Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arranging your balls.. is there a definative way ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck in your match tonight.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback :-)

I'll start using, as mentioned before...

____R
      ___Y R
      __R B Y
      _Y R Y R
      R Y Y R Y

Probably swap the Y and R around just to be a rebel now and again ;-)

Comment

Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
        I just had a look at the rules there is a picture of how to set the balls up next to that in brackets it clearly states red or yellow may be used .
        It dosent say that in world rules.
        Aus rules you can swap the yellows and reds around.
        Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

I think the intention in world rules for the reds to be always at the front is in case of the unlikely event that both a red and yellow are knocked off the table onto the floor in the same visit.

Any object balls knocked off the playing surface need to be respotted.

If both a red and a yellow were knocked off the playing surface then if "reds at the front of the rack" was always enforced, the ref would know for certain that the red went on the black spot and the yellow immediately behind it.

Comment

The respotting question doesn't really affect the positioning of balls in the triangle, because World Rules specify the order in which balls should be spotted if required: black ball, reds, then yellows. (Section T of the rules).

Comment

Hmm... I wonder if I'll get slapped for promoting this old(ish) thread?

As a big Bapto fan I needed to have the reason for each of the World Rules explained to me when I made the switch, so I could see the value in the rules and of course understand them.

I've learned that each rule is the result of experience, thought, balance and supports a true understanding of how the game can be made even more beautiful.

For example the reasoning behind two shots carrying can be explained... the reasoning behind having to touch a cushion can be explained... etc etc.

But there is no logical argument for having the same colour at the front of the pack on every rack. Obviously as long as the pattern is identical then that is all that matters.

Even if it were stipulated in the rules, which as far as I can see it isn't, it would be a bullsh1t rule and I would elect myself leader of the 'make the front ball yellow' campaign to highlight how utterly ridiculous it is. We have to move past these stupid little hurdles and stupid little people who put them in our way.

Blind obedience to nonsensical 'rules' is not a strength in the U.K.

U.

Comment

We have a rebel in midst! Welcome to TSF mate. Sounds like you want the rule to be made so you can campaign against it. I remember when I used to have that much spare energy.

Couldn't agree more though, it would be a silly arbitrary rule, if it existed.

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

THIS IS HOW WE SET THEM UP R or Y AT THE TOP
                  --------R
                  -------Y R
                  ------R B Y
                  -----Y R Y R
                  ----R Y R Y Y

Comment

Originally Posted by finabb View Post
                    THIS IS HOW WE SET THEM UP R or Y AT THE TOP
                    --------R
                    -------Y R
                    ------R B Y
                    -----Y R Y R
                    ----R Y R Y Y
                    Not for World Rules, though, as has been stated earlier.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                      The respotting question doesn't really affect the positioning of balls in the triangle, because World Rules specify the order in which balls should be spotted if required: black ball, reds, then yellows. (Section T of the rules).
                      Indeed..hence the inconsistency. Saying that the order of respotted balls should be black, red then yellow but not defining the lead ball in the rack is ridiculous. Someone could have a frame where yellow was at the apex of the rack, then later in the frame the guy on reds knocks both a red and a yellow off the table surface. The cue ball could be on the table in a place where the respotted red could be potted into a centre pocket but not the respotted yellow after they've been respotted in line. This doesn't work for the guy on yellows if it's now his turn does it?
                      Last edited by komakino; 6 May 2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Was explained to a friend at recent BUCS pool event. Something to do with the red glaring less or something over the yellow.

Comment

Working...
                        X