Pool ball weight help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool ball weight help??

Just wondering if anyone could do me a favour regarding pool ball weights (2" and 1 7/8" cue ball).

If you have a good quality set of balls could you kindly weigh the cue ball and a red or yellow and let me know the result?

We have 3 or 4 sets of balls and a few white balls and they all weigh different some by a big margin, so just wanted to gauge a rough standard.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

They all vary even the aramith balls, excepting the pro cup sets
    which are at the heavier end of the weight range.
    They aren't a set amount heavier than other balls as most people
    say, they are all the same heavier weight.
    So if you're used to a light set they seem heavier.
    The other whites you've got you're best just maching them with hat balls suit

Comment

Thats fair enough, guessed they would vary bit, its more the difference between the cue ball and other balls i was wondering about, the white balls vary between 90 grams to 108 grams that's a massive difference so compared to the other balls at around 116grams i wasn't sure what was the best match.

Comment

The old plain white cue balls were lighter than the object balls and reacted more. The newer " red spot " cue balls are heavier than the originals and the Pro s are heavier still. My league now uses " red spot " ( normal sets ) in Premier League matches , with the option to use Pro sets if you have them . All three cue balls react differently , with the Pro sets being more like a typical snooker cue ball reaction , this is because the cue ball is now very much closer to the weight/mass/density of the object ball than the original plain white cue ball. Personally I think the " newer " balls take time to adjust to , they come off the cushions quicker , roll & spin for longer and react less ( but more predictably ) off the object ball , particularly with stun and screw shots , but also with shots involving running side or top. Timing of a shot is now more important as is the weight of a shot. I predict anyone playing in some of the more advanced leagues will end up playing with the Pro sets in the not too distant future , so maybe now is the time to get used to them , if you are serious about your game.

Comment

Thanks for the info Old school,

Funnily enough a couple of the older looking white balls are the lightest and actually measure slightly smaller than 1 7/8" as well. We have a cue ball with a black circle/dot on it that looks newer (i.e no marks/chips etc) and is the heaviest. I much prefer playing with this one, like you say playing run through is easier and more comparable to snooker balls and with screw backs need to put a little more effort in, but i find it easier to control for some reason.

Comment

Might be of interest to you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C0ZhZSn4L8
            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
              Might be of interest to you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C0ZhZSn4L8
              yep, thanks for the link

Comment

if you are playing world rules there by laws state the cue ball weight must be 94 grams.

Comment

Not a problem . My friends in Trent Trophies League reckon on there being a 2 gramme diference in weight between the old plain cue ball and the Pro sets cue ball. The old 1 7/8" plain ball definately lighter.

Comment

I've weighed a few sets, including Aramith green box and Pro Cup, as well as the Chinese crap.

Pro cup averages about 2.5gr heavier than the standard Aramith balls. White is 2.7gr heavier.

Here's another stat for you. The reason that the Pro cup balls all weigh more, is because they're bigger. Generally between 0.11- 0.15mm bigger. And here's a weird one. The yellows are very fractionally bigger and heavier than the reds. Well they are in my box. Generally between 0.1mm and 0.15mm bigger. Although the black in the set I measured was only 0.01mm bigger. The white was 0.22mm bigger than the standard Aramith white. I've noticed that the old yellows were also marginally heavier than the old reds. Between 0.1 and 0.2gr.

The Chinese crap white ball was about substantially heavier, but I forget the actual weight. Little wonder that they react poorly.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Badger View Post
                      I've weighed a few sets, including Aramith green box and Pro Cup, as well as the Chinese crap.

Pro cup averages about 2.5gr heavier than the standard Aramith balls. White is 2.7gr heavier.

Here's another stat for you. The reason that the Pro cup balls all weigh more, is because they're bigger. Generally between 0.11- 0.15mm bigger. And here's a weird one. The yellows are very fractionally bigger and heavier than the reds. Well they are in my box. Generally between 0.1mm and 0.15mm bigger. Although the black in the set I measured was only 0.01mm bigger. The white was 0.22mm bigger than the standard Aramith white. I've noticed that the old yellows were also marginally heavier than the old reds. Between 0.1 and 0.2gr.

The Chinese crap white ball was about substantially heavier, but I forget the actual weight. Little wonder that they react poorly.
                      thanks for this, what was the actual weight of the balls (not just the difference )?
                      and are you saying that the Pro cue ball (which should be smaller than the colours) is actually heavier than the colours in its set?
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
                        if you are playing world rules there by laws state the cue ball weight must be 94 grams.
                        is there a link to these by-laws anywhere?
                        cheers

Comment

Standard Aramiths ball = 116gr
                          Standard Aramith white= 96gr

Procup object ball = 119gr
                          Procup white = 98.1gr

The object balls vary about 0.5gr through each set, although there is less variance in the Procup set. The whites also vary about 0.4gr between those that I've weighed.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            is there a link to these by-laws anywhere?
                            cheers
                            I've played WR for many years and have no knowledge of this. A google search revealed nothing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Badger View Post
                              I've played WR for many years and have no knowledge of this. A google search revealed nothing.
                              same here
                              I have rules and guidances, etc, from over the years and never seen any mention of specific weight (only that they should be the same for the lag)
                              hence I hope Grimreaper can enlighten us
                              It may be a local/Australia by-law?

Comment

Working...
                              X