What do the weights of cloth mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the weights of cloth mean?

Replacing my rolly table for a used supreme winner.

rolly table got 777 on it and it's far too slow.

Thinking about 6811 pool as read positive things about it.

What do the weights mean please?

http://www.wsptextiles.com/strachan-...-product-range

does it mean the 6811 pool will be as slow as the 777 as the figures are the same?

Thanks

Generally the cloth weight signifies thickness and that will relate to speed. The thicker the cloth the slower the table plays.

How about Hainsworth or Simonis? They make pretty good pool cloths and Hainsworth make some pretty good snooker cloths (but not Simonis who have something called 4000 snooker cloth and it is very slow)
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

The 777 Premier is a napped cloth, so it would need to be brushed and ironed regularly to maintain its speed, which I suspect may be your problem.

I must say that didn't know pool tables used a napped cloth, and I'm not sure why this would be considered necessary. Perhaps it is an English thing. It doesn't seem to by unduly heavy (899g/sq.m - 29oz/sq.yd) and is the same weight as your alternative 6811 Pool. The weight is the key factor to the speed of a bedcloth cloth. I presume that the difference between the two is that one is napped and the other not.

Comment

What do the weights of cloth mean?

we suspect that we now have 777 on our table and it is Carpet!
        even with brushing and ironing it any reasonable speed and evenness goes after a few frames

personally if/when we have a recloth I hope to get hainsworth match
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          we suspect that we now have 777 on our table and it is Carpet!
          even with brushing and ironing it any reasonable speed and evenness goes after a few frames
          glad I'm not the only one.

Was starting to think maybe I'm just being too fussy.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Generally the cloth weight signifies thickness and that will relate to speed. The thicker the cloth the slower the table plays.

How about Hainsworth or Simonis? They make pretty good pool cloths and Hainsworth make some pretty good snooker cloths (but not Simonis who have something called 4000 snooker cloth and it is very slow)
            Which hainsworth would you suggest?

Table is in a shed so need to factor in the unavoidable damp and humid conditions when not in use. (Table is covered when not in use)

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
              The 777 Premier is a napped cloth, so it would need to be brushed and ironed regularly to maintain its speed, which I suspect may be your problem.

I must say that didn't know pool tables used a napped cloth, and I'm not sure why this would be considered necessary. Perhaps it is an English thing. It doesn't seem to by unduly heavy (899g/sq.m - 29oz/sq.yd) and is the same weight as your alternative 6811 Pool. The weight is the key factor to the speed of a bedcloth cloth. I presume that the difference between the two is that one is napped and the other not.
              Both are napped. 6811 says finer nap though.

The 777 was like playing on a shagpile from the minute it went on.

So as they are the same weight I'm to assume they will play the same?

Comment

Working...
              X