tip size for pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip size for pool?

just wondering what tip size everyone uses for English pool?

Originally Posted by lukeeyw View Post
    just wondering what tip size everyone uses for English pool?
    A friend who used to play for England, and is now in danger of becoming a pro because he's doing so well on the tour, recommends a 9mm tip for English pool. I know quite a few folk who go down to 8 or even 7mm but my mate reckons this is excessive and can lead to unintended side. He thinks that if you can't screw the white with a 9mm, you shouldn't be playing. I don't argue with him about pool. lol
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

tip size for pool?

I've got a new cue which is 8.3 and I don't know whether to get used to it at 8.3 or put a 9mm on and leave it mushrooming, or get it shortened as I use a 9mm tip on my current cue

Comment

I play with 8.2mm for UK pool.
        I have never liked the mushroom tip in pool (not even in snooker) so I would say do not do that but trim and sand ti fit the ferrule nicely.
        I would not cut the cue down to fit a 9mm - you cannot put it back on later
        At least not until you give the 8.3mm a try for a while.
        Last edited by DeanH; 22 July 2012, 07:48 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

tip size for pool?

okay im just stuck between practising with the. we cue and tip size and my trusty 9mm as I have a few county matches coming up, hmmm

Comment

I've got a new cue which is 8.3 and I don't know whether to get used to it at 8.3 or put a 9mm on and leave it mushrooming, or get it shortened as I use a 9mm tip on my current cue
            I play quite a bit of pool and use a 9.5mm I used to play with a 8.00mm but it was no good for snooker, when I had a new cue made I wanted to use it for both games and decided on 9.5mm
            A few friends had their tips took down too a smaller size and could'nt get on with them. Instead of making the cue shorter with a new ferrule Tony Glover made one that splays out so you don't have to take it down too much.

Comment

tip size for pool?

okay mate cheers

Comment

9mm now. Played with 8mm for a few years, but went back to 9mm ( different cue ), and
                like a few posters said, less unintentional side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

tip size for pool?

should it take me long to get used to a tip .7mm smaller? 9mm to 8.3?

Comment

should it take me long to get used to a tip .7mm smaller? 9mm to 8.3?
                    It took me a while to get used to 9.6mm going down from 10mm. Going from 9 to 8.3 would be even trickier. You've got to be able to hit the cue ball plum in the middle at that size and below I would imagine, to avoid unintentional side. If you already do, it will be a smaller adjustment for you, and take less time I guess?
                    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

I've played with tip sizes varying from 7.5mm upto 9.75mm on different cues I've had over the years playing league pool. My current playing cue Is 8.8mm which compared to my previous playing cue that has worn down from its original, well professionally altered 8mm ferrule down to 7.5mm felt big at first but I quickly adapted to the size difference. Control wise the smaller tip allows you to get more reaction but you have to be more accurate or you will get unwanted side, go too big and your potting accuracy will increase but you'll sacrifice control. Anywhere between 7.5-10mm is fine definitely no smaller than 7.5mm though as it will become almost impossible not to apply unintentional side spin, but alot depends on your cue action and timing for what size tip is right for your game. 9mm is probably the best compromise between accuracy and control and is what former world champion Carl Morris suggests new players start with. Hope this help, good luck

Comment

Give the smaller tipped cue a chance and see how you get on with it. You'll probably find you'll over screw at first and may miss a few potts due to unintentional side spin but if you can get used to it it becomes easier to maneuver the cue ball with less effort for deep screw shots etc

Comment

tip size for pool?

cool cheers for the advice

Comment

Hi.

I have bought a new 8 ball cue with a 8.5mm tip. Not tried it yet but i have always played with a 9.5mm tip although this was a snooker cue.

I now play for county and the majority of the other players use between 8-9mm.

Comment

i use the same tip for both sports
                              Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X