UK 8 ball break? And tip makes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK 8 ball break? And tip makes?

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum and I NEED help on my break in UK 8 ball! I can't seem to get a consistent powerful break and still pot a ball. Can you give me any techniques you use? Stance? Grip? Bridge? Position of White etc....

Also as well as this i use a Peradon Earl Snooker Cue for both Pool and Snooker, the tip has got very worn down and I need to replace the tip, it comes with an elkmaster. Should i buy another Elkmaster? Or are there better tips? I have heard a lot about the Mike Woodridge Supertip? I've only ever had an Elkmaster tip so i'm not sure whether i like hard or soft tips but i understand my current tip is soft.
    Thanks guys for any help you can give me.

Hi there,
    welcome to the forum, I think you will find all you want to know about tips on here if you do a search. I think the basic rule is that what ever suits you best is the "right" tip for you (there's no hard and fast rule).
    This is a very good site, a bit pricey but worth every penny if you are serious about pool. www.8ballCoach.com

ATB
    Danny
    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
      This is a very good site, a bit pricey but worth every penny if you are serious about pool. www.8ballCoach.com

ATB
      Danny
      The prices are

PUB LEVEL COURSE is £79

PUB + CLUB
      LEVEL COURSES is £149

PUB + CLUB + TOUR
      LEVEL COURSES is £199

Is the top course worth it?

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've played 8 ball league pool and snooker for over 25 years and swear by Elkmasters. Just to clarify the hard/soft tip issue. Usually you'll find that Blue Diamonds are soft and Elkmasters are harder - as Danam say's it's personal preference. I used to use BD, can't do now though - find them too soft.

As for the break-off at 8 ball. Just put cue ball exactly in middle of baulk line and hit the head ball square on full ball... I usually apply back spin or stun to get the cue ball out of the way - works for me. Also make sure the rack is very tight - all balls touching...

Just a word of caution about what you'll see on here. There's an awful lot of mumbo-jumbo about Super duper tips with various dreamt up names . . £5, £6 and £7 a pop... Stick to Elks at 50p, or BD's around 70p and you wont go far wrong mate....As I always say, don't fix it if it aint broke!!!

Comment

ATB
          Danny
          The prices are

PUB LEVEL COURSE is £79

PUB + CLUB
          LEVEL COURSES is £149

PUB + CLUB + TOUR
          LEVEL COURSES is £199

Is the top course worth it?

Comment

i used tp play american 8-9 ball and the the harder the tip the better.
            But they are bigger balls. but we had 2 cues one just for break.

Comment

Thanks a lot i just bought a box of 50 elkmasters. As you seem to know your stuff about pool can you explain why in english pool we don't use Break Cues like Singchin said in American pool? (Thanks i'll try breaking how you said).

Comment

Originally Posted by Dknox1 View Post
                Thanks a lot i just bought a box of 50 elkmasters. As you seem to know your stuff about pool can you explain why in english pool we don't use Break Cues like Singchin said in American pool? (Thanks i'll try breaking how you said).
                You can use a breaking cue if you wish a lot of guys in our league use a 9 ball cue to break with with a 14mm tip! And then back to their standard cue with 7-8mm tip

Comment

crucial thing is that all the balls are touching. then place the white ball on the baulk line 2 thirds of the way to the right of the D and hit the apex ball with top spin and left hand side - you should pot the second ball on the left hand side into the middle pocket - the tricky bit in most games is the balance between spin and power, these days the best players use very very hard phenolic resin tips on special break cues and batter the pack, its harder to be sure where anything goes but they will all go everywhere!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Hi there,
                    welcome to the forum, I think you will find all you want to know about tips on here if you do a search. I think the basic rule is that what ever suits you best is the "right" tip for you (there's no hard and fast rule).

ATB
                    Danny
                    A bit pricey?!

Have you bought any of his packages?!
                    Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
                      A bit pricey?!

Have you bought any of his packages?!
                      Do you mean they are very expensive and pointless or are you saying they are not pricey because they are so good???

Comment

Do you mean they are very expensive and pointless or are you saying they are not pricey because they are so good???
                        £80-£200 strikes me as very expensive! Would like to here the feedback on them.
                        Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
                          £80-£200 strikes me as very expensive! Would like to here the feedback on them.
                          I agree with you there although looking at the website it looks very good stuff. Although I won't be splashing out that much, however good it is.

Comment

I agree with you there although looking at the website it looks very good stuff. Although I won't be splashing out that much, however good it is.
                            Can't imagine it can be good enough to justify that much money. But like you say, the website looks good.

Comment

Seen some 8ballcoaching on youtube, looks ok but not sure about £200.

Comment

Working...
                              X