just played a Surrey C player ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just played a Surrey C player ...

regular readers may be aware that I've had a few run-ins with the snooker "snobs" on the forum who seem to think I must be a pathetic cue-sports player and doing something seriously wrong as my snooker high break is a paltry 31 ...

I've tried to explain to them I only play snooker occasionally, socially with friends who are actually worse than me but they've never given me any credit for that ...

on to tonight ... I was down the pub and there was a guy sitting at the bar chatting to the barmaid saying he played for Surrey County "C" ... so we had a couple of frames [edit - on the UK 8ball pool table] ...

I was expecting to get slaughtered whilst enjoying watching him play but the score was ... DandyA 2 Surrey C 0 ... pretty convincingly too IMO - he never had a reasonable chance at an out in either frame whilst I kept the white under good control (either potting or safety) and made my finish both times ...

I'm not saying I'm any good in the overall scheme of things but, equally, I don't think I'm as bad as some of the snooker "snobs" make out as tonights results shows ...

thoughts anyone?

[EDIT] ... oops ... just noticed I didn't make it clear in my posting that I was talking about UK 8ball pool - I did post it in the pool forum but that's easy to miss ... sorry for any confusion ...

I wouldn't think I stand a chance of winning a single frame against a Surrey County snooker player!
    Last edited by DandyA; 14 August 2013, 06:07 PM.

Well, it proves that there is more to snooker than break building. Furthermore, I think people get too hung up on high breaks as an indicator of skill. Your high break will win you a grand total or ONE game, maybe. Unless of course your high break is a 147 and you've made several in competition I guess, but the point still stands. A much better indicator is average high break per match, or per frame.

Comment

Amen that. High breaks only show breakbuilding skill, which no one can deny, is an absolute art form. However surely your ability on the snooker table is more apparent in your win percentage!
      "You're not playing the player; you playing the table."

6th out of 166 in Winter League '13 - '14 with 80% ;D
      EPRA Qualified World Rules Referee #844

sigpic

Comment

Well done Dandy
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Big breaks are nice to get but are not the be all and end all, i'd rather sacrifice high breaks for a better safety game and end up winning more....fact

Comment

oops ... just noticed I didn't make it clear in my posting that I was talking about UK 8ball pool - I did post it in the pool forum but that's easy to miss ... sorry for any confusion ...

I wouldn't think I stand a chance of winning a single frame against a Surrey County snooker player!

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
              oops ... just noticed I didn't make it clear in my posting that I was talking about UK 8ball pool - I did post it in the pool forum but that's easy to miss ... sorry for any confusion ...

nice story - so basically people think you are terrible at golf but you managed to beat Tiger at marbles - and you are ecstatic about it

Comment

Pool is no easier to win than snooker.
                Easier to pot yes. Easier to play?
                Depends who you are playing.
                Easier to win? How so?

Comment

Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
                  Pool is no easier to win than snooker.
                  Easier to pot yes. Easier to play?
                  Depends who you are playing.
                  Easier to win? How so?
                  Often harder to win at pool because its an easier game its also eAsier for your opponent

Comment

What is a snooker snob DandyA?

Do you mean some people have had a go at you on here because they consider themselves better players or something?
                    Perhaps they are probably just having a laugh with you fella - don't take it personally just banter no doubt. I do not think it matters what your standard is, as long as you enjoy the game watching, playing or even reading and writing about it on here.
                    Well done on your win by the way good going beating anyone of that standard - even if it was at pool. Well done, keep it up -confidence breeds confidence.

Comment

All in all a frame or 2 or 6 can be lost in the blink of an eye if your not playing well.
                      No matter who you are

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                        Often harder to win at pool because its an easier game its also eAsier for your opponent
                        That makes no sense sorry. You are saying its harder to win because the game is easier to play for both of you?

Eh?

Comment

yes in that if your a good pool player its much easier for your opponent to win with limited talent whereas a snooker player with limited talent just won't beat a good snooker player, making it harder to win consistently because almost anyone is capable of beating anyone over short distance at pool
                          Last edited by Dave Walton; 18 August 2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                            What is a snooker snob DandyA?

Do you mean some people have had a go at you on here because they consider themselves better players or something?
                            Perhaps they are probably just having a laugh with you fella - don't take it personally just banter no doubt. I do not think it matters what your standard is, as long as you enjoy the game watching, playing or even reading and writing about it on here.
                            Well done on your win by the way good going beating anyone of that standard - even if it was at pool. Well done, keep it up -confidence breeds confidence.
                            I think he means the snooker players who look down there nose at players who don't have top makers cues and more so the ones who look down on pool players and reckon people only play pool because they can't play snooker and pool is just a micky mouse game.

Comment

Whats ironic is that generally speaking snookers players come out 2nd against good pool players on a pool table, particularly when they first start playing pool having come from snooker.
                              The reason being that everyone can pot on that table but there is a lot to learn in terms of tactics and even rules and using them to your advantage.
                              The tactics along with highest potting standard are where the game is at. If you miss it is all over. That pressure can mount up in a big game.
                              Last edited by Grifter; 18 August 2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X