Congratulations Tom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations Tom.

At Players ,yesterday,Tom Cousins played Mark Farnsworth in a 40k money match (see previous posts/threads).Knowing their respective player rankings and the supposed "needle" involved it was always going to be a tight match.Tom won 30-25,congratulations to Tom and all his supporters on the day.

oldschool:

Not being familiar with either TOM or MARK or what game they play but assuming they played 55 games then I also assume this was either 9-ball or else a snooker match over a week or so?

Also, was it for 40,000 Pounds? Or is my leg being pulled here?

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

was 40k (gbp)
      it was very strange, (IMO) marc went 4 1 up, but had 2 break n dishes in the whole match. by the interval, (15 14) marc had only made a ball off 3 of his breaks. personally feel if mark wants a go again at anyone he needs to sort his break, i watched him against potts the previous weekend an this weekend an both matches his break isnt good enough at the very top level. if hes intent on getting a good white, its deffo an area where he needs work. potts an cousins appear to break similar, an monster, with that break marc wouldnt lose.
      terry it was a 8-9 hour 8 ball match (english 8 ball)

Comment

yeah it was english 8 ball pool, played to world rules.

a great win for tom, who wasnt at his best but was the better player. a lot of the very top players down here said tom would win, i wasnt convinced because farnsworth hadnt long beaten adam davis, a match i expected davis to win convincingly but he lost.

i too watched farnsworths match v potts, and he does break like a girl, and a little skinny girl at that lol, whereas tom's break is massive, right up there with potts and melling's, and at this level and for this amount of money, the break is huge, it means you get first go at the colours you want.

but all credit to tom, in his first game for massive money, farnsworth called him out i think expecting him to not play or bottling it, but play he did and the boy won.

happy days, well done tom mate.

Comment

Terry check out my post dated 22nd June " 40k money match replies" .There is more information there and yes it was 40k money match,English Pool and I assure you your leg is NOT being pulled.All the best.

Comment

I thought there was a bit of a recession over there and am quite surprised a money match for this amount was played. Over here a big money match would be around $3k or maybe 1,800quid or so although I suspect some of the pool pros do play for more in the US where there are some big money matches. In snooker there just isn't much along these lines any more.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

to be fair terry, these are 2 of the top boys at 8 ball. marc has played for much more than this, (a bad day at work) marc played adam davis (world champ) (at his home venue) for this amount. given marc likes alot of his own money on, an has a travelling following of a few hundred (that want a wager) that amount was always the bottom end of it.
              two things happened saturday, marc wasnt marc, an tom will have people queing to play him. couldnt see where marcs next big game would come from if he won, tom will get people wanting a go, an he'll be happy to oblige. wouldnt know whether to expect a rematch, but would be happy to attend that as well.

Comment

Terry,only last October there was a 30k match (sterling) and honestly 1k-3k matches are not uncommon.What you have to realise is that Stoke-on-Trent and Newcastle-under Lyme are a bit of a hotbed for pool.My local leagues feature,for example,Lee Kendall (current England captain)Gareth Potts (3x World Champion),Adam Davis (current world champion and former european champion),Liam White(current england under 21 captain,I think) and a host of professional players.The standard of local league play is obviously very high.If you read my previous posts on Trent Trophies Pool Team ,you will see that on a national level,we are very,very good(trophies for eleven consecutive years) so you see that this area of the country is a bit of a hotbed for pool.Money matches are sometimes a way of "seeing how good you really are".All the best Terry.

Comment

Originally Posted by hatterboard View Post
                  to be fair terry, these are 2 of the top boys at 8 ball. marc has played for much more than this, (a bad day at work) marc played adam davis (world champ) (at his home venue) for this amount. given marc likes alot of his own money on, an has a travelling following of a few hundred (that want a wager) that amount was always the bottom end of it.
                  two things happened saturday, marc wasnt marc, an tom will have people queing to play him. couldnt see where marcs next big game would come from if he won, tom will get people wanting a go, an he'll be happy to oblige. wouldnt know whether to expect a rematch, but would be happy to attend that as well.
                  Agreed Marc wasnt Marc and he has lost more and came back and won more and will do again I dont know Tom personally but at 22 22 Marc missed a black to go 23 22 up i think that was the massive turning point as had that gone in Marc would have won 8 of the last 10 games having got it level from 20 15 down.. Fair play to Tom though he weathered the storm and had a strong finish to win the match....Don't think Marc would ask for a rematch straight away as knowing him he will let Tom enjoy the win like the gent he is haha Another question to the mix.. who would play Marc in the northeast?? (i have only spoke about Marc out of respect for Tom as i don't know the lad and wouldnt know any of his thoughts)

Comment

there wouldnt be any takers in the northeast. marc is genuinely top top draw, would imagine the wouldnt be that many anyway. maybe not more than 6 in the world, if that.

i take it yer was there ? obviously coming from sunderland, yer know marc an follow him. first time ive seen marc in a money match (watched him online)
                    Last edited by hatterboard; 22 September 2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by hatterboard View Post
                      there wouldnt be any takers in the northeast. marc is genuinely top top draw, would imagine the wouldnt be that many anyway. maybe not more than 6 in the world, if that.

i take it yer was there ? obviously coming from sunderland, yer know marc an follow him. first time ive seen marc in a money match (watched him online)
                      Yeah i was there, it was my first time watching a money match and i loved it...

I know Marc a little he plays for the snooker team i run but he has only just signed, i knew Marc about 15 years ago when he was more into his snooker but i lost touch with him and the lads when i took ill... He is not a bad snooker player he turned up on Wednesday (after his defete to Tom) for our league match and knocked in a 96 in a one frame match the boy is quality also had a 147 against me in our younger days....

Comment

Was this game streamed live and is there an archived recording somewhere? Would love to see this.

Comment

it was shown on the screens at the venue, but they never showed it online. it might have been recorded

Comment

Players Pool and Snooker Lounge was the venue in Newcastle-under Lyme.If you google the address you will find their website.On their website is a "forum" and there is a sub-section entitled "money matches".You could visit the site and if the information you want is not available ,then ask a question on their board.Next time I am in there I will also ask Lee or Gareth for you.Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks that would be great

Comment

Working...
                              X