Do you break with an 8mm tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you break with an 8mm tip?

Does anyone here break with their 8mm tip, or do you use another cue for breaking?

I used to but it flattened the tip down far too fast for my liking - in fact, I think it actually fell off in the end

i have always used my playing cue to break, and have played with cues with as small a tip as 7mm !

Comment

A bit too small for me - must be like playing with a knitting needle

How's that Dave Coutts cue of yours playing at the mo? It sticks in my mind as it was such a distinctive cue!

Comment

I have an 8.2mm tip with elkmaster and I break regularly in league pool matches, usually getting one or two colours down. I have not found it flattening and it still has a nice gentle dome that I want for pool and snooker.
        I find break technique and controlled power works best for me, than just brute-power that some of my team use
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I sometimes break with my 8.5 but not always. Started to break with pub cues more and more.

Not just for the balls smashing but the smaller the tip, the more likely it could in off the break.

Other player in my team has about 8.1 tip and he never breaks with it.

Comment

I used to break with my MW shark with an 8.5mm tip but the butts formed a hairline crack. Dont think its anything to do with breaking but have stopped now to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally Posted by DocJ View Post
              A bit too small for me - must be like playing with a knitting needle

How's that Dave Coutts cue of yours playing at the mo? It sticks in my mind as it was such a distinctive cue!
              super mate ! i won last years individual champ last nigh 4-1 in this years comp. dont think ive ever broke and cleared so often before with any cue !
              It is only just over 14oz but were getting on really well

i cleared 5 times in one session off the break last week and again last night i got one, everything good so far !

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                I have an 8.2mm tip with elkmaster and I break regularly in league pool matches, usually getting one or two colours down. I have not found it flattening and it still has a nice gentle dome that I want for pool and snooker.
                I find break technique and controlled power works best for me, than just brute-power that some of my team use
                Agreed. A good, steady cue action with plenty of follow through will generate a much more controlled break. Some players hit the ball so hard i'm amazed that they don't rip the baize or end up planting the white in someone's pint!

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
                super mate ! i won last years individual champ last nigh 4-1 in this years comp. dont think ive ever broke and cleared so often before with any cue !

i cleared 5 times in one session off the break last week and again last night i got one, everything good so far !
                Keep up the good work. Long live, 8 ball

Comment

Yes - I break and can play all the shots with my lovely back weighted, but still nicely balanced, Powerglide Mannock one piece that's just about 8mm... I'ts a short cue approx 54" and I just absolutely adore it... The best thing since sliced bread for playing pool with... And NO -it's not for sale...EVER! - So no offers thanks...

Comment

i used to break with an 8 mil tip, but got a habit of sort of bending the cue into the bed (anyone whos watched chris melling break will know), until my cue snapped 2 inches down when twatting them one day, and unless mike wooldridge gets back to me sharpish i'll still be playing with a cue 2 inches short lol

so my advice is to get either a break cue or break with your mates lol.

Comment

More good advice - if you're gonna snap someone's cue, make sure it's not your own

Comment

I always break with my playing cues
                        and they're always between 8-8.5mm
                        can't say I've ever had any problems
                        with the tips flattening out but I do tend to
                        use quite hard tips

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post

Whats are the specs Crispian, sounds like a nice cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerpoolman View Post
                            Yes - I break and can play all the shots with my lovely back weighted, but still nicely balanced, Powerglide Mannock one piece that's just about 8mm... I'ts a short cue approx 54" and I just absolutely adore it... The best thing since sliced bread for playing pool with... And NO -it's not for sale...EVER! - So no offers thanks...
                            I have a Powerglide Mannock 2 pc cue which I have had since I started snooker back in 1982. I just love this cue and no matter what cue I changed to I always went back to the Mannock. Mine is shortened to 55" as I have short arms.

Funny to hear about others using it as I've never seen another one in all my years in the game (or not in recent times).

I find that it doesn't feel right for pool so changed to another cue but no doubt I will go back to it one day.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mick Dundee View Post
                              I always break with my playing cues
                              and they're always between 8-8.5mm
                              can't say I've ever had any problems
                              with the tips flattening out but I do tend to
                              use quite hard tips
                              agreed ive got an 8mm tip with a talisman soft on they,re like a duracell battery they just keep going !!!
                              http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

Working...
                              X