English 8 ball pool tactics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
    I'd like to debate this (on a friendly level of course) but first just want to clarify if you're playing world rules or blackball? Because I thought EPA had world rules and founded the WEPF in which Australia also has membership? In world rules there's no loss of frame penalty for deliberately potting an opponent's ball, but in black ball there is. Maybe you're playing EBA (European Blackball Association).

In blackball you actually can pot your opponent's ball if you hit one of yours first. Is that so different though because it's allowed under the rules? In world rules that carries a penalty of 2 shots. If you don't mind incurring the penalty then it's no problem.

The "if you're good enough" argument doesn't wash with me, because it takes a lot less skill to block a pocket and leave it there than it does for the other player to try and dig out 2 or more balls that may be in very close contact with the blocking ball. Some players actually practise the skill of blocking pockets.

And it takes some tactical skill to pot an opponent's ball and get an advantage. It often doesn't work. I think that's the issue for some players, especially those who are new to world rules and rely on blocking pockets. It's not an ethical issue at all so long as everyone knows the rules.

Whether it spoils the game is a matter of perspective. If you accept and embrace the tactical elements of world rules with all of it's nuances it can add to the enjoyment. I personally think pool needs this extra tactical dimension because it's so easy in terms of potting and position.
    Yeah you can do that and give away two shots. Just as long as you don't make it look like a df but I watch alot of bb pool and don't really see that happening. You can pot your opponents ball if you pot yours as well (2 in 1 hitting yours first) which takes skill. A df IMO ruins the tactical side of the game. If your opponent has a ball over a the bag which is hindering yours in WR you could do a df, pot his and in most cases while potting his you could also muck a few of his balls up in the process. This I find unfair because the 2 shots you have given you opponent could work to your advantage now. Because the 2 shots might not be enough to get them back in the position they were in.

Comment

Originally Posted by csrfc View Post
      This I find unfair because the 2 shots you have given you opponent could work to your advantage now. Because the 2 shots might not be enough to get them back in the position they were in.

Yes but you only do it when you have been disadvantaged by the pocket your opponent is blocking.
      Last edited by eaoin11; 26 June 2011, 12:02 PM.
      Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Yeah but your opponent has fudged a bit and put his ball over the bag to make him favourite. What is the point in learning saftey tactics such as blocking bags when you can put your opponent back to square 1 by potting his ball and sometimes the 2 shots wont put you opponent favourite again. IMO it takes no skill and would stop the better player from winning. If the other player done a straight 2 in 1 (his and opponents in same bag) then fair enough a good skilful shot to get you out of trouble.

Comment

yes DandyA thanks, sorry im talking about the old epa rules which i play in my pub, no matter what in a pool game you will always have a chance or find a chance to either a) play screw off one of your own balls thus removing the opponents ball from your ball or even potting yours or b) playing a shot which will force him to play at his ball that is covering yours.

only if its your last ball and the opponent covers your ball in the last minute then you should think about a deliberate foul if indeed thats how you choose to play,

most pool games you can see whats on the table and just thinking a bit often over comes any situation, im not trying to argue here but i really think playin a deliberate foul is un sporting and unfair

Matt
          Do Not Mock The Snake For Having No Legs, For Who Is To Say One Day It May Become A Dragon!:disgust:
          KRO..

Comment

Originally Posted by csrfc View Post
            Yeah but your opponent has fudged a bit and put his ball over the bag to make him favourite. What is the point in learning saftey tactics such as blocking bags when you can put your opponent back to square 1 by potting his ball and sometimes the 2 shots wont put you opponent favourite again. IMO it takes no skill and would stop the better player from winning. If the other player done a straight 2 in 1 (his and opponents in same bag) then fair enough a good skilful shot to get you out of trouble.
            Why does 'fudging a bit' and blocking a pocket make someone the better player? It gives far too much advantage and requires little skill or ability to read the table. Playing the deliberate foul is a way to overcome this, and it takes a lot more care than fudging a bit because you are giving away two shots. I just think some players are too attached to the comfort zone a blocked pocket provides.

Comment

Originally Posted by blurry_121 View Post
              yes DandyA thanks, sorry im talking about the old epa rules which i play in my pub, no matter what in a pool game you will always have a chance or find a chance to either a) play screw off one of your own balls thus removing the opponents ball from your ball or even potting yours or b) playing a shot which will force him to play at his ball that is covering yours.

only if its your last ball and the opponent covers your ball in the last minute then you should think about a deliberate foul if indeed thats how you choose to play,

most pool games you can see whats on the table and just thinking a bit often over comes any situation, im not trying to argue here but i really think playin a deliberate foul is un sporting and unfair

Matt
              Hi Matt yes there are a lot of other ways to deal blocked pockets, but of there's money on the line there is no way I'm taking the lower percentage option, and I wouldn't expect my opponent to either.

I understand that people see it that way though, and so it depends on the situation as to whether I play that shot. In leagues it's totally fine here in Brisbane.

Comment

I personally think that the term "deliberate foul" is to blame with what people perceive with what they dislike about World Rules.

I think it's best to now think of this type of shot as a tactical shot no different to playing a ball over the pocket rather than "deliberate foul". If this rule was brought in from day one I assume no one would be complaining about it but we must remember that these rules have now been introduced to promote attacking play rather than have games that can go on for prolonged periods of time.

Blackball rules seem to be getting popular also so I guess for those who really don't like World Rules can play Blackball instead. I assume most regional leagues have a Blackball league as well as World Rule leagues.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                  Hi all

I'm new here and used to play a lot of snooker many years ago. I started in 1982 and probably stopped around 20 years ago with some very brief games now and again. I would say at my peak (25 yrs ago) I would be a regular 50+ break player but would be lucky to get a 20 break these days!

The last 2 years I played the odd game of pool in between playing darts (play in a league) and I was beating all the local team league player on a regular basis. They all tried to persuade me to play for them the last 2 years but I declined as I wasn't really "into" pool and my victories were part luck than anything else. I would just pot everything and only play safe when there was absolutely no pot on!

I decided to start playing league pool a few weeks back and must admit I've been disappointed with my results and started thinking I'm letting the team down!

I have played a few games now and have started well and nearly clearing up at the first visit but run out of position usually when there is one of my balls left! Then the experienced pool player clears up and game over.....

Some games my potting success rate is 100% but one safety shot (obviously not good enough) and my opponent is back in. He post a few balls then I'm snookered again....

I appreciate that the more balls that are potted at the beginning the easier it is for the opponent as all my balls are not obstacles for his balls.

I would like to learn more about the tactical side of the game as I'm relatively new to the World Rules and competitive pool in general.

Are there any sites or useful info about there of learning about tactics to be successful?

Any help would be useful as i don't want to pack in before I've given it a chance but don't want to be losing week in week out!

In 8 Ball Pool, mastering tactics is essential for success, whether you're a beginner or a seasoned player. One key tactic is strategic ball selection, which involves assessing the layout of the table and choosing the optimal balls to pot based on their positions and the game situation. By selecting the right balls to target, players can set themselves up for future shots and gain a tactical advantage over their opponents. Additionally, understanding ball control techniques such as position play and cue ball placement is crucial for maintaining control of the game and preventing your opponent from capitalizing on mistakes.

Another important tactic in 8 Ball Pool is shot selection and execution. Players must carefully consider factors such as angle, spin, and power when lining up their shots to ensure accuracy and maximize their chances of success. Whether it's executing a precise bank shot, applying backspin to control the cue ball's position, or using a combination shot to clear multiple balls in a single stroke, mastering different shot techniques is key to outmaneuvering opponents and securing victory. By honing their tactical skills and adapting their strategies to the ever-changing dynamics of the game, players can elevate their 8 Ball Pool gameplay to new heights and become formidable competitors on the virtual pool table.

Comment

When playing virual pool can one have a crap cue action ? move on the shot ? decelerate on the delivery stroke ? get a kick ? get put off by a mobile phone ? defecate into ones hand and throw it at your opponent like a chimpanzee if one loses ? get threatened in the toilets by the local meathead ? have to put up with 90 decibel rap on the jukebox ? have your opponents girlfriend flash her knickers at you when you're on the black ? all the usual and unusual things that happen in british pubs ?
                    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      get threatened in the toilets by the local meathead ? have to put up with 90 decibel rap on the jukebox ? have your opponents girlfriend flash her knickers at you when you're on the black ? all the usual and unusual things that happen in british pubs ?
                      fantastic!
                      the memories 🤣🤣🤣
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

In 8-ball, where snooker players often underperform relative to their cue skill level is in the way the see the table

In snooker, when you get to the table you tend to look at the easy balls - pick the low-hanging fruit first. Only when you have got those points on the board, do you think about developing other balls (and possibly leaving yourself on nothing and having to play safe).

But you do not get points for potting balls in 8-ball. There is no benefit in potting say 6 balls if you then have to play safe. In fact it is a disadvantage to have potted those balls. It means you will have fewer options if you get back to the table. And there are fewer obstacles for your opponent to negotiate. So in general, an 8-ball player should not start potting his balls unless he thinks he can run them all out.

This means that in 8-ball, when you get to the table you tend to look at the difficult balls - think how you can develop these.

So the snooker player looks at an 8-ball table and sees easy balls that can be potted. The 8-ball player looks at the same table and sees the problem balls which he needs to sort.

Comment

Originally Posted by Siz View Post
                          In 8-ball, where snooker players often underperform relative to their cue skill level is in the way the see the table

In snooker, when you get to the table you tend to look at the easy balls - pick the low-hanging fruit first. Only when you have got those points on the board, do you think about developing other balls (and possibly leaving yourself on nothing and having to play safe).

But you do not get points for potting balls in 8-ball. There is no benefit in potting say 6 balls if you then have to play safe. In fact it is a disadvantage to have potted those balls. It means you will have fewer options if you get back to the table. And there are fewer obstacles for your opponent to negotiate. So in general, an 8-ball player should not start potting his balls unless he thinks he can run them all out.

This means that in 8-ball, when you get to the table you tend to look at the difficult balls - think how you can develop these.

So the snooker player looks at an 8-ball table and sees easy balls that can be potted. The 8-ball player looks at the same table and sees the problem balls which he needs to sort.
                          You are so right. There's nothing more frustrating than doing all the hard work then missing the last ball, knowing your oppo has just been handed a huge advantage. They really are very different games, despite the shared equipment.

-
                          The fast and the furious,
                          The slow and labourious,
                          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

You are so right. There's nothing more frustrating than doing all the hard work then missing the last ball, knowing your oppo has just been handed a huge advantage. They really are very different games, despite the shared equipment.

-
                            I've got a set of snooker size pool balls and playing 8 ball on a snooker table is very, very difficult, break and run out doesn't happen so the game becomes more tactical but as it's a snooker table the tactical game is harder as well. It would never catch on but as an experiment it was intriguing. Don't use them anymore, don't know where they are, somewhere down the club hidden away no doubt.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

I've got a set of snooker size pool balls and playing 8 ball on a snooker table is very, very difficult, break and run out doesn't happen so the game becomes more tactical but as it's a snooker table the tactical game is harder as well. It would never catch on but as an experiment it was intriguing. Don't use them anymore, don't know where they are, somewhere down the club hidden away no doubt.
                              I think the restricted playing area of a smaller table also adds it's own difficulty. Although it's easier to pot, moving the cueball around among the clutter can be tricky, there's also more 'pocked per cushion' to go in off. And if you end up knocking the black around, playing safe is a nightmare, how can you get distance between, when there is very little distance.

-
                              The fast and the furious,
                              The slow and labourious,
                              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post

I think the restricted playing area of a smaller table also adds it's own difficulty. Although it's easier to pot, moving the cueball around among the clutter can be tricky, there's also more 'pocked per cushion' to go in off. And if you end up knocking the black around, playing safe is a nightmare, how can you get distance between, when there is very little distance.

-
                                I started off as an 8 ball pool player on an Arca table (big balls with the larger cue ball) but when I took up snooker I had to really get my cue action into focus for better accuracy and once I did I found pool very easy to win but also very easy to lose to a poor player who simply set out to stop me. I have bad memories of the negative side of the game, playing county matches that took hours and hours of pocket blocking and roll up snookers did my head in, yes I know the rules have changed but I don't want to go back.

I remember one match away in plymouth especially, we played best of 15 frames, five man team three frames each, my first frame I smashed the break, potted two and cleared up, I didn't see a ball the next two frames each of which took over half an hour of blocking pockets and roll up snookers, never experienced anything like it, bloke was blocking a pocket then tapping a ball twice when he still had two visits to get two visits, what mindset is that ?
                                Match started at 7pm and there were still three frames left to play when time was called at 11pm, 12 frames in four hours on two tables so we had a team meeting and decided to give them the last three and go home as we had a 60 mile drive ahead of us in the middle of winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X