Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on with the EPA and BAPTO and the Pro's etc

Hey Guys,

I play county pool under EPA and world rules but when it comes to world pool, EPA, BAPTO and the pro's etc I get very confused at to what is happening with the sport at the moment!

I don't know the ins and outs of it but I know the EPA world championship had a lot of top pro's missing, I think this was something to do with them moving over to BAPTO rules and playing in the IPA tour or something?

Also at our last county AGM they mentioned rules being changed (Deliberate foul being removed and being allowed to play in BAPTO events I think!)

I don't know what others think but I thought the world champs (EPA) was a bit of a farce without the top pro's?

What is happening to our sport, am I missing something, is there some big master plan to unify both governing bodies and rules?!!

Any thoughts would be great as I have no idea what's happening with the sport at the moment!!

Thanks guys

i think you mean blackball ruleset as b.a.p.t.o is a pool tourny not a rule set that uses blackball rules.

i can tell you abit about whats happened, basically the ipa have dropped world rules in favour of blackball rules, as they asked the pros aswell as general players which ruleset they would prefer to play/watch with alot of top players stating that 2shots carry rules shouldnt be played in top level pool (i agree), the ipa is the top level with most money envolved and the best tour, the pros moved over as there trying to unify pool and take it foward.

the next couple of years are really exciting for pool in this country, the quicker epa dies the better.

get behind the ipa switch to blackball county support it and watch our sport grow
    tha what!

Comment

Basically it boils down to George Harwood and the ex ipa committee ripping the ipa players off allegedly.

They voted George out and the committee Brewer, Kendall etc decided to stick with George and move to the epa and in the process set up a rival amateur tour (UK pool tour) for amateur players only but allowed certain players to relinquish their professional status to enter and banning epa players from entering other organizations events, also George had allegedly put all the contracts for the ipa in his own name meaning he took the contracts for the venues and sponsors he was paid to get by the ipa and used the venues and tour dates for the UK pool tour instead, then had pros banned from the masters so the top ipa players decided if they can't play the wepf masters they won't play in the worlds either and boycotted the world championship. Although some including the winner John Roe who is an ipa player still entered. There's a lot of bad feeling between the ipa and epa and no chance they'll unite. I have nothing to do with either organization this is just what I was told. The allegations are alleged only the people involved will really know the truth.

Comment

wow that all sounds very complicated!

I like the idea of one rule set, have no played blackball but again like the idea!

I guess I may find out a bit more at the county AGM in January.

I had a look at Gareth Potts website and he seems very unhappy with the IPA, there is a great long statement on his homepage!

Watch this space I guess.

Comment

I've spoke to Gareth Potts on facebook about it and to say he's unhappy with the epa is the understatement of the century lol. The ipa are switching from world rules to blackball which I think is the right move, world rules are total crap

Comment

I couldn't tell you what the rules are today, I stopped playing when they started buggering about with them.

When I played you broke, had to pot the reds or yellows or spots or stripes and then sink the black, if you sunk the black on the break you lost the frame, two shots carried on and the first shot was a free one.

What rules should I play in a pub today?

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
              I've spoke to Gareth Potts on facebook about it and to say he's unhappy with the epa is the understatement of the century lol. The ipa are switching from world rules to blackball which I think is the right move, world rules are total crap
              completly agree dave.
              tha what!

Comment

the rules are different where ever you play, and i find this silly, no matter what snooker club you got to the game is the same yet i seem to have the option of going 10 miles north or 10 miles south and playing different rules !
                Blackball in my opinion is going to be better for the game, and especialy for live screening of games

the leauge in my own town still plays where you can touch up to any ball without touching the cushion, and there should be one set of rules with all pool leauges run to them, i dont think there would be any amature snooker leauges in the uk where you score 18 points for potting the blue ?

Comment

Money, dictators, corruption, cover ups, secret meetings, traitors, egos and expensive beer............
                  No its not a film.......
                  This is English Pool

Comment

Too many people with their fingers in too many pies and they won't give up that power and money for what's best for the game. As said above snooker is governed under one body and set of rules which is what pool needs but it won't ever happen as long as the likes of George Harwood are involved

Comment

I play in two local leagues with two totally different rule sets, Thursday league is similar to old epa with a few world rules added but the leagues own modified versions so you have to hit a cushion after contact or pot a ball for a legal shot, but unlike world rules its the cue ball or ball you hit first that has to hit the cushion rather than drive any ball to the cushion after contact, and the other half arsed rule is if you pot on the break you have to nominate regardless and if you pot a red and nominate yellow you don't have to then pot a yellow like you do with world rules to be on yellows. 2 shots carry, you can take the cue ball after a foul and play from baulk and have a free ball. Tuesday league though you can't take the cue ball after a foul, 2 shots do not carry, you still use the D, don't have to hit a cushion after contact and have to nominate the pocket for the black. F**ing crazy lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                        I play in two local leagues with two totally different rule sets, Thursday league is similar to old epa with a few world rules added but the leagues own modified versions so you have to hit a cushion after contact or pot a ball for a legal shot, but unlike world rules its the cue ball or ball you hit first that has to hit the cushion rather than drive any ball to the cushion after contact, and the other half arsed rule is if you pot on the break you have to nominate regardless and if you pot a red and nominate yellow you don't have to then pot a yellow like you do with world rules to be on yellows. 2 shots carry, you can take the cue ball after a foul and play from baulk and have a free ball. Tuesday league though you can't take the cue ball after a foul, 2 shots do not carry, you still use the D, don't have to hit a cushion after contact and have to nominate the pocket for the black. F**ing crazy lol
                        ha ha That sounds like a fekin nightmare!

I play in the local league and we just play old EPA rules but with the 1 min rule!

The standard is shocking, as are the tables/venues!

Comment

had an intresting convo today with don mills deffo very enlightening to say the least lol
                          tha what!

Comment

ha ha That sounds like a fekin nightmare!

I play in the local league and we just play old EPA rules but with the 1 min rule!

The standard is shocking, as are the tables/venues![/QUOTE]

It is mate. Some of the tables in the Tuesday league have more beer on the baize than there is in the pumps lol

Comment

Working...
                            X