8 ball cue help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ball cue help!

Hi, im looking to buy a cue for 8 ball as my snooker cue isnt the answer any more. I was thinking on a 1 piece around 56 inches. What im asking is... any makes to avoid?? Or what would you recommend??

Depends on ur budget mate??

There is a lot to choose from when it comes to cues.

Comment

I'm sure adr147 will have something...
      If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

What specs are you after muck , i may have something here , got a lovely riley tombstone that would be ideal for pool .

Comment

As mentioned above, do you have a budget in mind and also where are you based?

If in the North then there are some great places like Craftsman Cues in Leeds and Green Baize in Teesside that stock hundreds of quality cues that you can actually try before you buy which is the only way to guarantee that you end up with a cue that suits you.

Comment

alternatively yer can have a frankinstein cue like sootyvrs

Comment

Originally Posted by hatterboard View Post
              alternatively yer can have a frankinstein cue like sootyvrs
              Yes my cue is certainly a unique one lol

I'm trying to be pro-active and search for a spare cue that plays like my frankinstein cue so if anything happens to it, I won't cry for too long if something if it gets broken!

That way I wont have the same problem that the likes of Stephen Hendry, John Spencer, Alain Robideaux had when they damaged their cues..... not that I'm even close to a good standard as they are, so perhaps it will do me a favour lol

Comment

unfortunately it doesnt work like that. i have previously owned a number of cues, had 2 exactly the same weight, length, tip an butt diameter an same tip make. yet both cues hit completely different, 1 i liked another i just couldnt get on with.

Comment

unfortunately it doesnt work like that. i have previously owned a number of cues, had 2 exactly the same weight, length, tip an butt diameter an same tip make. yet both cues hit completely different, 1 i liked another i just couldnt get on with.
                  Sadly I know. I now have 3 spare 51" 13-14oz cues that play nothing like my playing cue and with these specs can't really be shifted on

Comment

yer might be able to sell them on. i sold a short cue on ebay as a junior or ladies cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                      Yes my cue is certainly a unique one lol

I'm trying to be pro-active and search for a spare cue that plays like my frankinstein cue so if anything happens to it, I won't cry for too long if something if it gets broken!

That way I wont have the same problem that the likes of Stephen Hendry, John Spencer, Alain Robideaux had when they damaged their cues..... not that I'm even close to a good standard as they are, so perhaps it will do me a favour lol
                      Which cue is this mate?

I thought you were using a king cue which has two butts?

Is this the term/name for a frankinstein cue??

Comment

Yep, this is what makes all cues individual.

Just out of interest, Did they have the same balance point and the same stiffness shaft?

Comment

yer might be able to sell them on. i sold a short cue on ebay as a junior or ladies cue.
                          Not too bothered to be honest as ones an old snooker cue and others cheapo cues that have been altered and as I wasn't using them anyhow... nothing lost nothing gained. You might have seen 2 of them when we were at Green Baize that time.

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                          Which cue is this mate?

I thought you were using a king cue which has two butts?

Is this the term/name for a frankinstein cue??
                          Yes it's King Cue with spare butt

Hatters has seen the cue and has given it a nick name as it's obvious that the butt doesn't fit flush with the shaft so it looks like the butt has been nicked from another cue lol

It's just missing the bolts that stick out from each side

They all have near enough same length, bal point (+/- 0.5"), tip size butt size (+/- 0.5mm) and similar shaft flex so it's surprising how different they all feel to each other.

I've even put MW Supertips on all of them to eliminate the different make of tip having different responses.

Still it's all fun in the trying and the good thing is that I still have my playing cue which I'm extremely happy with. As we speak, I have my first premium cue on order so will be interested to see if that comes close to how I like my playing cue in playability
                          Last edited by sootyvrs; 18 November 2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
                            Not to bothered as ones an old snooker cue and others cheapo cues that have been altered and as I wasn't using them anyhow... nothing lost nothing gained. You might have seen 2 of them when we were at Green Baize that time.

Hatters has seen the cue and has given it a nick name as it's obvious that the butt doesn't fit flush with the shaft so it looks like the butt has been nicked from another cue lol

It's just missing the bolts that stick out from each side

They all have near enough same length, bal point (+/- 0.5"), tip size butt size (+/- 0.5mm) and similar shaft flex so it's surprising how different they all feel to each other.

I've even put MW Supertips on all of them to eliminate the different make of tip having different responses.

Still it's all fun in the trying and the good thing is that I still have my playing cue which I'm extremely happy with. As we speak, I have my first premium cue on order so will be interested to see if that comes close to how I like my playing cue in playability
                            Ok, good choice using MW supertips on all of them are these are pretty consistent to each other compared to blue diamonds and elks.

Tell us about the order then. Design, specs, maker etc

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                              Ok, good choice using MW supertips on all of them are these are pretty consistent to each other compared to blue diamonds and elks.

Tell us about the order then. Design, specs, maker etc
                              The clue is in tips and it's same spec as my frankinstein cue

Think we should now get back on topic for OP as we have gone off somewhat... Apologies

Comment

Working...
                              X