Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackball or world rules???

Hi guys.

I currently play EPA world rules for my county.

The predicament I now have is that there is to be a separate county pool association under blackball rules. The majority of the top players are leaving EPA and moving over.

Do we all think that EPA is now old hat and blackball is definitely the future? I am a bit hesitant to move but I need to make my decision before Sunday!

Any help/advise/opinions would be gladly received!

Thank you.
    Neil.
    JFT96 YNWA

I don't think there is one correct answer here Neil.

I play Blackball on a pool night, and blackball counties , but not because

I perceive it to be the future. Like many, it's just what is played in my area.

If there were both set ups in my area, I'd probably just go with where my team mates / friends

decided to play.

I suppose it depends on what you want from playing.

Sorry if that's not much help, just my feelings on an oft asked question.

------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

just speaking from a spectator's point of view, blackball is so much better to watch than world rules ...

I only play at pub level playing old EPA rules (yes, the tippy-tappy ones!) but world rules, in my opinion, are even worse with logic such as "if I play a deliberate foul pushing that ball over there, he/she can't finish even with 2 visits" or "he/she can't finish so I might as well play a deliberate foul" ...

blackball on the other hand allows skill/combination shots to clear pockets and I also love the two shots do not carry rule ... but, of course, deliberate fouls are not allowed (presumably loss of frame as in old EPA?) ...

I know this doesn't help any player at county level to make a choice but, if UK 8ball is ever going to get big (like on TV or similar), surely it has to be blackball rules?

Comment

I personally prefer world rules because I think it can be a more tactical game which I like.
        But that just proves to you there isn't a right answer you have to follow your heart on this one i'm afraid!
        Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

I started playing BB league last year on Tuesday nights and was selected to play county BB which I didn't really enjoy but that was more to do with the format (playing max 3 frames).

I supplemented this with playing WR league on Monday nights and I used to prefer BB as it was easier to grasp tactically coming from a snooker background.

Now that I have had a full season of WR, I now prefer it to BB..

If I were you I would play both rules if you can although obviously you will have to select only one county body as it gives you flexibility that you can swap and change...

Comment

with the ipa's major switch to blackball all top pros etc have moved ever the ppl who run the epa have strangled it and almost killed our sport with all the back handers/dodgy dealings over the years, plus 2 shots carry should never be at world championship level.

and thats before we go into df's not being able to put ur opponents ball etc lol
            tha what!

Comment

Well with the banning policies being put in force for anyone playing on the ipa tour, I can only think that epa has shot itself in the foot.

Its a trend around the country that BB county is growing, whether that trend continues remains to be seen but if it does= not good for epa. I know for a fact that 2 counties in the region I am from is struggling for competitive teams in epa which was as good as any in the country 2 years ago.

I don't mind either rule set and played both to a decent standard just think its pathetic that the politics dictate to make you choose one over the other.

Comment

Thanks for your comments chaps.

I think i'm going to move over to Blackball as it seems the way forward and i'm not liking the way the EPA are operating.

Also, i think it's exciting being one of the founder members of our new county blackball association.

I'll let you know when it's up and running.

Thanks!
                JFT96 YNWA

Comment

Blackball for me, just joined a singles league in Basildon.

Neil are you going to be playing out of Jester's for Blackball?
                  Justin - The Cue Store - Handmade and Bespoke Cues, Bespoke Fibreglass Cue Cases, Accessories.
                  Website - The Cue Store - E-mail - sales@thecuestore.co.uk - Tel - 01892 882787
                  Skype - thecuestore1 - Whatsapp - 07810 635004
                  Facebook - Like The Cue Store - Twitter - Follow The Cue Store

Comment

Yes, that's the idea anyway.

I really hope it takes off down here. World rules is played in most places but blackball is still new in Sussex.

I'm not sure about surrounding counties either.
                    JFT96 YNWA

Comment

World Rules is played in most places in Kent as well, apart from my league as far as I know.

I wanted to play Blackball in Kent, but isn't going to happen anytime soon due to most of the leagues being affiliated to the EPA.

I don't know if any of the other counties who play under the EPA banner are going to try and get more into Blackball.
                      Justin - The Cue Store - Handmade and Bespoke Cues, Bespoke Fibreglass Cue Cases, Accessories.

Comment

Well I was intending in playing for both as I understand that as we will be a new county, we do not need to affiliate for the first season therefore allowing me to play in both.

Not sure what the EPA would say about it though
                        JFT96 YNWA

Comment

Knowing the EPA you would be banned as soon as they found out.

Comment

Just found this thread that might help Neil - http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...d-tricks-again

Comment

You can't play county for both. But local league pool will have no bearing
                              One way or the other

Comment

Working...
                              X