No announcement yet.

Pool ball weight help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to the World Eightball Pool Federation website . In the admin section click on bylaws scroll down to Annexe A table and equipment specifications B cue ball shall be 1 7/8 inches 47.6 mm in diameter and a weight of 94 grams.

Comment

cool, thanks for that
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

As an addendum , Steve Daking has weighed 8 x Plain and 8 x Pro Cup whites , selected at random. The average weight for the plain was 98.25g and the Pro Cup was 97.25g. Does this mean " old " style were heavier ? The answer is no , it is an aberration because in the plain balls the lightest was 94g and the two heaviest were 107g , the two heavier balls increased the average weight considerably. The Pro Cups were as follows , 96g x 1 , 97g x 5 , 98g x 1 , 99g x 1 , the Pro cups were more accurate and therefore the average weight was lower.This might suggest that there was a 2-3g ( getting on for 1/8 oz ) difference between the old plain cue balls and the newer red spot and Pro cups , with the odd plain ball being very much heavier as an exeception. eg stejohns white with black dot. There is no doubt in my mind that each type of cue ball plays differently , but as I have previously stated I think that players in the better leagues will have to get used to the Pro Cups , they are more consistent mass/density wise and more easily predictable in their reaction to the various shots used on the table . Uniformity makes up a large part of the modern game , thats why players striving to produce a good game practise for hours so that the same shot using the same weight of shot , produces exactly the same results time after time.A bit robotic perhaps and when everyone has the same action and technique , then other factors come into it such as cloth, atmospherics , humidity etc etc etc.The game and I mean any cue sport is only as hard or as complicated as you want to make it , personally I say " just enjoy yourself and play your game the way you want to play it , perfection or otherwise ". Cue ball weight is relevant but to some of us " pub players " , a nice pint with your mates is more important and if you win a few frames " bonus ".

Comment

What a pointless exercise in weighing the 2 heavy balls and then giving an average. The 2 heavy balls would be the black boxed Chinese crap that go dull and turn grey, then react like a house brick. They have no place on a pool table and should be banned. A waste of about £8 a set and supplied to unsuspecting landlords by pool table rental firms.

Comment

I think that an individual pool ball weighs between 5.5 oz - 6 oz (156 - 170 gm). The thickness of the pool ball is 2.25 inches in diameter.
            pool cue| pool cue cases| billiard balls

Comment

Originally Posted by holyman1 View Post
              I think that an individual pool ball weighs between 5.5 oz - 6 oz (156 - 170 gm). The thickness of the pool ball is 2.25 inches in diameter.
              In UK Pool (EPA/World8Ball/BlackBall) the ball diameter is 2" for colours @ ~119g and 1 7/8" for the cue ball @ ~96g.
              What size is 2.25" US 9ball?

Comment

2.25" I would think.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Badger View Post
                  2.25" I would think.
                  what, for US pool?

that would seem right.
                  even though this thread is concerned with UK pool, I have been looking around for any specs on US balls
                  Last edited by DeanH; 27 June 2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

You've asked what size is a 2.25" ball. It's 2.25". Or 2 1/4 inch. Or 57.15mm in metric. Or are you asking something else?

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Badger View Post
                      You've asked what size is a 2.25" ball. It's 2.25". Or 2 1/4 inch. Or 57.15mm in metric. Or are you asking something else?
                      LOL oops I did didn't I, yes I meant to say is the 2 1/4" used for US pool?

Comment

anyway, found it, for US pool all balls measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms] from the bca website.

Comment

Working...
                        X