break cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break cue?

what's everyone's thoughts on a break cue? worth it? if you think they are what would you say a break cue needs eg bigger tip, heavier?

My thoughts are I don't think you need one for English pool but I use one on the American pool table at home in SD but it is only the shortie cue rather than a proper break cue.
    You can spend a lot of money on a break cue and unless you are playing a lot at a high level I can't see it worth it.

Comment

I don't personally use one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POBwm_7FqdE
      "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

I play 8 ball and never found an advantage in using a break cue. Unless your using a really small tip i.e 7 mm and don't want to take the chance of damaging it I personally would'nt bother.
        If your playing 9 ball it might be worth looking into a break cue.
        If your using a break cue for snooker.......

Comment

Our team has a crappy cue bought from a car boot sale for breaking off in our league pool matches. That way we can smash em as hard as we like and not worry about damaging our cues. lol. If the question was related to snooker, then no I wouldn't bother!
          Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

I never use a break cue , but in my league Trent Trophies , there are players who use break cues for various reasons e.g. Phenolic tipped break cues for serious splitting of the pack ( good technique required) and to avoid damaging small ferrules and tips.Personally I believe that with good technique and good timing , a break cue is not needed in 8 ball EPA games , Chris Melling used a small tip and ferrule for everything from 8 ball, to 9 ball to snooker and it never did him any harm , although he has a brilliant cue action and great timing.I have personally used ferrules and tips below 8mm and can get a better split on the pack than with my 9mm " playing specs " , but my age ( and eyesight ) doesnt let me get away with sloppy technique with tips below 8mm.If you are confident that your timing and technique will allow you to break with your playing cue , then by all means do so , if you have less confidence a 9.5-10mm , heavyweight cue , with a hard tip ( Phenolic or laminated ) might help you .Good luck.

Comment

break cue?

I've never used a break cue
              And I've never damaged my cue
              The smaller White isn't heavy enough to do any damage to it unless your cues on the point of breaking anyway
              9 ball different matter

Comment

The main difference in a breaking cue is the harder tip. I see a lot of people in UK pool losing power with slim shafts and soft tips on the break.

I think short, light, stiff, forward balanced and at least 10mm with a very hard tip.
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

I have been experimenting with a really light cue (Jim might remember ho light) I bought from Jim Evans. I put a really hard laminated tip on and it's seems to work really well as a breaking cue. I seem to be able to accelerate through the cue ball much quicker than with my playing cue.

Comment

I play 8-ball with an old cue,been fixed so many times its on the verge of collapse! I used a 22oz hammer of a cue for a while but seemed to lose the snap off my break. i tried with a 15oz on the advice of a friend and have been ripping the whites guts out since.Makes no sense.Think its all in my head

Comment

It makes perfect sense.. pick up a tennis ball and see how far/fast you can throw it.. then try it with a bowling ball.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Old cue collector --
                      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

The benefit of a lighter cue for breaking was also demonstrated on that pool coach website.
                        Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

The cheap short cue I use works better when I break with a lighter grip than a firmer grip. I don't know why but the balls seem to break better and spread out more

Comment

have played county pool. ive tried every break cue in an attempt to find the golden key. big 9 ball cues, small light cues. what works for me isnt my playing cue (55" long, 8.5 tip 17 oz) but a 15oz cue thats got a le pro tip on but is 2 " longer than me playing cue. ive even seen 2 out of 20 i can jump the white in the middle of the table to park it now. leverage an timing is what i think works for me.

Comment

This is a tricky one. I know quite a few county standard players. Some use a break cue but I would say that the majority do not.

Comment

Working...
                              X