Pool Table WHITE BALL Aramith 1 7/8" Pro Cup Cue Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool Table WHITE BALL Aramith 1 7/8" Pro Cup Cue Ball

The ball with measles.. Any good ? or over priced gimmick.

Cheapest I can find is 13 quid. Still tempted though :-)

Originally Posted by RedThunder View Post

they are a gimmick - i can do a bit cheaper than that though.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Sorry to disagree ADR.They are NOT by any means a gimmick. I have used one for some years in my coaching both to illustrate spins and to more easily read badly struck shots. English billiards .org of which I am a forum consultant use them in most of their instructional videos and the EBOS are looking to have them included in billiard sets. I do agree that the price is high but in this Saluc have the monopoly!!.My usage is for English billiards and snooker 2.1/16" version but I have sold a good few of the 8ball pool 1.7/8"
      balls. Most televised USA pool uses a similar ball.

Comment

i agree if you can have access to recording equipment they provide a method of examining the spin etc but for everyday use they are just a distraction - also one ball costs nearly as much as a full set of plain balls. monopolys are not good for the general public!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Thanks chaps.

Sorry ADR missed your post and already went amd ordered one on ebay for 13.

I do have slomo camera which will be fun :-)

.... especially my minuscule draw shots :-) Which I can only seem to achieve with a closed bridge ?

I'll post some vids.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
            Sorry to disagree ADR.They are NOT by any means a gimmick. I have used one for some years in my coaching both to illustrate spins and to more easily read badly struck shots. English billiards .org of which I am a forum consultant use them in most of their instructional videos and the EBOS are looking to have them included in billiard sets. I do agree that the price is high but in this Saluc have the monopoly!!.My usage is for English billiards and snooker 2.1/16" version but I have sold a good few of the 8ball pool 1.7/8"
            balls. Most televised USA pool uses a similar ball.
            I use a training ball, with markings as opposed to spots and I find it very useful.

The markings can be placed so that there is a target to strike center ball, or with top/bottom. This helps understanding where to cue, and as a double check on my cueing. When played up over the spots from that position, the markings form a nice neat band of colour as the ball rolls. It makes it very easy to tell if the ball comes back off center, whether it was due to adding side spin (the band of colour is not neat, but is wobbly) or just aiming slightly left/right (the band is neat, but it still comes back left/right of center).
            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
            - Linus Pauling

Comment

It would be interesting to know if this 'training' b all is of a weight and density that complies with the ball sets you use for play. In my experience they are rubbish.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                It would be interesting to know if this 'training' b all is of a weight and density that complies with the ball sets you use for play. In my experience they are rubbish.
                I didn't even think of that. I only use it to practice straight cueing, and never when I am practicing potting or position, but I suppose if it was much heavier or lighter I might be training in the wrong understanding of power for shots.

I'll weight it tonight and post back the results.
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

There are lots of differring opinions about the pro cup balls
                  some say they are different weights to the plain ones
                  and don't play the same
                  and to be fair there is a local pool team who bring one out
                  for matches that doesn't belong to the set of balls used
                  and it plays terrible
                  whereas I have one at home with a set of aramith balls
                  and I can't tell the difference between the plain and spotted balls
                  some tournaments I've played in only use the spotted whites
                  i think it's just people are not used to seeing them so
                  immediately don't like them

Comment

My posting was endorsing the balance of the pro-cup ball against Aramith balls from their tournament champion range. My question to Nrage was whether his ball was in balance with his set. The liklihood if his ball is of Asian origen is that it is not.

Comment

I thought all snooker balls were 2 1/16 incheas and all eight or nine balls were 2 1/4in(us) or international . As for all billiards balls or caroms were 2 3/8 in. As for dots on cue balls they were made for tv so the viewers could see the spin on the cue ball when the player shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by RedThunder View Post

As far as i am aware all will become the norm in all 8 ball pool.
                        all our comps are to played with spotted whites
                        we are going over to bridlington to play in the european's on the 23rd of april which this is all played with spotted whites.
                        Cheers Darren

Comment

Working...
                        X