Stephen Lee enters next GB9 event!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
    Pool is highly disorganized and a lot of poor choices have been made which keeps the game down. I think Daryl Peach won $100,000 at the 2006 world 9 ball championships, but the WPA's decision to create a world title for just about every game devalued Matchroom Sports product (the World Pool Championship) so they pulled out and focused on the World Pool Masters as well as the Mosconi Cup. None of the pool world championships have been able to recover.

The top players can make a decent amount of money, but they play constantly. Where snooker professionals have been complaining about a hectic calender (28 tournaments is it?), top pool players are playing tournaments almost every weekend and playing challenge matches just to nickle and dime their way up to 50-100,000 for the year.

Without an organisation to bring all of the professional pool events together, I really don't see things getting much better. Although my preference is snooker, I love all cue sports and ideally I'd love to see them all succeed. It's a shame to see top level events with 20-30 people in the stands.
    50/100,000 for the year how bustamante is a top player and won 38000 in Feb alone

Just been checking the money lists for pool on average 3/4 players out of the whole tour make between 100 and 200 grand a year but I can't seem to get any accurate career earnings for the top guys. it says earl Strickland as only won just under 500 g in total but I know for fact in won 1 million in 96 for breaking and running 10 racks on the bounce
    Last edited by ste bed; 23 March 2013, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I've never been able to find career aggregate earnings for any player. At best you can go here, http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2....php?year=2013 and add it up for the past 13 years.

This list isn't completely accurate as it doesn't mention all of the little tournaments these guys play in but it gives a reasonable idea of how much they make. It also doesn't seem to include all of the players who only compete in Asia. Nonetheless, you get few outliers from year to year who get on a hot streak and make 100-200,000, but the 10th ranked guy is often in the 50,000 range or less. For example on the 2012 money list, Shane, Darren and Dennis made over 100,000, the number four guy made 57,000. Ralf Souqet was number 10 and made 36,733.

You can make decent money if your one of the best in the world, but it doesn't seem to be consistent for anyone. Not for more than a few years, or unless your name is Shane Van Boening.

Comment

Originally Posted by ian046 View Post
        what are you crazy? im pretty sure there is more money in american pool then snooker... there is a tournement like every week somewhere in the world..... you can also play different variants ie 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball, 1 pocket, banks, straight pool, bonus ball and a few others
        there is ZERO $$$ in American pool, only Shane is earning a living, everyone else is starving.

Travel & rooms entry fee's etc is about $50K/yr for the top guys, So when SVB shows $150K USD it nets out to $100K, Ralf lost $$$ only earning $33K last year in tourny's(he never gambles). Its been getting worse and worse since I been around it-1985. Its a horrible way to earn a living.
        Last edited by Fatboy; 26 April 2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
          50/100,000 for the year how bustamante is a top player and won 38000 in Feb alone

Just been checking the money lists for pool on average 3/4 players out of the whole tour make between 100 and 200 grand a year but I can't seem to get any accurate career earnings for the top guys. it says earl Strickland as only won just under 500 g in total but I know for fact in won 1 million in 96 for breaking and running 10 racks on the bounce
          Earl didnt get he whole Mil, that was a prop that the promoter used to start off a tour, nobody figured to actually hit it, Earl did the very first event. I know the promoter.

the reason Busty is high in Feb is he one the all-around at the biggest event of the year in Feb, he will be lucky to win 40K more this year in tourneys. he will make $$$ doing exhibitions and gambling. He live in the PI and is just fine, when he comes to America his costs are low as there is always someone willing to help him out with a spot to sleep etc. He is a good guy-in Vegas at the moment.

point is there is no $$$ in pool, even gambling is 15% of what it was 20 years ago. there is no action and ZERO hustling, the internet and camera mobile phones ended that.

Comment

question, how did Lee do in the events?
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              question, how did Lee do in the events?
              wasnt aware he played until this thread, i'm curious too.

Comment

Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
                wasnt aware he played until this thread, i'm curious too.
                He didn't play, Eric.

The GB9 website lists all the runners and riders, with full results etc.

Comment

Rumor is that Stephen Lee and Tony Drago are in trouble with World Snooker for playing in a non sanctioned televised event in Europe last year! not sure of all the details but they will probably just get a fine each of £500

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                    compared to woman's snooker then pool pays well but there's not the money in it some seems to think.

i like you thought it was thriving cash wise but ive been told on good authority snooker pays more.
                    Joneseye is back like Ronnie!

Comment

So who is the best cue man ever from 9 ball, uk 8 ball, us 8 ball, carom, snooker, English billiards, 3 cushion billiards and 9 pin billiards (saw that one on Eurosport and Clive Everton commentated on it.)?

Comment

Originally Posted by david16 View Post
                        So who is the best cue man ever from 9 ball, uk 8 ball, us 8 ball, carom, snooker, English billiards, 3 cushion billiards and 9 pin billiards (saw that one on Eurosport and Clive Everton commentated on it.)?
                        Great way to start an argument - my personal view would be Walter Lindrum (billiards) but I am biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKiGSGdA5k

How do you make a 1000 break?

Just 9 more hundreds

: )
                        Last edited by mythman69; 19 May 2013, 02:37 PM.
                        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                          Great way to start an argument - my personal view would be Walter Lindrum (billiards) but I am biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKiGSGdA5k

How do you make a 1000 break?

Just 9 more hundreds

: )
                          +1

Wattie gets my vote too. :snooker:

----------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X