Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draw/Screw why can only do this with a closed bridge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draw/Screw why can only do this with a closed bridge ?

I can only draw with a closed bridge. But for the love of money not open.

What am I doing wrong ??? Close bridge feel weird to me an d would love to it with an open bridge.

Any decent video tutorials out there that may help :-)

Are you a pool player or snooker player. i think you should stick some video up of yourself so we can see whats going on

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
      Are you a pool player or snooker player. i think you should stick some video up of yourself so we can see whats going on
      Pool mostly hardly ever play snooker. Buthave always played with an open bridge, the closed bridge feel horrible to me and unatural. I'll try and sort some video pot :-)

Comment

Hopefully I can help a little.....

It may be that the hand /arm the holds the butt of the cue is currently not maintaining a straight line (either in the horizontal or vertical plain). Usually the route cause is travel in the elbow/shoulder). By closing your bridge you are restricting the travel / wobble of your cue but when using an open bridge there is not the same level of control. Given that you are having trouble with screw/draw shots I would suggest your problems are probably vertical (ie up & down) & that you need to concentrate on hitting the white exactly where you are aiming as your cue is probably travelling down (causing miscue) or up (reducing draw/screwback).

It is also vital to note that you MUST accelerate through the cue ball & follow through as much as the shot permits. Do not jab at the white as this will create a stun shot.

Personally I use my wrist in addition to my arm (a bit like a fast bowler in cricket) in order to generate additional momentum required to play a significant screwback / draw shot. By using this method am able to draw the cueball the length of a snooker table from 10ft consistently & have named this shot 'mega screw/draw ! By no means is this the only way to play the shot but I find it works for me & may do the same for you ?

I would also suggest that if you can get your wrist involved (it will take a great deal of practice to develop any consistency) you could use the same method for breaking in order to generate the extra power required for a decent split & a couple of balls from the break to boot.

I would firstly concentrate in delivering the cue in a consistently straight line (both horizontal & vertical) & the rest will follow !

To be fair, many Pool players (I am assuming that you play American Pool) use a closed bridge & it may well be worth adapting your method to incorporate this ? I am approaching things from a Snooker perspective where closed bridges are not the vogue although cueing in a conistently straight line is a requirement for ALL cuesports.

I share your frustration within another sport, I would love to be a decent Golfer but my swing is not consistent & therefore neither is my game.

Good luck & keep practising dude.

Comment

This explains the problem:
          http://www.youtube.com/user/FargoBil...10/ZqqakiKbhHI

I had a similar problem, I could not screw the ball well, or consistently until I removed some unwanted sideways movement on my stroke. The sideways movement would cause me to miss-cue when I aimed low on the white, because of this I started hitting it higher up, consciously/unconsciously to avoid the miss-cue. Now that I am cueing straight, I can aim lower, and hit lower, and screw the ball.

I used a 360 pure cue last weekend, it has shown I can cue straight and I could even generate screw with it
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Thanks all. Off to practice more.

Comment

Working...
            X