League Match ( With A Difference)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League Match ( With A Difference)

As some of you may know I play Trent Trophies 8 ball in a " reasonable " quality league.I am ,at the moment, taking a sabbatical to concentrate on my youngest sons cricket season ( washout) , but I still follow my old team when I can.Last Wednesday they played at Players in Newcastle ( under Lyme) and they lost 12-6 (could have been 10-8 or even 9-9) .Whats so interesting about that I hear you say , well last time we won 10-8 , this time they took us seriously and paid us the honour of fielding their "good squad" . The Players home team was as follows : Lee Kendall , (England Senior Captain,runner up 2012 World Championship, etc,etc) ,Gareth Potts ( 3x World Champ), Adam Davis (2011 World Champion),Jamie Croxton , ( Pro & Snooker & TT major player) and Daz Shone ( TT stalwart etc).I watched this match and quite simply it was an honour and an education and a lot tighter than the final scoreline suggests.I loved every minute of it and was really proud of the way my " boys" played, anyone who can go up against 4 xWorld Titles,2x European Titles as well as a host of Tour titles and come out of it with frames on your side of the scoresheet deserves praise, so here it is WELL DONE the Abbey Legion.

Youre bboys should be proud with that perfomance agains some up n coming whipper snappers lol . They must be exceptional players themselves .

Comment

Thanks hotpot , thing is that this particular team ( Abbey Legion) started as a Division 3 team (at TT League level) only 4 years ago.I joined 3 years ago, we were promoted as League 2 runners up , last season League 1 winners , this season we have finished 4th out of 10 teams (for round one) What we do is split the league into two halves in each division , half way through the season, this gives less able teams a chance at a trophy by creating a " sub league " within each division of the league (40 teams ,4 divisions,sub league each division).We finished 4th so we stay in the top half of the draw ( with the " big boys " ), not bad for a recently promoted team.This also means we can not get demoted ( we do 2 up 2 down promotion/demotions) so we guarantee Premier Division status next year. The team age varies from early twenties right through to " older " players (myself included ) of nearly 50 and believe it or not , we still think of ourselves as " pub players " out for a jar & a frame with our mates on a Wednesday night.Nice of you to suggest we can play a bit , but we remain just a bunch of lads.Our favourite hobby ??? scaring the crap out of the " big boys " and enjoying ourselves , nuff said me thinks.

Comment

Your team played very well indeed against some of the best 8 ball players around.

Comment

League Match ( With A Difference)

Sounds like a great set up for a league..... Congrats in the result, well played!!
          Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
          Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

A good result against a top class team. Just look at what they've won over the years !!

Comment

Time to start playing again Mick.. even came out of retirement myself a couple of times this season.
              Are you gonna get down to yarmouth this year? I'm 50/50 whether I can be bothered this time around, so a few familiar faces might sway the decision!
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Old cue collector --
              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

my standard is nowhere near the top players but they are a delight to watch ...

I played Sefton Payne a few years ago in a local league UK 8ball match ... he beat me comprehensively but at least I gave him a bit to think about ...

and I watched JAF Singh just a couple of weeks ago playing a match in my local pub ... gosh, lovely to watch, interestingly he was playing with a carbon cue (I asked about it afterwards cos it was all white) ...

Comment

Working...
                X