American Pool Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Pool Cues

I'm predominantly a snooker player, but like to play a bit of 8-ball/9-ball "on the side". I'm looking to play a bit more frequently as there's a bit more competition out there for these particular cuesports in New Zealand.

I'll be travelling through San Francisco on the way to England next year and am considering buying myself a cue while I'm in the US (there's not much to choose from in New Zealand).

Can anyone recommend a cue to purchase?

I don't exactly have a budget in mind but I just want a good quality, basic cue for a reasonable price. I'm not so interested in fancy designs that will just add to the cost.

The other thing I see is many of the American-style cues have leather or nylon wraps. I've no idea why these are necessary - maybe for better grip or better look, I'm not sure.

I presume you can get cues without the wraps? The main reason I ask is that I would probably need a cue with extra length (about 60" instead of the standard 58"). With a standard length cue, I'd probably be holding the cue right at the butt rather than on the wrap.

Does anyone know anywhere I can purchase American style pool cues with extra length?

If the only thing you look for in a cue is quality and playing "skills", then I suggest you buy one from McDermott Competitor Series (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/Competitor.asp). McDermott is cheap, yet used by professionals. I got a Genesis Titanium Grey (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/MG02_a.asp) myself and I can assure you it's a really good cue.

The wrap is there to get a better, more balanced, grip, so you can grip very lightly and yet get the right amount of power. I strongly advice you to buy a cue with irish linen as wrap.

About the extra length, that will most proabably increase the prize, as the basic models only come in standard 147 cm length. I have no idea how many cues come in different sizes, but it can't be many. Are you really sure you need that extra 4 cm? Maybe you use a too long bridge? (No offence, I'm just speculating, you are proably a more experienced player than me).

I've probablt forgotten half of what I intended to say, but I blame that on fever. Ask again if you need more advice!

Comment

Just make sure you get a predator shaft - either first or second series with the pro taper....the butt will make a difference but it's the shaft that is most important.

You could try the naturally tapered predator Z shaft also.
      MaXimumbreak - Where Everyone's a Winner
      It's now free to join!!!
      MaXimumbreak Snooker Store

Comment

Predator is good - however expensive. Not totally worth its price IMO.

Comment

Working...
        X