Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls!

Okay so il start from the top
    I tried a different club last week, they have 4 of the best supreme winners I have played on and they have Aramith super pro's, the long and the short of it is I played awful, I left thinking that the pockets were very tight, very difficult to pot anything down the rail, even just dropping them in was tough, normally I pot those well, even at pace. Last night I was at my usual club and I realised that they have a few sets of super pro's aswell, I had an hour or so with them, same thing, bloody awful, now I know that this table isn't particulary tight, just normal, but that hour was a real struggle. I put the match balls back and just played with the normal set, made a world of difference, I was making clearances easy and balls close to rail was no problem whatsoever, my question is why? Why were the super pro's so tough to play with? I have a pool table at work that I play on during my lunch hour, I wondered if getting a super pro cue ball would help, is it just a case of getting used to them? Sorry for the life story!

What are the Super Pro balls? I have heard of the Aramith Pro Cup and the 1G and the older Super Crystalite and even Vitalite. Are they lighter and perhaps a bit smaller than the 1G balls. This might be the reason you can pot them easier.

However, if you have ambitions of playing in tournaments or leagues then you should practice with the Pro Cup or 1G balls. If you are a social player only then enjoy yourself with these Super Pros, whatever they are.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

They're called super Aramith pro-cup, they're for uk 8 ball, my issue is that I found it very difficult to play with these balls, I played better with the bog standard, I do want to improve my game and play league/tournaments

Comment

Aramith now have a few different Pool "pro" balls
        Super Aramith Pro
        Super Aramith Pro-Cup
        http://www.saluc.com/html/billiard/i...=10#aramithpro

cant find any information as to what is the difference
        I think there is no difference except the "Pro-Cup" set has the spot white.
        Last edited by DeanH; 14 May 2015, 12:07 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Aramith now have a few different Pool "pro" balls
          Super Aramith Pro
          Super Aramith Pro-Cup
          [url]http://www.saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=10#aramithpro[/ur
          cant find any information as to what is the difference
          I think there is no difference except the "Pro-Cup" set has the spot white.
          Yeah these had the spotted white, maybe these balls are denser and show up my cueing imperfections as a result? I dunno, can't afford a full set at the moment, i can afford just the cue ball, il use it a work see if it makes s difference

Comment

My bad...I didn't notice this was a 'pool' discussion
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              My bad...I didn't notice this was a 'pool' discussion
              Not only is it a pool discussion, it's in the Pool forum ...... . We can give you directions back to the Snooker Forum if you're lost

Comment

The Super Aramith Pro Cup balls are slightly heavier and so the white throws slightly wider on cuts and they do react differently, i don't see how any of that would effect you struggling to pot down the rails though

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                  The Super Aramith Pro Cup balls are slightly heavier and so the white throws slightly wider on cuts and they do react differently, i don't see how any of that would effect you struggling to pot down the rails though
                  I find potting down the rails much easier with pro cup balls. Then again, I'm used to them, having played 9 ball with them for many years. Cannot play with cheaper balls now, whatever the game.

Someone asked about the difference between the balls. All the following are the same compound of ball, and will play exactly the same.

English 8 ball - called Pro Cup, the balls the OP is referring to.
                  American pool - Super Aramith Pro, both TV and non TV, and Brunswick Centennials.
                  Snooker - pro cup.

I own all these balls, 5 sets in total. They play the same. They are heavier than cheaper balls, like you'll find in the pubs and clubs. You must cue more smoothly to get the reaction out of the white. They play significantly better once you are used to them, and are much more durable, so will last a lifetime. They are also much more closely matched in terms of weight, with tolerances of only a gram or two.

I don't know how 1Gs differ in terms of composition, or newer manufacturers like Cyclops. I would imagine 1Gs are merely pro cup balls, but more closely matched than a standard set.

Aramith make other, cheaper, balls, like premium or premier, which are pretty crap. Club balls are even worse. Serious players should make then switch.

Comment

It's a bit of a head scratcher for me at the moment, the only explanation I can think of is that I'm putting just a trace of side on, and as you say they react differently to throw its just that it seems more obvious with the pro cups than a cheap club set, I will persevere

Comment

it wouldn't have much effect on straight stun shot... mostly gone wrong only with shots that required special effects

Comment

Working...
                      X