Best cloth for english pool table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cloth for english pool table

Just wondered if the Strachan 6811 cloth can be beaten on a 7x4 english 8 ball table? Cheers

I prefer Hainsworth Smart cloth myself.

Russ

Comment

Good stuff, thanks for the reply. Nice to know if I come across a table for sale with either of these cloths, it will be a good surface.

Comment

Strachan 6811 Mostly Used on Snooker Tables as it Doesn't Last Long on Pool Tables at all.

I do Prefer the 6811 Cloth which I always try and Put on My Tables Including Pool Tables.

Comment

My club`s 4 pool tables have 681 Tournament. Very fast and they last approx 1 year. Not bad for heavy use. Visiting teams comment how much faster they play compared to their`s which have Smart. It will also depend on how tight the fitter has stretched the cloth and if he has used proper contact adhesive. The spray glue many use dries out and the cloth comes away around the edge of the slate. The contact takes a little longer to apply but once its stuck, it stays stuck.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
            Strachan 6811 Mostly Used on Snooker Tables as it Doesn't Last Long on Pool Tables at all.

I do Prefer the 6811 Cloth which I always try and Put on My Tables Including Pool Tables.
            This seems the most popular cloth from suppliers, thanks.

Originally Posted by maryfield View Post
            My club`s 4 pool tables have 681 Tournament. Very fast and they last approx 1 year. Not bad for heavy use. Visiting teams comment how much faster they play compared to their`s which have Smart. It will also depend on how tight the fitter has stretched the cloth and if he has used proper contact adhesive. The spray glue many use dries out and the cloth comes away around the edge of the slate. The contact takes a little longer to apply but once its stuck, it stays stuck.
            Good to hear this too. Its for home use but doesn't mean It cant be taken seriously and fitted with a decent cloth. In my local (Q club Glasgow) the Gaffer has just put another 3 new 7x4 tables in the front room, I will ask what they are fitted with. This takes the total to 5 as he runs several leagues on different nights and the punters struggled to get a game. If I ever need a re-cloth, the guy who does your tables sounds like he knows his stuff regarding the contact. Thanks

Comment

I regularly fit both Strachan 6811 and Hainsworth Smart to English pool tables and have used both of these products for the last 8 years. This may be a surprise to some viewers, but both as a player for over 25 years and a fitter, in my opinion Hainsworth Smart is a far superior cloth.

Recently I was asked by one of our local Tour pool players to re-cover his old freeplay Supreme table in his works canteen. This was a table he had bought from another ex-tour player and was still bearing the cloth that I fitted in 2003... This was Hainsworth Smart. Yes it was worn, but not excessively so - despite being hammered frame after frame by both of them when they used to practice World Rules on it hour after hour and day after day, (and was not really saggy, as you would expect after 7 years on a slate!) Anyway, I fitted the new Smart cloth to the bed and cushions and I gather he's well pleased with it.

I realise most World Rules players ask for (and usually get) Strachan 6811... This is due in large part to Supreme supplying it on the new Winner and Prince tables and players are just expecting a re-covered table to play the same as a new Supreme. I can see their point... However, if they've never knowingly played on Smart cloth, then they do not know what they're missing.... Hainsworth Smart's sheen is beautiful, it's equally as fast if not always faster (when fitted correctly) than 6811. It's good for the table owner as with regular attention, keeps it's sheen longer and generally lasts longer also.

Please consider this advice when choosing a cloth next time. For multi table venues, it would be a good test to have 2 tables re-covered on the same day one with 6811, the other with Smart and monitor the reaction from league players and then look at the wear after 6 or 12 months. I'm pretty sure Smart would still be looking good...

Table re-covering service for most of the UK - Tel. 07740102927 for a quote...

Comment

Working...
              X