Rules help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    The balls don't drop by themselves, hence the penalty. Leave a ball on the edge of a pocket and it will stay there indefinitely. Only one thing should make it drop and that's external forces, wind (unlikely unless outdoors) or someone moving the table.
    But a lot of times those 'external forces' are not the player at the table, but other things beyond the player's control, such as people walking nearby, adjacent trains going by, lorries on the road outside etc. It is harsh to penalise the person who just happens to be at the table when something else interferes with the table.
    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
      But a lot of times those 'external forces' are not the player at the table, but other things beyond the player's control, such as people walking nearby, adjacent trains going by, lorries on the road outside etc. It is harsh to penalise the person who just happens to be at the table when something else interferes with the table.
      Totally agree
      Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
        Hi Dean,
        I play in 2 different leagues mate. WR in one and "Harwich" rules in the other.
        If in your scenario the ball dropped and you were standing away from the table the ball would be replaced and no foul. In the OP's post he was already at the the table so foul and two visits awarded.
        any other oddities in the "Harwich" version you care to share?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I believe in old rules the opponents visit starts when they touch the table. I vaguely remaining scenarios occuring in the past. See below ruling.

"Player in control

A player is said to be in control of the table from the time their body, cue, or clothing touches the table prior to their shot, throughout the visit, and up until the opponent does likewise prior to their visit. Any ball(s) which fall into pockets during this period, (including the 8 ball (black))."

In the thread scenario, it was his visit and already played shot(s) (touched table) the opponent ball dropped so = foul.

How I understand the rule works.

Player A = Red
          Player B - Yellow

Player A plays his ball, over the pocket but it hangs on edge.
          Player B looks around table thinking of his shot, red ball drops, its Player A continued visit.

If Player B touched the table but no shot played, foul and two shots to Player A.

Comment

the last sentence in the Rule has always annoyed me as to me I think it has not finished;
            Any ball(s) which fall into pockets during this period, (including the 8 ball (black)).... and what?!

Looking at these rules again I remember how poorly they were written in many places. Not saying that the World Rules, etc., of taoday are much better though :biggrin:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              any other oddities in the "Harwich" version you care to share?
              The main thing is, nobody knows what the rules are until a scenario occurs then we have lots of chin scratching and arguments!! I think they are probably a concoction of BAPTO, WEPF and John from down the road rules!
              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Rules help

ah those rules, think I played them in the 90s

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  ah those rules, think I played them in the 90s
                  Yep, there the ones!
                  Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Working...