No announcement yet.

Tips on a tip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried pretty much every pressed tip and didn't like any particularly. If I had to go for one though MW supertips are the way forward. With regards to laminated tips, I much prefer the hit and feel of them. Have tried talisman, but are far too hard. Aurora are quite nice slightly softer than talisman. Currently using a phoenix medium for the last few months, but have to say my favourite is the Kamui MH tip. Although more expensive I feel it offers more than the others for touch shots. I tend to change every 4-5 months as I like a high shoulder on my tips.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
      Personally i think they are good for snooker Mike as are Phoenix , Kamui yes you are right about the delamination thats why i press mine .
      i accept everyone has a different opinion as to what feels nice but there is no laminated tip better than a really good single layer tip made from premium leather, e.g. a good elk master.

as for delamination, talisman are known to suffer occasionally, as do phoenix and other brands.

that's not to say they all do, or always will, and if they don't, then happy days.

but i'd rather hit a cue ball with a solid tip than one held together by glue. not least cos i fail to see how hitting the cueball with a layer of glue that inevitably gets revealed during shaping and wear can be beneficial.
      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Tips on a tip.

I tried once MW SuperTips, and then I fed my neighbour's dog with all O'min laminated tips that I have, because I dont need them anymore. SuperTips is just way too much better than it.
        (^_^)

Comment

Originally Posted by involver View Post
          I tried once MW SuperTips, and then I fed my neighbour's dog with all O'min laminated tips that I have, because I dont need them anymore. SuperTips is just way too much better than it.
          (^_^)
          lol. very funny
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
            Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            Still rate the MW super tip followed closely by Elks.

What tip do you use ADR ?
            it depends on the game and the cue mate but generally the talisman soft or phoenix for pool and hercules for snooker
            Tried a couple of the Hercules H2 tips which came from you indirectly from a former friend Andrew both on my snooker cue and on my pool cue, great tips, just a faf on taking them down from 14mm lol

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
              Originally Posted by Canny Tim View Post
              I only buy tips online so I can't put my nail in the side to test the Elks. I have gone for some mw supertips this time round but if they don't feel right I will try a phoenix or talisman soft. Thanks for the replies.
              they will feel right

about talisman soft - they are not soft. they are not even medium. they are hard. really hard.

in fact, i fail to understand why anyone thinks they're good for snooker/pool.

they are hard wearing and perfect for american pool. big balls, little finesse.

other laminated tips are softer, but where's the real benefit? with softness come less durability and they become like a single layer tip in terms of wearability. so that's one unique selling point of laminated tips gone...

factor in you have thin layers of leather glued together which often delaminate, there comes a point when you must ask yourself "why am i paying more for a tip that does not last longer and does not play better than one made from a solid piece of high quality leather?"

the answer will be because you have been misled by a combination of poor advice, good marketing, and your own misinterpretation of the word laminated as actually being a desirable thing in tips.
              Aren't your new blackspin tips two layers Mike? :-P
              Last edited by Dave Walton; 13 August 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Personally never tried Mikes super tips but never heard a bad word about them other than the price lol, can't imagine you can go far wrong with them, he's like a mad scientist that has to have things perfect lol. Seriously though the Diamond Plus are excellent, I really like elks but the Diamond Plus are better, if you prefer harder tips but want to use pressed tips try the GBL Pro Granite tips, very hard but good pressed tip that's still softer than any laminated tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                  Aren't your new blackspin tips two layers Mike? :-P
                  yes. but there is a big difference - the bottom layer is never played on and serves only as 'bed' for the tip and to make it easier to change tips without potentially damaging the ferrule surface.

the bottom layer, whilst an integral part of the soon to be released blackpsin tip, can also be left on the cue and a new, different if you so desire, tip glued to that.
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

he's like a mad scientist that has to have things perfect lol.
                    you're not wrong there. i spend a lot of my time devising new things to both improve what i do and make things easier to achieve.

they know i'm up to something when i walk in the workshop, look around for a space, and say "mmm...i've had an idea"
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Personally never tried Mikes super tips but never heard a bad word about them other than the price lol, can't imagine you can go far wrong with them, he's like a mad scientist that has to have things perfect lol. Seriously though the Diamond Plus are excellent, I really like elks but the Diamond Plus are better, if you prefer harder tips but want to use pressed tips try the GBL Pro Granite tips, very hard but good pressed tip that's still softer than any laminated tip.
                      If you want Dave I can send you a MW supertip. I find them the best tips around at moment but gonna trial a few more as well.

Comment

not often i find myself in disagreement with the cue father but i think laminated tips are a superb idea, i like a hard tip, soft tips are for girls! and i find the feel a touch of a good laminated tip to be better than a pressed tip, the only thing i don't like is that many of them make a ping noise when playing with power.
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Now and again a take a wee notion to see if the grass in greener in the other side(laminated...) and although i did like the phoenix medium... there were certain shots i wasn't fully happy with, full table screw and screwing with the rest to name a few, i always come back to a nice hard elk pressed tip be that MW super tip or similar, so i can sort of agree that laminated tips are not always ideal for a 12x6 ft table!
                          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

And the last thing you want is a ping when you play, if your any good!
                            The only time i hear a ping is when I'm trying to get the tip off, to stick on a medium elk enjoy

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                            the only thing i don't like is that many of them make a ping noise when playing with power.

Comment

I personally like the genuine moori soft tip, i first tried these on a snooker cue about 18 months ago as i had a bit of stock for american pool, they do bed in slightly and then i can play all the shots and have not noticed a ping at all.

A word of caution though, i have spent the last year trying to get genuine ones as 90% are fake, this all stems from the tsunami and the counterfiters taking advantage. genuine moori tips have 9 layers not 8 and the holagram on the packaging says genuine not authentic and it is harder to see on the genuine ones.

a good elkmaster tip are as good as any tip but few and far between and dont last long if you play alot.

Comment

Originally Posted by louise sheldon View Post
                                I personally like the genuine moori soft tip, i first tried these on a snooker cue about 18 months ago as i had a bit of stock for american pool, they do bed in slightly and then i can play all the shots and have not noticed a ping at all.

A word of caution though, i have spent the last year trying to get genuine ones as 90% are fake, this all stems from the tsunami and the counterfiters taking advantage. genuine moori tips have 9 layers not 8 and the holagram on the packaging says genuine not authentic and it is harder to see on the genuine ones.

a good elkmaster tip are as good as any tip but few and far between and dont last long if you play alot.
                                think he has died now so they are all fake! but try joe nielsen billiards in the usa. the hercules H2 are very similar things.
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X