World Rules - Jump Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Rules - Jump Shot

Had a discussion with someone about the Jump Shot, and specifically the wording in the EPA/WEPF rules.
    Scenario: Player plays the break off shot, AFTER hitting an object ball the Cue Ball lifts off the playing surface and proceeds to go over some balls.
    Matey had the view that the rules stipulate that anytime the cue ball lifts off the playing surface and goes over any ball, it is a foul.
    My view is that an object ball had already been legitimately hit so no jump shot.
    After looking at the rules, it is not that clear (no surprise there )
    EPA/WEPF Rules
    Standard Fouls
    K22 - Accidental Jump shot, miscue, or when forcing the cue ball to a cushion and the rebound jumps a ball. (If the Cue ball leaves the bed of the table and misses an Object ball that would have been struck had the Cue Ball not left the table on an otherwise identical shot, the Cue Ball is deemed to have jumped over that object ball). A break shot that results in the pack being jumped will be deemed to be not a Fair Break (see 4b). Also note M5 serious fouls.
    Serious Standard Fouls
    M5 - Deliberate jump shot caused by elevating the cue on the shot, and forcing the cue ball to rebound from the bed of the table and causing the Cue Ball to Jump over any ball. (If the Cue ball leaves the bed of the table and misses an Object ball that would have been struck had the Cue Ball not left the table on an otherwise identical shot, the Cue Ball is deemed to have jumped over that object ball) Also note K22 standard fouls.
    EPA/WEPF Guidance to Referees
    Accidental Jump Shot
    If a Player elevates the Cue in order to impart backspin, and as a result the Cue Ball jumps a ball, then this will not be considered accidental, a serious foul must be awarded.
    The cue ball leaving the bed of the table and making first contact with the reverse side of an object ball, that it would have struck had it not left the table on an otherwise identical shot, is not a jump shot.
    If the cue ball leaves the bed of the table, jumps over an object ball, hits the cushion, and returns to make first contact with that object ball, then a jump shot has been played.

My point is that no where does it say that it is NOT a jump shot if the Cue Ball had already hit a Object Ball and then subsequently lifts off the playing surface.
    In the Snooker rules they do define the caveats.
    Snooker Sec 2.20 Jump Shot
    A jump shot is made when the cue-ball passes over any part of an object ball, whether touching it in the process or not, except:
    (a) when the cue-ball first strikes one object ball and then jumps over another ball;
    (b) when the cue-ball jumps and strikes an object ball, but does not land on the far side of that ball;
    (c) when, after striking an object ball lawfully, the cue-ball jumps over that ball after hitting a cushion or another ball.

Anyone's thought's, gratefully received
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but: What's the difference between a standard and a serious foul?
    Shreddin' balls :livid:

Comment

Originally Posted by shredder View Post
      Sorry to go a bit off topic, but: What's the difference between a standard and a serious foul?
      Essentially, a Standard Foul is those fouls that the non-offending player receives Two Visits; a Serious Foul is those that results in the Referee replacing the balls to the previous positions and the non-offending player receives Two Visits.

Comment

there are 22 Standard Fouls listed, and 6 Serious Fouls.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          there are 22 Standard Fouls listed, and 6 Serious Fouls.
          I agree with you dean, definitely not a foul. ( I've asked Steve Daking to confirm it though!)
          Last edited by danam1; 23 June 2013, 04:34 PM.
          Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
            I agree with you dean, definitely not a foul. ( I've asked Steve Daking to confirm it though!)
            cheers, again the wording in the rules is ambiguous or even leaves out something essential
            Luckily it was just a discussion and not a situation in a match.
            look forward to hearing Steve's judgement

Comment

Well here it is.....we were both wrong!

It's a foul because the Cue ball leaves the bed of the table and misses an Object ball that would have been struck had the Cue Ball not left the table. The fact that the ball has jumped after hitting the first object ball is irrelevant (but that would be fine under old EPA rules, so I guess that's where the confusion comes from). As you can see, World Rules are pretty clear about it, they don't mention a ball jumping after first contact with a ball on because they don't have to - every time the cue ball jumps over any object ball is a foul.
              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

World Rules - Jump Shot

well bugger me!
                thanks for that
                mega rethink when reffing the next game

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  well bugger me!
                  thanks for that
                  mega rethink when reffing the next game
                  Lol, that's exactly what I said!!
                  Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

World Rules - Jump Shot

lol
                    I expect the same reaction when I pass on this news to the team on Monday night practice.

Comment

I will be very surprised if many of them all ready know it.
                      You will be known as Mr smarty pants for the night!
                      Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

World Rules - Jump Shot

oh you know me then

Comment

Can't see how it can be a foul as you've made contact with the ball you would have hit had the cue ball not jumped, had you jumped over the pack and hit the cushion then contacted the back of the pack then that would be a foul. Crazy but doesn't suprise me, world rules are crap!!

Comment

I love world rules. Wouldn't play anything else now.
                            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Yep I do like them to play but the rules are aggrevatingly ambiguous sometimes

Comment

Working...
                              X