, and then the first player dishes off the second break on what is technically a second visit.......

Comment

Funny that, when I started playing it was called a "seven and the black" i.e. the seven of your suit and the black and can take place at any time. For me an "8 ball clearance" can take place any time in the frame. A "break and dish" can obviously only be done from the break and a "reverse dish" only in direct reply to the break.

Comment

But does a 'reverse dish' have to involve potting all of your seven colours and the black? Or does it equally apply if your opponent potted one or more of your colour off the break?

Comment

If your opponent pots any balls you don't get to reply to the break. Unless they go in off. The clue is in the name. An "8 ball clearance" involves potting 8 balls, your seven and the black. Irrespective of when or in BB rules however many of your opponents as well.

Comment

I used to be a Big Pool Player.....

When you Break and Pot all 7 Colours and Black thats a Dish.

If your Opponent Breaks and Doesn't Pot a Ball and you Clear all 7 Colours and Black thats a 7 Baller.

They Also call a 7 Baller if your Opponent doesn't Pot a Colour/Ball in the Frame.....And you Clear Up all 7 Colours then the Black.

Hope this Helps Gaz.

Comment

What reward does the player get for a "dish" or "8 baller / 7 baller"
                              or is there a sub-league of these achievements?

ATB
                              Danny
                              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Working...
                              X