Break.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break.

Hi. Recently I have been working on my break. I have watched a few video's on the internet and have tried to pick as much up as I can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jo_WQrPc1Q This being the video I watched. What he doesn't speak about is stance. Should I be standing any differently during the break? Also I seem to apply a lot of unwanted top spin when breaking even though I'm aiming to hit the ball full in the face. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Thanks.

Stance - should always be the same for all shots, unless you are in those positions where the table is in the way or you are impeded by other balls.
    Unwanted top spin - this is usually because as you deliver the cue you lower the cue butt which in turn raises the tip. The cue butt is usually lowered because your elbow is dropping on delivery. There are several threads concerning elbow drop, have a search for these. Also if you have a rocking cue action, such as Selby had for a while, this can have this effect.
    Is it possible to get a video of you playing, that would help the TSF-coaches to assess and come up with some pointers.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I did post a video of me going through a potting routine. It was on the snooker coaching thread as I'm trying to learn the fundamentals of snooker to put towards my pool game. I didn't break off in the video though.
      Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      Stance - should always be the same for all shots, unless you are in those positions where the table is in the way or you are impeded by other balls.
      Unwanted top spin - this is usually because as you deliver the cue you lower the cue butt which in turn raises the tip. The cue butt is usually lowered because your elbow is dropping on delivery. There are several threads concerning elbow drop, have a search for these. Also if you have a rocking cue action, such as Selby had for a while, this can have this effect.
      Is it possible to get a video of you playing, that would help the TSF-coaches to assess and come up with some pointers.

Comment

The usual break off shot does have a touch of top and side (to swing the white away from the Blue).
        Do you notice any unwanted top on other shots (in amongst the balls, long shots, etc.)?

Comment

I am talking about the 8 ball pool break at the moment There isn't usually any unwanted spin on normal shots though.
          Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          The usual break off shot does have a touch of top and side (to swing the white away from the Blue).
          Do you notice any unwanted top on other shots (in amongst the balls, long shots, etc.)?

Comment

oops, sorry did not see the Pool section.
            Pool 8 ball break off, there are several thoughts on this, some play with top to get the cue ball following through and ending up (hopefully) on a colour or two to continue. Some break with stun/gentle screw to keep the cue ball in the middle of the table and not tight against a colour like break off shot 1 could end up as.
            Your original post said you were getting unwanted top from the break, so I would guess that as you are attempting to get power into your shot and you are dropping the butt, either dropping the elbow and or shoulder to get power.
            I hope a coach will pop on here to explain better but adding "physical" power (from your bady) is not the best method, getting speed of the cue delivery up is where the power of the shot comes from. This is different from "giving it clout" physical method

Comment

Cue ball 3-4 inches from side cushion on baulk line, hard stun shot onto 2nd ball down on the same side as the cue ball.

Cue ball hits pack, over to side cush, then back into the pack.

Gets a ball most times on the table I play on in my club, but it needs experimenting with with on a table by table basis.

Ross Mcinnes has a nice fudge break which doesn't split the pack much, but still gets the required 2 x balls past the middle

pockets line ( blackball rules ).

Renzie on here will tell more, as he's equally challenging to watch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

That video was shot at Players ( great venue ) . I break from a similar position to Gareth but from the left hand side of the table , Gareth is left handed and I assume this is why he breaks from the right hand side ( I will have to ask him when I see him ).I tend to be a little closer to the side rail and lower down from the baulk line.This is because I break with an open bridge not a closed one and I have a short back swing ( sometimes only 4"-6" ) .A lot of players use closed bridges gripping the rail to prevent the tip from riding up the cue ball ( back hand drops = top spin ) especially with a large overhang , from bridge to tip.Gareth is accelerating the cue all through the break off to generate the maximum force in the break each time .If he used an open bridge he could not do that as effectively.There is nothing wrong with top , stun , side or screw in any break off , the secret is consistency , breaking exactly the same every time , until you find the one that works for you , that is it. I usually aim at either the top ball or the second ball down and personally for me the break is all about tip speed , generating the power in the break , if I had a longer stroke I too would put unwanted top on the cue ball or miss cue altogether. The only joint that should move is your elbow , keeping the cue parallel to the bed of the table.My stance is left foot forward , left arm straight or almost straight , open bridge , back hand ( right ) in line with my right foot , placed about 12" behind my left and to the side.

Comment

different breaks will work on different tables the cut break (2nd ball down with screw or stun) is fine on fast tables however they do not move the balls about I personally think a welsh player called Simon Ward has the best break I have ever seen and he smash the balls with loads of screw and stun but when he breaks his cue is arcing on the follow through like a 9 ball break. Have a look on you tube for him. remember is how well you cue the white and the object ball not how fast you deliver the cue

Comment

I normally stand a tad closer on the break than I would a normal shot, I find this helps me get through the cue ball better and more follow through. I break from a similar spot to Gareth, but other side of the table being right handed. Usually hit low with a touch of left and either just stun run through the front ball just right of centre or stun/screw through with lots of follow through the ball. Usually I keep the same alignment and vary from stun to screw to see what works best at the time. I always try and keep the cue ball upper half of the table closer to the middle but avoiding the centre pockets.

Comment

Working...
                    X