WPA Eight Ball Rule Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WPA Eight Ball Rule Question

Playing by the WPA eight ball rules, but have 2 question that I can not find answers for in the rules.
    1. If I pot my nominated ball but then an opposition players ball is knocked in, is this a foul and ball in hand for opposition?

2. If the answer to Q1 is no you continue to play does this apply when you are on the Black?

Thanks

I think it should be ok, in the general rules it says;
    1.6 Standard Call Shot
    In games in which the shooter is required to call shots, the intended ball and pocket must be indicated for each shot if they are not obvious. Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant. Only one ball may be called on each shot."

So it's ok to pot an opponent's ball this way.

Then in the rules for 8 ball;

3.6 Shots Required to Be Called
    On each shot except the break, shots must be called as explained in 1.6 Standard Call Shot. The eight ball may be called only after the shot on which the shooter’s group has been cleared from the table. The shooter may call “safety” in which case play passes to the opponent at the end of the shot and any object ball pocketed on the safety remains pocketed. (See 8.17 Safety Shot.)

3.8 Lists loss of rack fouls but doesn't mention your scenario so falling back on 1.6, it should be ok to call and pot the black as well as an opponent's ball.
    Last edited by eaoin11; 1 July 2011, 11:35 PM. Reason: realised I hadn't answered the qn
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Thanks.
      But if I have cleared my group and on the black nominate and pot the black but then the white knocks in one of my opponets balls do i win or loose
      ?

Comment

Sorry, realised I hadn't answered that then went back and edited it. I think you win. Better get someone to confirm tho...

Comment

Originally Posted by TexPacman View Post
          Thanks.
          But if I have cleared my group and on the black nominate and pot the black but then the white knocks in one of my opponets balls do i win or loose
          ?
          I would have thought you lose ??

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            I would have thought you lose ??
            In most other rules, like world rules and blackball you do, but in WPA 8 ball rule 1.6 says; "Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant".

And there is no exception outlined for when you're on the black. It says that you lose if you foul when potting a black, but in WPA 8 ball it's not a foul to pot an opponent's ball if you struck the nominated ball first.

Comment

Originally Posted by TexPacman View Post
              Thanks.
              ?
              Hi when you are shooting on the Black Ball every foul you make you lose the game. The Black ball must be potted only any other ball that goes in you lose the game.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
                Hi when you are shooting on the Black Ball every foul you make you lose the game. The Black ball must be potted only any other ball that goes in you lose the game.

Hope that helps
                That sounds right, but rule 1.6 suggests that it's not a foul? I just couldn't find where this is explained in the WPA rules.

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                  In most other rules, like world rules and blackball you do, but in WPA 8 ball rule 1.6 says; "Details of the shot, such as cushions struck or other balls contacted or pocketed are irrelevant".

And there is no exception outlined for when you're on the black. It says that you lose if you foul when potting a black, but in WPA 8 ball it's not a foul to pot an opponent's ball if you struck the nominated ball first.
                  You don't lose the game in Blackball rules. So long as you contact the black first and then pot it, it doesn't matter if you pot your opponents ball(s) as well. It's called a skill shot. In World Rules, you do.........

Comment

Originally Posted by DocJ View Post
                    You don't lose the game in Blackball rules. So long as you contact the black first and then pot it, it doesn't matter if you pot your opponents ball(s) as well. It's called a skill shot. In World Rules, you do.........
                    So if your opponent's ball is blocking the pocket with the black immediately in front of it, as long as you strike the black first you can happily pot both your opponents ball and the black to win the frame? Hmmm, sounds daft to me.

Comment

Yes, that's correct. It's hardly an easy shot though, and taking in to account the fact that if you foul then the frame will most likely be lost, it's a dangerous shot too........that's why it's called a skill shot.

You can also pot your final ball and the black ball in the same shot as well, so long as you strike your ball first........same principle but nowhere near as dangerous!

Comment

My understanding is that it's the same in WPA from the rules I've read. The montrealer says that it's a foul and therefore loss of frame but I haven't found where this is explained.

Comment

Working...
                        X