No announcement yet.

World Rules - Foul Snooker Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes some time to get your head around to using the Tactical foul to your adavantage in WR.

I started playing BB and liked it because it was simplistic to play tactically e.g. play a snooker and the opponent had to make a valid attempt to get out of it (similar to snooker) and the combination shots allowed pockets to be unblocked by opponents balls which requires skill.

Since playing WR, learning and watching how tactical fouls can be used to your advantage, I now love WR and prefer it to BB as it opens up new challenges and rewards into the game of pool! I must admit it does take some time to learn when to use them. Some struggle to get past the tactical foul (sometimes referred to as deliberate foul) and think it's unsporting, especially when they have been on the negative end of it and lost the frame after seemingly being in control of the frame but this is just naive of the rules.

You have to accept it as it is i.e. just a tactical shot (just like playing a safety shot)..

The original topic.... foul snooker is only when you cannot hit both edges of one of your object balls after a tactical foul and cushions are not included e.g. if your object ball is on a cushion, you obviously cannot strike one edge of the ball as the cushion could be in the way of the edge. However jaws of the pocket are included so if your opponent left cue ball in the jaw of the pocket during a tactical foul shot and you cannot see both edges of one of your object ball then it is classed as a foul snooker. (which give you option to nominate any ball to be classed as your ball or take cue ball behind balk (if in balk you still cannot hit any object ball on both edges then you can still nominate any ball for a foul snooker))

I hope that made sense!

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
      It takes some time to get your head around to using the Tactical foul to your adavantage in WR.

I started playing BB and liked it because it was simplistic to play tactically e.g. play a snooker and the opponent had to make a valid attempt to get out of it (similar to snooker) and the combination shots allowed pockets to be unblocked by opponents balls which requires skill.

Since playing WR, learning and watching how tactical fouls can be used to your advantage, I now love WR and prefer it to BB as it opens up new challenges and rewards into the game of pool! I must admit it does take some time to learn when to use them. Some struggle to get past the tactical foul (sometimes referred to as deliberate foul) and think it's unsporting, especially when they have been on the negative end of it and lost the frame after seemingly being in control of the frame but this is just naive of the rules.

You have to accept it as it is i.e. just a tactical shot (just like playing a safety shot)..

The original topic.... foul snooker is only when you cannot hit both edges of one of your object balls after a tactical foul and cushions are not included e.g. if your object ball is on a cushion, you obviously cannot strike one edge of the ball as the cushion could be in the way of the edge. However jaws of the pocket are included so if your opponent left cue ball in the jaw of the pocket during a tactical foul shot and you cannot see both edges of one of your object ball then it is classed as a foul snooker. (which give you option to nominate any ball to be classed as your ball or take cue ball behind balk (if in balk you still cannot hit any object ball on both edges then you can still nominate any ball for a foul snooker))

I hope that made sense!
      I have played WR for a fair few seasons now, and have deliberatley fouled a few times to my advantage(lol). Under normal circumstances though, I think that the 2 shots you give away in order to play a tactical foul is adequate compensation for the tactical foul (clearing a held pocket etc). I just can't seem to grasp how it's fair that you could effectively nullify the first shot of your opponents 2 shots by playing what is essentially a roll up to your opponents ball. In certain extreme cases you could roll up in such a way that you could nullify BOTH of your opponents 2 shots(Of course this is much more debateable).

I guess the only reason I'm bitter about this(lol) is that it's gone against me on this occasion and I've never thought to do it myself! But now I know what to do in certain situations lol!
      Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

I guess the only reason I'm bitter about this(lol) is that it's gone against me on this occasion and I've never thought to do it myself! But now I know what to do in certain situations lol![/QUOTE]

Exactly that! It's the same rules for both players so sometimes the person with a better tactical game will win through (which is the object of the game after all!)
        Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
          I guess the only reason I'm bitter about this(lol) is that it's gone against me on this occasion and I've never thought to do it myself! But now I know what to do in certain situations lol!
          Exactly that! It's the same rules for both players so sometimes the person with a better tactical game will win through (which is the object of the game after all!)[/QUOTE]

Yeah deep down I know, just hard to take a loss sometimes. Lol. Rant over. Lol
          Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
            Exactly that! It's the same rules for both players so sometimes the person with a better tactical game will win through (which is the object of the game after all!)
            Yeah deep down I know, just hard to take a loss sometimes. Lol. Rant over. Lol[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I hate losing too!
            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Picked up a handy tip recently.
              if you dont want to move the white at all instead of trying to escape you can raise the butt of the cue to literally vertical and just tip down on the cue ball from above. This makes contact and qualifies as a legitimate contact of the cueball, despite the outcome of conceeding 2 shots to your opponent (the first of which it will be difficult for him to manage)
              Try being on the receiving end of that!!!

Comment

After a while you get used to doing these things when required and learn to anticipate them from your opponent. If you play a snooker tight against your ball and leave yourself nothing that you can pot from that position, then you can expect the DF. In most cases DFs are a response to simple tap-up snookers on the rail, or blocked pockets, neither of which require much imagination to play. So I'm a big fan of this part of the game and I think it needs to be a bit tactically challenging when the potting is so easy.
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

You dont need to do any gymnastics with the cue like having it vertical,
                  just ensure "tip" touches on the top of the ball, the cue ball needn't move.
                  I see many people do this, using the "side of the tip" so the cue is in a relatively standard position.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Be careful with the Deliberate Foul, as I have heard in the past new players taking the concept to far.
                    Like I heard a new team member saying "oh I could pickup the cue ball and place it where I liked! No loss of frame!"
                    This is not so, as this would be a Serious Standard Foul; 3.Deliberately causing any ball or balls to be moved in a manner other than that which may result from playing a normal shot.
                    and as you know 2x Serious Fouls = Loss of Frame.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      Be careful with the Deliberate Foul, as I have heard in the past new players taking the concept to far.
                      Like I heard a new team member saying "oh I could pickup the cue ball and place it where I liked! No loss of frame!"
                      This is not so, as this would be a Serious Standard Foul; 3.Deliberately causing any ball or balls to be moved in a manner other than that which may result from playing a normal shot.
                      and as you know 2x Serious Fouls = Loss of Frame.
                      yes, plus the ref should put the balls back to where they were before the serious foul took place ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        You dont need to do any gymnastics with the cue like having it vertical,
                        just ensure "tip" touches on the top of the ball, the cue ball needn't move.
                        I see many people do this, using the "side of the tip" so the cue is in a relatively standard position.
                        Even better to know and not makin a tool of oneself !

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                          So I'm a big fan of this part of the game and I think it needs to be a bit tactically challenging when the potting is so easy.
                          Yea i like world rules. Also in pool at a high level the game can often be a case of who messes up first with what should be relatively straightforward. Usually attributed to pressure.
                          Last edited by Grifter; 4 December 2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Hi guys........

Another question on a similar subject!!

Situation : You are on the black. You attempt to pot it, but leave it in the jaws. Your opponent plays a poor shot and miscues and fouls on his red. You have been left foul snookered.

As I understand the rules, you have two options..... 1)Pick the white up, place it behind the line and pot the black (maybe nominate another ball if you so wish, but in this instance you could pick it up and hit the black direct to pot it.)
                            2)Nominate a red as the ball you are playing.

My question is, could you nominate the red, and plant the black in?! As always I will await responses before pontificating.....lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
                              Hi guys........

Another question on a similar subject!!

Situation : You are on the black. You attempt to pot it, but leave it in the jaws. Your opponent plays a poor shot and miscues and fouls on his red. You have been left foul snookered.

As I understand the rules, you have two options..... 1)Pick the white up, place it behind the line and pot the black (maybe nominate another ball if you so wish, but in this instance you could pick it up and hit the black direct to pot it.)
                              2)Nominate a red as the ball you are playing.

My question is, could you nominate the red, and plant the black in?! As always I will await responses before pontificating.....lol.
                              In a word, yes! If you nominate the red you could plant on to the black and pot both balls in any order in the one shot.
                              If you pick up the white and play from baulk you cannot the nominate the red unless you are still snookered by an object ball or the jaws of the pocket.
                              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Just remember that the ball nominated as a free ball MUST be the ball you hit first with the cue ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X