No announcement yet.

Referee Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This situation happened in our league from a dry break. Red and cue ball touching jammed into the middle pocket, no way of playing away from the red without it falling into the pocket?

okanaf.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by tommydale View Post
      YAY

I believe the referee would first stop the timer (assuming there is one) so as to avoid eating into the oncoming player's 60 seconds. After this, assuming 4+ balls touched a cushion, he would attempt to spot the balls that forced off the table. The black takes priority on its spot, then the red and then the yellow. If the black spot is obstructed, the balls would be aligned in a straight line between the black spot and the short cushion nearest it. If this is not possible, then the ref would attempt to put them in the same straight line but the other side of the spot. Lastly, he would award the oncoming player 2 visits. However, if the break was not fair, the referee would rerack the balls and award the oncoming player 2 visits.

Does that sound rightish?
      I'm not a qualified pool red (only snooker/billiards) but if you want me to be pernickerty, then you should also state that the respotted balls should be close without touching any other balls. Also it is possible that, say, the black goes on its spot ok, the red goes between that and the cushion somewhere and the yellow goes the other side of the black. Your answer gives the impression there's a straight line of the three balls together, but I'm sure you know what you mean.

You also don't state when you restart the clock!

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
        I'm not a qualified pool red (only snooker/billiards) but if you want me to be pernickerty, then you should also state that the respotted balls should be close without touching any other balls. Also it is possible that, say, the black goes on its spot ok, the red goes between that and the cushion somewhere and the yellow goes the other side of the black. Your answer gives the impression there's a straight line of the three balls together, but I'm sure you know what you mean.

You also don't state when you restart the clock!
        got to say that Tommydale did mention the missing detail of close without touching in the next post (#4)
        but your right, the clock is still stopped
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thought after a foul the clock was reset. 1 minute then starts when ref restarts the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by step77 View Post
            Thought after a foul the clock was reset. 1 minute then starts when ref restarts the game.
            you are correct (I think), I was being silly as he had not actually mentioned the clock to restart in his first post

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              The scenario actually happened in a pub league match we had, the funny thing is the player coming to the table made such fuss about bridging over the colour on the edge of pocket before he got the cue into position to play the black, he then played his shot, hitting the black but not potting it, then as he lifted his bridge hand he touched the colour and it dropped into the pocket - it was funny at the time
              Anyway, you mention some of what we went through on the night;
              1) Standard Foul, K.3. Potting an opponent's ball.
              2) Serious Standard Foul, M.3. Deliberately causing any ball to be moved in a manner other than...

the thing is M.3. states "moves" not "pockets"
              any thoughts

What happened on the night was Standard foul, colour stayed in the pocket, opponent 2 visits.
              (easier than putting another £1 to get one colour out )
              The only thing that sticks out for me is that he may not have deliberately potted it in such a manner. I played in my round 2 KO on Monday night, bridged over a yellow and the cue rested on top of it, and moved it into a bit more of an awkward; you could tell it was accidental because I felt so guilty for winning that frame :'). Should have won from where it was, as in I had a **** easy red to the black, but did that instead! Lost overall 3-2 - but I'm a league 2 player and he was premier, so I'm putting that on my CV(!)

Jesus, a quid a game?! Get yourself down to a Riley's, mate, I believe it's £7.50 for a whole hour on freeplay. Either that or student rate, £4.50

Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
              This situation happened in our league from a dry break. Red and cue ball touching jammed into the middle pocket, no way of playing away from the red without it falling into the pocket?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15239[/ATTACH]
              They're not pockets, they're buckets! :}

Did forget to mention that, thank you . I posted another, well, post (ha) after the initial response about the touching ball thing, but not about the clock . I'm never gonna forget that now! :')
              "You're not playing the player; you playing the table."

6th out of 166 in Winter League '13 - '14 with 80% ;D
              EPRA Qualified World Rules Referee #844

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by tommydale View Post
                Jesus, a quid a game?! Get yourself down to a Riley's, mate, I believe it's £7.50 for a whole hour on freeplay. Either that or student rate, £4.50
                no Rileys around us anymore for years, we are a pub league and the pub pays for the table
                so free for us :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  no Rileys around us anymore for years, we are a pub league and the pub pays for the table
                  so free for us :snooker:
                  Oh in that case, stay at the pub! Didn't realise they paid for it :}. Wish ours bloody did! The team I play for now just take out the tray thing, whereas the pub before made you pay for your own games!

sigpic

Comment

Say if I break off and pot a red.I then nominate reds and pot another.Then on my third shot I miscue,the white jumps over the red I was aiming at and hits another red at the front of the pack bursting them everywhere causing a couple of balls to hit a cushion.Is this a foul and if so what happens?

Comment

Jumping over a ball is a foul. 2 visits. It's onky American pool you can jump over a ball.

Comment

Jumping over a ball is a foul. 2 visits. It's onky American pool you can jump over a ball.
                        What an anticlimax.

sigpic

Comment

I played a similar shot in the european championships in Daventry where a official referee saw the shot.The only difference being when I jumped over my intended object ball I didnt break up a pack.The call made by the referee was all balls had to be replaced as it was "serious foul".I questioned the ref how would it be possible to replace them if I had split a pack and moved lots of balls.Her reply was "you would have to do your best"!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by sfmcar View Post
                            I played a similar shot in the european championships in Daventry where a official referee saw the shot.The only difference being when I jumped over my intended object ball I didnt break up a pack.The call made by the referee was all balls had to be replaced as it was "serious foul".I questioned the ref how would it be possible to replace them if I had split a pack and moved lots of balls.Her reply was "you would have to do your best"!!!
                            In other words she accused you of playing a deliberate jump shot! Accidental jump shots are standard fouls.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
                              In other words she accused you of playing a deliberate jump shot! Accidental jump shots are standard fouls.
                              Maybe so but it was obvious it was accidental as i missed a simple pot!

Comment

Sorry, that's wrong. I was reffing at Yarmouth last year and one of the balls fell down the pocket. I replaced it and one of the refs, did Worlds this year, came over and asked what happened? Said, no shot, ball fell down. They are indifferent refs at times.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X