Will my cue be too short?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my cue be too short?

Hi. I have decided to go ahead and buy myself my first custom cue. It will be used for 8 ball pool as I have started to play a lot more and at a higher level. I am 6ft2 and my current cue is 58" and I feel it is too long. Would a 56" cue be a safe bet or do you think it'd be too small? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Canny Tim View Post
    Hi. I have decided to go ahead and buy myself my first custom cue. It will be used for 8 ball pool as I have started to play a lot more and at a higher level. I am 6ft2 and my current cue is 58" and I feel it is too long. Would a 56" cue be a safe bet or do you think it'd be too small? Thanks.
    Try some other player's cues in your club/pub, of varying lengths, and you'll find out.

Ramember they'll all feel different, but try and concentrate on the length obv. Hope this helps. .

Comment

If you're comfortable with using a 58" cue then stick with it. I've gone from Snooker to Pool and back again, convinced myself that I need a shorter/Longer cue then just gone back to my original, I'm 5ft 10 and found 56" cue way too short, gone back to my 57.5. As everyone will tell you play with whatever you find most comfortable :-) Same thing for tip size people will tell you need smaller tip for pool blah blah blah more side, control etc.........

I know someone that plays to a very high standard pool wise (England International) he plays with an old Rileys cue and 9mm+ tip, so again use whatever you find that suits you. As Billabong mentions try other peoples cues before investing too much, otherwise you'll end up spending loads of money and time trying to find your so called 'Perfect' cue, trust me I've been there!

Comment

Well i'm 6.2 and have tried cues at 58.5 / 59 and found them too long.
        I am back using a cue at 57.75 and am playing the best snooker of my life.
        Its about what feels right for you but don't feel because you taller like me
        you need to go to a longer cue. I was always told long is wrong and my touch
        in the pack was awful with a long cue just didn't feel right and my confidence
        suffered badly.

Comment

58 is fine.

Don't overthink this.

Comment

How much cue should be hanging at the end? I have quite a lot as I hold quite a bit down the cue. I don't like having too much cue beyond my bridge either

Comment

i use a 57 for snooker and have about 8" over the bridge. iv used a light 55" for english pool and was hard to beat with it

Comment

I'm 5' 8" and use a 53" cue which others refer to as a tooth pick. I played at the highest level down-under and beat every prof. I played. If you are comfortable with a 56" that's the size to use, that said, I think you would be better off with a 57".

Comment

What makes you think I'd be better with a 57"? How far is your bridging hand away from the white? 53" seems awfully small :P

Comment

Preference really. Although I agree 58" should be good for you. I'm 6ft 4" and a 57" comes upto the armpit. There's no overhang on the butt end when on the stroke but it feels normal. Maybe I should try a 60" though.

Comment

Will my cue be too short?

I'm 6ft 5'5 and use 57 but run out of cue sometimes. I feel I have more cue ball control with shorter cue.
                      If it was me I'd go 58 and forget about it. Or you'll over think it

Comment

Originally Posted by RoryM147 View Post
                        Preference really. Although I agree 58" should be good for you. I'm 6ft 4" and a 57" comes upto the armpit. There's no overhang on the butt end when on the stroke but it feels normal. Maybe I should try a 60" though.
                        Do you have an overly large head!? I joke... I'm 6ft2 and my 58" cue doesn't even come close to my armpit... though that's a decent gauge, I think arm span is more important when finding a cue to be comfortable with...
                        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                          Do you have an overly large head!? I joke... I'm 6ft2 and my 58" cue doesn't even come close to my armpit... though that's a decent gauge, I think arm span is more important when finding a cue to be comfortable with...

Hahahahha it's more like at the start of the armpit, chest area I mean. When I leave an overhang on the butt it doesn't feel right.

Comment

Originally Posted by RoryM147 View Post
                            Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post

Hahahahha it's more like at the start of the armpit, chest area I mean. When I leave an overhang on the butt it doesn't feel right.
                            No worries bud I thought there was maybe something wrong with me! Ha...
                            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

The way I picked the length of my cue was determined by the address position . With me in the address position with the tip about 2 mm away from the cue ball and the forearm of my grip hand vertical position I wanted an inch to spare on the butt of the cue .
                              I had been using a 58 which had about 1/2 inch overhang so my new cue is 58.5 to give my an inch overhang .

I have long arms and play with only a slight bend in my bridge arm ,so chose length to suit my body position . My mate is as tall as me but prefers a 57.5 , he plays more compact than me with a much bigger bend in his bridge arm so maybe that's why

Comment

Working...
                              X