high dollar cues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high dollar cues???

Could some of you guys school me please on why anyone would or should spend so much on a cue stick. Most are in the hundreds and some are as much or more than a good used car. What's up?
    thanks
    Fred

Since no one is replying to your question, I'll answer it with a question. Why do people buy expensive sport cars, Mercedes, etc. when they can buy a cheap, economical car? Or buy a large, fancy home when they can live in a smaller, plainer home. Different people have different tastes and bank accounts and a true love for special things.
    The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

the use of the term cue stick is why i didn't reply!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Well when i saw " high dollar cues " i just thought it was the launch of another cue brand & i didn't like the sound of it.......

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          the use of the term cue stick is why i didn't reply!
          it's in the pool section thats why, though my little girl calls cue's " snooker table sticks ".........lol

Comment

fredrico , it's the same difference between going in a nice restaurant with a famous chief and going to McDonald's .... or maybe you only eat to survive . difference is quality of course and PLEASURE ! to he honest i never bought a really expensive cue , i have not financial possibilities actually but i tried some expensive "sticks" like mezz with predator shaft and it kick ass !

.... one day i'll own a parris cue ..... lol

the cue do not make a player but contribute to . and it's not a question of showing how rich you are.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys, but........does the extra hundreds and or thousands actually get you a cue that hits better or shoots better or is it just the prestige of lets say driving a Focus versus a Ferrari? Can you expand on what you mean by "kick ass"? Does it "hit" better or can you apply better english or more english and is it easier to apply english?
              thanks

Comment

perfectly balanced , smooth shaft with high quality wood , perfection in grain , finished to perfection with stunning inlays . the big advantage concerning pool cues is that you can get a poor and cheap butt ( i got a handmade butt with loads of splices and inlays from phillipines for 20 pounds ) and fit a nice shaft on it

Comment

concerning feelings it's something unique and personnal . some prefer ash , others maple , some layered tips others laminated ones .expensive or cheap cue ? ...you got to try and make your own opinion. when efren reyes started to play on the american soil , he whithewashed them all with a 10 dollars cue picked on a club rack. mika immonen has won 2 us open in a raw with a mezz cue that is really expensive . so ...

Comment

Originally Posted by fredrico View Post
                    Thanks for the replies, guys, but........does the extra hundreds and or thousands actually get you a cue that hits better or shoots better or is it just the prestige of lets say driving a Focus versus a Ferrari? Can you expand on what you mean by "kick ass"? Does it "hit" better or can you apply better english or more english and is it easier to apply english?
                    thanks
                    Hi Fred... you have probably seen some American pool cues, perhaps those meant for more collection purposes with very fancy, artistic splices, inlays and stuff. They are of such exorbitant prices that it belies belief. But as mentioned, they are more for collection or trading purposes rather than real play. I don't think many people would use a cue that costs a few grand to break the pack.

An expensive cue does not necessarily equate to a better playing cue. A cue maker can make an intricately designed cue, install some jeweled inlays and put a high price tag to it. Does not make it play better.

For myself, I'm fascinated by the array of colours and wood patterns that certain timbers produce when turned and finished as cue splices. But it is of paramount importance to me that I can play well with the cue. If not, then it is of not much use to me.

So, at the end of the day, I believe it is what you want to buy for what purpose and whether you consider the price offered to be fair...
                    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
                      Hi Fred... you have probably seen some American pool cues, perhaps those meant for more collection purposes with very fancy, artistic splices, inlays and stuff. They are of such exorbitant prices that it belies belief. But as mentioned, they are more for collection or trading purposes rather than real play. I don't think many people would use a cue that costs a few grand to break the pack.

An expensive cue does not necessarily equate to a better playing cue. A cue maker can make an intricately designed cue, install some jeweled inlays and put a high price tag to it. Does not make it play better.

For myself, I'm fascinated by the array of colours and wood patterns that certain timbers produce when turned and finished as cue splices. But it is of paramount importance to me that I can play well with the cue. If not, then it is of not much use to me.

So, at the end of the day, I believe it is what you want to buy for what purpose and whether you consider the price offered to be fair...
                      Thank you. This is what I suspected. I've been playing pool all my life and have always been able to just choose a good house cue. But recently got involved in a weekly tournament at Doubleday's(amazing sports bar) in Port Isabel, Tex.,but their house cues left some to be desired. Long story short, everyone had custom cues. So myself getting into the world of custom cues, had no idea what a can of worms. Anyway, can take it from here, Thanks

Comment

HI It does not matter that you will play better with a more expensive cue. Example Stephen Hendry played with a cue that was worth gbp 40 and has won the Worlds Snooker Champs on many occasions

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
                          HI It does not matter that you will play better with a more expensive cue. Example Stephen Hendry played with a cue that was worth gbp 40 and has won the Worlds Snooker Champs on many occasions
                          not this drivel again
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

thanks for the information

Comment

Working...
                            X