Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ball pool - best tip type

Hi again guys,

Want to get my cue re tipped in time for the bucs-upc champs in Feb, but am an amateur on tip knowledge.

What type would be best for 8 ball (also play a bit of snooker so need a versatile tip)?

Have a craftsman dominator, 9.5mm if it helps, and obviously need a tip that helps with spin/control etc. Could you direct me to any guides etc on whether to choose soft/hard etc?

A nice worn in blue diamond is ideal for pool , maybe a bit soft when fitted but ideal when settled .

Or an elkmaster , which is quite similar . Both are good for snooker aswell .
    Last edited by hotpot; 19 December 2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

tried nearly all tips on my pool cue, best so far is the mike wooldridge super tip. nothing better at holding the chalk and applying spin. That includes from cheap all the way up to the Kamui, nothing has been so consistent, and I hit the white off of the ball.

Plus get yourself one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...T#ht_500wt_922

saves on the sanding of your tip, which means they last far far longer.

hope this helps.

Comment

i've always used elks, but heard some good things about mike woodridge's super tips too.

Comment

Originally Posted by the_paz View Post
          i've always used elks, but heard some good things about mike woodridge's super tips too.
          Yeah I use Elks too for both my pool and snooker cues. Don't hold with all these fancy pants expensive tips (Talisman, Kuami etc etc....) Seems all a bit too 'faddy' for my liking... One or two of the snooker lads I know have tried them with at best mixed results.

Saw a thread on here the other day and they were quoting £6 - £7 for ONE Tip!!! The average cost of an Elk is usually 50p or thereabouts (and Blue Diamonds only a little bit more..) and these super-duper new fangled tips only do the same job at the end of the day...

As I've said in previous posts - why fix it if it aint broke??

Comment

My favourite tip for pool now is Tweeten's Diamond Plus tips. You can get them from craftsmancues, ADR or Coutt's Cues I think. Very responsive, a tad softer than Elkmaster but firmer and better quality than Blue Diamond because they hold their shape and hit well straight away.
            Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
              Yeah I use Elks too for both my pool and snooker cues. Don't hold with all these fancy pants expensive tips (Talisman, Kuami etc etc....) Seems all a bit too 'faddy' for my liking... One or two of the snooker lads I know have tried them with at best mixed results.

Saw a thread on here the other day and they were quoting £6 - £7 for ONE Tip!!! The average cost of an Elk is usually 50p or thereabouts (and Blue Diamonds only a little bit more..) and these super-duper new fangled tips only do the same job at the end of the day...

As I've said in previous posts - why fix it if it aint broke??
              The problem with both elks and blue diamond are inconsistency. These days even 'good' bedded in blue diamonds move all over the place and I've seen a lot of dudd elkmasters - ok if you can select a good one. More options are always a good thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                The problem with both elks and blue diamond are inconsistency. These days even 'good' bedded in blue diamonds move all over the place and I've seen a lot of dudd elkmasters - ok if you can select a good one. More options are always a good thing.
                Funny one this... I've never yet found a bad Elkmaster, and that's in over 25 years of playing League Pool and Snooker. I am aware of comments on here about inconsistency, but likewise, since I sell them as well I've never had any returned or a complaint about them?? Maybe that is because I only sell the genuine Tweetens Elkmasters and I've never even seen a Dudd or Fake Elkmaster, even though there's talk of such on TSF...

Comment

i think people just dont know what theyre looking for when theyre talking about tips. like if you like a spongy tip, sure u might get spin, but u do lose some amount of power. while i find harder tips hit more 'accurately' but its harder for touch shots and control. dont ask a forum what the 'BEST' something is for anything, cause its all a matter of opinion. personally, i like firm tips. so i like a nice bedded in Blue diamons, Elk, Or fresh out of the tub Pro granite. i find things like talismans etc too firm for Pool, altho the new soft ones r good. aurora r great too. umm omin reds, real nice kick if u like hard tips, but not for me. it just didnt giv me the responsiveness i need. but i like progranite cause i dont need to play them in as much. just half hour hit n its good to go, n lasts ages.

Comment

got a tub of the pro granites, and would tend to agree initially.
                    but after playing with one for a week or two, I just found they got too hard and I ended up scuffing the surface nearly every time I took my cue out of the box......
                    maybe a little to hard for me, but I do agree, its pointless asking really as its all about how you play and your personal preference.
                    You really do have to just try everything out there, to see what suits your style of game....

Comment

Originally Posted by Jellibeen69 View Post
                      got a tub of the pro granites, and would tend to agree initially.
                      but after playing with one for a week or two, I just found they got too hard and I ended up scuffing the surface nearly every time I took my cue out of the box......
                      maybe a little to hard for me, but I do agree, its pointless asking really as its all about how you play and your personal preference.
                      You really do have to just try everything out there, to see what suits your style of game....
                      hav u tried light green master chalk? i guarantee u, it will stick better than triangle. i use master chalk now, if i can, because it just coats much better, and holds on better. even when i miscue i dont bother scuffing or sanding the tip, i just chalk n play. been about a month n a half since i last sanded my tip

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
                        i think people just dont know what theyre looking for when theyre talking about tips. like if you like a spongy tip, sure u might get spin, but u do lose some amount of power. while i find harder tips hit more 'accurately' but its harder for touch shots and control. dont ask a forum what the 'BEST' something is for anything, cause its all a matter of opinion. personally, i like firm tips. so i like a nice bedded in Blue diamons, Elk, Or fresh out of the tub Pro granite. i find things like talismans etc too firm for Pool, altho the new soft ones r good. aurora r great too. umm omin reds, real nice kick if u like hard tips, but not for me. it just didnt giv me the responsiveness i need. but i like progranite cause i dont need to play them in as much. just half hour hit n its good to go, n lasts ages.

Blue Diamond, Diamond plus and Pro-Granite are all buffalo hide tips and having tried all three I'd say Diamond Plus are smack in the middle for hardness. As you say, I do prefer the easier control of a softer tip but don't lack cue power on the small tables and I think the hit feels pretty solid.

Have you tried Diamond Plus? I can send you one if you like

Comment

For me, MW Supertips/Elkmaster

Comment

Eaoin will you send me a Diamond Plus tip pm me mate and we will sort something out

Comment

Whats the difference betwen tweeten blue diamonds and buffalo blue diamonds?

Comment

Working...
                              X