Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pool Ball Sizes - Are standard (7x4 table) tournament ball sizes 2 and 1/16" or 2" ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool Ball Sizes - Are standard (7x4 table) tournament ball sizes 2 and 1/16" or 2" ?!

I wanted to buy some new balls for my 4x7 Superleague Magnum Pool Table.

The balls it came with were 2 1/16” (or 52.5mm). The white is the same size and is delivered in the same way/area as the other balls when potted.

When I went to order new balls I ended up having a debate/argument about standard tournament ball sizes with the seller!

I thought that standard full size tournament pool balls are 2 and 1/16", or 52.5mm. The guy I am speaking with is adamant that full size standard pool balls in the UK are 2".

I have included the conversation below - but you may not need to read it:

ME:
    It is my understanding that match pool balls are 2 1/16 inches, or 52.5mm. I do not understand how you can call these "PREMIER MATCH POOL BALLS" as they are 2"?!

POOL SHOP GUY:
    Snooker is 2 1/16". English pool is 2". American pool is 2 1/4".

ME:
    No this is incorrect. Snooker and championship pool balls are both 2 1/16". American pool balls are 2 1/4". English pub pool table balls (only) are 2". These are not full size/championship - just 2" pub balls. Championship/professional/proper pool balls are always played with 2 1/16" As these are the balls I have for my table, and the balls I am looking for!

POOL SHOP GUY:
    WRONG. - We are in BAPTO and run a competition. No pool games are 2 1/16 inch. They are either 2" which is for the UK or 2 1/4" for American. No national pool competitions are run with 2 1/16 balls. Trust me.

ME:
    Is there a right and wrong in this instance – with ball sizes?

There is obviously a problem with the standardization of pool throughout the UK/world! As you know a tournament table is only required to be to a ratio of 2:1 – not a specific size - yet many people would say a 4x7 ft table is standard tournament table size!

I have a 7x4 Superleague Magnum table. The balls it came with (new) were 2 1/16” (or 52.5mm). The white is the same size.

Most research I have done has told me this is correct and that these are full size pool table balls, and correct for my table.

It is my understanding that the 2” inch balls are used for “machine” tables, as the white must be 1 7/8” to return the white to the correct end of the table?

If, as you say, championship/pro/match/tournament tables use 2” balls - then I shall replace mine for these.

Could you possibly provide me with some way of checking/confirming this, before I commit to ordering?

I’m sure you are right but I would like to be 100% before ordering. Especially as my present balls are 2 1/16” and seem perfect for the table!

........I hope you guys know the answer?

This is the technical spec from the World Eightball Pool Federation:

ANNEXE A
    Table and Equipment Specifications

Accepted as World Eight-ball Pool Championship specifications, by the member countries of the WEPF
    a) Object balls shall be, 2 inches (50.8 mm) diameter and weight of 116 grams, + 2 grams.
    b) Cue ball shall be, 1 & 7/8 inches (47.6 mm) diameter and a weight of 94 grams.
    c) Maximum playing surface to be, 7 feet x 3 feet 6 inches (213.36cm x 106.68cm)
    (playing surface being the flat slate area between the cushion faces)
    (the cushion faces being the part of the cushion that the ball(s) contact).

d) Minimum playing surface must be, 6 feet x 3 feet (182.88cm x 91.44cm)
    (playing surface being the flat slate area between the cushion faces)
    (the cushion faces being those parts of the cushion that the ball(s) contact).

e) Cushion faces to have a narrow flat face.
    f) Table height to be between, 31½ inches & 33½ inches (80cm & 85cm).
    g) The playing surface and cushion cloth must be a ‘nap’ cloth, 30 oz. The nap to run from baulk to pyramid.
    h) Pocket size and cut to be as per WEPF agreed templates.
    Depth of pockets to be,
    85mm (3.35 inches /approx. 3 & 11/32“) corners and 95mm (3.74 inches / approx. 3 & 3/8“) centres,
    minimum measurement.

i) Lighting to be three shades, one over the centre of the table and one shade 20 inches (50.8cm) either side of centre. The height to be 32½ inches (82.55 cm) from the playing surface of the level table to the bottom of the shade.
    j) The baulk line to be positioned 1/5th (20%) of the length between the face of the end cushions.
    k) The pyramid spot to be in the centre of the top half of the table.

Source: http://www.wepf.org/admin.php?option=3

Comment

As far as I understand it, the World Pool-Billiard Association publish the Blackball rules, but their technical spec only refers to solids and stripes numbered sets, which are 2 1/4 inch.

16. Balls and Ball Rack
      All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms]. Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance - treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed - must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play.

A complete set of pool balls consists of one white cue ball and fifteen color-coded, numbered object balls. The object balls are clearly and highly visibly numbered 1 through 15. Each object ball has its number printed twice, opposite each other, one of the two numbers upside down, black on a white round background. The object balls numbered 1 through 8 have solid colors as follows: 1=yellow, 2=blue, 3=red, 4=purple, 5=orange, 6=green, 7=maroon and 8=black. The object balls numbered 9 through 15 are white with a centered band of color as follows: 9=yellow, 10=blue, 11=red, 12=purple, 13=orange, 14=green and 15=maroon. The two printed numbers 6 and 9 are underscored.

The wooden triangular ball rack is the recommended device to be used to rack the balls to ensure that the balls are properly aligned and in contact with each other. Both surfaces that can make contact with the table-cloth when moving loaded rack to and fro, should be very smooth in order not to incur any damage to the cloth underneath. Plastic racks are not recommended, they are flexible and tend to deform, making proper racking of
      balls time-consuming, if not impossible.

Source: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/WPA_Tour...Specifications

Comment

The debate continues!

Comment

The old BAPTO rules give a spec for table height, size, pocket openings and cushion agles, but are silent with regard to ball size!

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
            As far as I understand it, the World Pool-Billiard Association publish the Blackball rules, but their technical spec only refers to solids and stripes numbered sets, which are 2 1/4 inch.

16. Balls and Ball Rack
            All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms]. Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance - treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed - must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play.

A complete set of pool balls consists of one white cue ball and fifteen color-coded, numbered object balls. The object balls are clearly and highly visibly numbered 1 through 15. Each object ball has its number printed twice, opposite each other, one of the two numbers upside down, black on a white round background. The object balls numbered 1 through 8 have solid colors as follows: 1=yellow, 2=blue, 3=red, 4=purple, 5=orange, 6=green, 7=maroon and 8=black. The object balls numbered 9 through 15 are white with a centered band of color as follows: 9=yellow, 10=blue, 11=red, 12=purple, 13=orange, 14=green and 15=maroon. The two printed numbers 6 and 9 are underscored.

The wooden triangular ball rack is the recommended device to be used to rack the balls to ensure that the balls are properly aligned and in contact with each other. Both surfaces that can make contact with the table-cloth when moving loaded rack to and fro, should be very smooth in order not to incur any damage to the cloth underneath. Plastic racks are not recommended, they are flexible and tend to deform, making proper racking of
            balls time-consuming, if not impossible.

Source: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/WPA_Tour...Specifications
            surely those rules are for American 9ball? the link you provided talks of pocket openings 4.5" for corners and 5" for centre which has to be American 9ball doesn't it?

I am not an expert but I'd say UK 8ball is definitely 2" balls - the only debate being whether the white can be 2" or 1 7/8" ...

supermooser ... are you're pocket openings rounded like a snooker/UK 8ball table or straight like American tables?

Comment

Here, you can see the table, although this is just a picture, not my table!
              http://www.slatepooltables.org.uk/7f...ub-style-3.htm

Comment

...and yes, can the whaite ball be the same size. I'm certainly no expert - apart from at playing maybe haha! but I imagine a smaller white (which I have not been using) would make a considerable difference playing?!

Comment

Originally Posted by supermooser View Post
                  ...and yes, can the whaite ball be the same size. I'm certainly no expert - apart from at playing maybe haha! but I imagine a smaller white (which I have not been using) would make a considerable difference playing?!
                  yes it does, the smaller the white the more difficult the game ... especially when the white is smaller than the object balls ... just Googled your pool table and it looks like rounded pockets so I think you should be playing with 2" object balls and a 1 7/8" white ... or you could play with a 2" white but I think that would be unusual ...

that's for UK 8ball ... if you want to practise snooker then by all means play with 2 1/16" balls if you wish

but the man in the pool shop you quoted was correct ...
                  Last edited by DandyA; 14 May 2012, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. On the plus side, 2" balls are easier to find and much cheaper! Also, although the white being smaller may make accurate shotes slightly more difficult, the balls should be slightly easier to pot - being slightly smaller! Here's hoping. Thanks again for your help. Great forum

Comment

I would guess that 99% of clubs, pubs and league venues use 2" balls with a smaller white. Having been a snooker player for 20-odd years and only occasional poiol player in that time, when I started playing pool more regularly as part of a league team two years ago, it took me quite a while to get used to the way that the smaller cue ball reacts against the object balls compared to the snooker balls. If you're going to be playing in a league then you're almost certainly better off going with the 2" balls and smaller white, else you'll be at a serious disadvantage.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                        I would guess that 99% of clubs, pubs and league venues use 2" balls with a smaller white. Having been a snooker player for 20-odd years and only occasional poiol player in that time, when I started playing pool more regularly as part of a league team two years ago, it took me quite a while to get used to the way that the smaller cue ball reacts against the object balls compared to the snooker balls. If you're going to be playing in a league then you're almost certainly better off going with the 2" balls and smaller white, else you'll be at a serious disadvantage.
                        That's very good advice - playing with lots of top-spin in particular can be quite difficult whereas playing with screw is much easier.

Comment

Working...
                        X