Tips on a tip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on a tip.

Hi. I am currently using a Talisman medium but I want a change. It just doesn't seem right to me. It doesn't seem to hold chalk well and isn't the most responsive tip I've used but I am still a beginner. I want a tip that is better for spin and I heard harder tips are better if you use power more often. Being a 8 ball player I feel cue ball control is much more important. Can anyone give me any recommendations please? Thanks.

hey there, i have tried the talisman tip and must admit i experienced the same problems so tried a kamui MH tip and it certainly ticks all the box's for me. i know a lot of it is down to technique and so forth but since using the kamui i can easily screw the cue ball from the bulk line pot the object ball in line with the pink spot and have the cue ball back in bulk.....ok i might miss a few shots lol
    but....
    on my 8 ball cue i have always used an elk master, i've never been tempted to try a laminated tip as the elk ticks all the boxes
    hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that its hard to find a good Elk so that's my only concern with those.

Comment

its not that hard to find a good elk, try and push your thumb nail into the side of the tip, if it sinks in deep its too soft and no good, if it just leaves a small mark it will be good, the less your nail sinks in the harder the tip. personally id suggest you the Buffalo Diamond Plus tips, they're brilliant

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
          its not that hard to find a good elk, try and push your thumb nail into the side of the tip, if it sinks in deep its too soft and no good, if it just leaves a small mark it will be good, the less your nail sinks in the harder the tip. personally id suggest you the Buffalo Diamond Plus tips, they're brilliant
          they are good or if you must try laminated the talisman soft make up 90% of the market and the phoenix are good.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Still rate the MW super tip followed closely by Elks.

What tip do you use ADR ?
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
              Still rate the MW super tip followed closely by Elks.

What tip do you use ADR ?
              it depends on the game and the cue mate but generally the talisman soft or phoenix for pool and hercules for snooker

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                it depends on the game and the cue mate but generally the talisman soft or phoenix for pool and hercules for snooker
                cant fault talisman soft....imo the best tip out there

Comment

I only buy tips online so I can't put my nail in the side to test the Elks. I have gone for some mw supertips this time round but if they don't feel right I will try a phoenix or talisman soft. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                    cant fault talisman soft....imo the best tip out there
                    they have been the best selling laminated tip for about 10 years

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      they have been the best selling laminated tip for about 10 years

theres a good reason for that lol. not only do you get a consistent hit they are grippy enough to screw with ease

Comment

Originally Posted by Canny Tim View Post
                        I only buy tips online so I can't put my nail in the side to test the Elks. I have gone for some mw supertips this time round but if they don't feel right I will try a phoenix or talisman soft. Thanks for the replies.
                        they will feel right

about talisman soft - they are not soft. they are not even medium. they are hard. really hard.

in fact, i fail to understand why anyone thinks they're good for snooker/pool.

they are hard wearing and perfect for american pool. big balls, little finesse.

other laminated tips are softer, but where's the real benefit? with softness come less durability and they become like a single layer tip in terms of wearability. so that's one unique selling point of laminated tips gone...

factor in you have thin layers of leather glued together which often delaminate, there comes a point when you must ask yourself "why am i paying more for a tip that does not last longer and does not play better than one made from a solid piece of high quality leather?"

the answer will be because you have been misled by a combination of poor advice, good marketing, and your own misinterpretation of the word laminated as actually being a desirable thing in tips.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                          they will feel right

about talisman soft - they are not soft. they are not even medium. they are hard. really hard.

other laminated tips are softer, but where's the real benefit? with softness come less durability and they become like a single layer tip in terms of wearability. so that's one unique selling point of laminated tips gone...

factor in you have thin layers of leather glued together which often delaminate, there comes a point when you must ask yourself "why am i paying more for a tip that does not last longer and does not play better than one made from a solid piece of high quality leather?"

the answer will be because you have been misled by a combination of poor advice, good marketing, and your own misinterpretation of the word laminated as actually being a desirable thing in tips.
                          Thanks for the info Mike!

I just ordered some MW super-tips from ADR. I am waiting by the mailbox so I can re-tip my favourite playing cue.
                          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                            they will feel right

Personally i think they are good for snooker Mike as are Phoenix , Kamui yes you are right about the delamination thats why i press mine .

Comment

Personally tried most laminated tips and they are just not for me . Remember watching the white coming off at various different angles when using the Kamui [ I think ] .

MW Supertips for me ......gave one to my mate and he lasted an entire season with one . Won't use anything else and he plays a heck of a lot as well .
                              Only downside is that he wants another for this season
                              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                              X