Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK 8-Ball Pool - Best Technique for Break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK 8-Ball Pool - Best Technique for Break?

I quite a lot of pool (8-Ball rules) and was just wondering what technique people employ for a consistent and powerful break?

Poisition of cue ball in baulk; angle of striking the first object ball; power; where to strike the cue ball etc etc.

Try this one mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s353u03bCQ

There's more on youtube, knock yourself out, really valuable stuff.
    "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

This is the one I was originally looking for. It's brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1tsONEI_U
      "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

Originally Posted by SideShowKeith View Post
        I quite a lot of pool (8-Ball rules) and was just wondering what technique people employ for a consistent and powerful break?

Poisition of cue ball in baulk; angle of striking the first object ball; power; where to strike the cue ball etc etc.

I'd go with positioning the cue ball to line up with the front ball in the pack, in other words, dead centre. This makes it easier to keep a good cue ball and good connection with the pack. I'd also keep your hand off the cloth, because with a normal bridge it's more difficult to get power needed and keep stability. You should ideally (in my opinion) play through your fingers as you may already when the cue ball is a certain distance from the cush. TIMING AND STOP! Crucial technique in any shot, including the break shot. I aim slightly lower than centre ball, this allows me to screw the white straight back and bounce of the top cush near centre table again. Make sure you hit dead centre of the top ball of the rack. Another thing that needs to be checked is the pack itself. If you're playing in a competition or a money match make absoloute sure every ball is touching. With a poorly set-up rack good technique is wasted.
        Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Originally Posted by LWB View Post
          Another thing that needs to be checked is the pack itself. If you're playing in a competition or a money match make absoloute sure every ball is touching. With a poorly set-up rack good technique is wasted.
          Good tip, this is vey important when breaking! If the balls are not touching then the power you put into the break dissipates with each canon in the pack so your break will appear weaker and there will be less chance of potting balls off the break. Depending on the rules you play (old/new) I usually prefer to break to the far right of the table aiming just bottom centre of the white as I find I pot more balls off the break this way. I also personally prefer a looped bridge on the break shot as I feel it’s more accurate.

Comment

Just copy this guy and you'll be fine ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLDCn...eature=related

Comment

Are we talking on a UK spec table here!
              If so.....
              I was told how to break by an ex pro. Some cross over with Spud!
              Balls touching important. Not just point ball check the balls at all points of triangle.
              White ball in middle of baulk area, slightly to right of point ball.
              Bridge from cushion. Hit white just below center.
              Hit firm and push cue through to middle of table.
              You can't not pot, you can't not split the balls nicely!
              Last edited by Watford; 29 May 2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I've never played world rules in a league only the old tippty tap lot which was so boring I almost only ever play snooker now and yes I can see that a good old thump can pot a couple, spread them out giving you a chance of a clearance from the break but is there any perhaps statistical evidence that a power break is better than just a legal break that leaves the other guy a very remote chance of a clearance?

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity View Post
                  I've never played world rules in a league only the old tippty tap lot which was so boring I almost only ever play snooker now and yes I can see that a good old thump can pot a couple, spread them out giving you a chance of a clearance from the break but is there any perhaps statistical evidence that a power break is better than just a legal break that leaves the other guy a very remote chance of a clearance?
                  It's not always about clearances. If you soft break you're handing the first shot to your opponent and probably giving them the opportunity to take the advantage (including choice of colours - a huge bonus). If you can power break successfully more often than not then it's worth it.

It's also not that easy to soft break effectively in world rules. Four balls have to hit cushions (it was two in old EPA rules), and the penalty for a foul break is severe. I understand soft breaking used to be fairly common in old rules pool but as far I can tell it just doesn't make sense in world rules.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq1GR...eature=related

How about this one?

Comment

i play in a uk 8 ball league with a fair amount of success. i always break from dead centre of the baulk line directly into the front ball with a lot of topspin to go through the pack, more often than not i get an even spread and a pot or two. im only in a pub league so it may be slighty risky against a higher standard of player because if you dont pot you'l be in trouble.
                      Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Started breaking from quite far right on the baulk like with quite good succes thus far. Don't have a massive break (tend to mis-cue if I try to over-do it) but it's working quite well at the moment.

Tight pack is definitely high on the list though.

Comment

Do what was mentioned earlier - break centre/just right of the bulk line, aiming for the top of the pack full ball ball, and strike low. (as though you're playing a stun/screw shot) Main thing is to bring the cue back to your thumb/forefinger and a looong follow through with POWER. Where you bridge is more to do with preference.. If you bridge on the dike with a looped, control of the cue is the main thing.

Comment

"If you bridge on the dike with a looped, control of the cue is the main thing."
                            Come again?

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity View Post
                              Come again?
                              I'm assuming he's referring to the edge of the cushion/rail, and a bridge with a finger looping over the cue to prevent it from rising in an unwanted direction.
                              "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

Working...
                              X