Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK 8-Ball Pool - Best Technique for Break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Wity View Post
    Come again?
    see above

Comment

It's a sad day when our colonial cousin has to translate into English for an Englishman what another Englishman has said in a language that was supposedly English.

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity View Post
        It's a sad day when our colonial cousin has to translate into English for an Englishman what another Englishman has said in a language that was supposedly English.
        Not just that, but since both my parents are from the Phillippines, I'm only a first generation American at that!
        "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

I ain't no englishman

Comment

I`m going to check those vids when I go home (work bans you tube access)
            but are these applicable for the american tables?

thanks

Comment

For 8 ball try to Strike second ball in the pack from as wide as you can with as much left hand side as possible.

You find you will pot on most breaks, only problem is keeping white on table.

It's good when playing on a crap table and they can't get front ball touching pack.

Comment

thanks mate

Comment

The break is the most important shot in a frame of pool, but many players think of little more than whacking them as hard as they can. If you can settle on a technique that you're happy with and that gives consistent results, you can give yourself an edge over many opponents.

Here's what I've found works for me (I'm no superstar mind)...

On a standard 7' English pool table, I always use a looped bridge off the cushion, as this allows you to bridge nice and long but still keep the cue under control when hitting with power.

It's not really important where you place the cueball in the 'D' - just wherever's comfortable, giving yourself room for a good backswing. You want to concentrate on getting a full-ball hit on the front ball, in order that all the power behind the shot is going into splitting the pack (rather than sending the white careering round the table). Hitting the front ball dead centre also allows you to control the white better. The alternative is Bitter's suggestion of going for the second ball down - in which case you should again be trying to hit as much of it as possible. This is a useful option when you're not getting a good split from a conventional break.

I aim to strike the cueball just above centre (kind of stun-run-through-ish). The idea of this is to counteract the white naturally bouncing back off the heavier pack of balls - stopping it somewhere near the centre of the table and hopefully leaving plenty of options for your next shot (get it wrong though and it's white in centre pocket every time ). The more centrally you strike the cueball, the more velocity you're getting into the shot (rather than just making the cueball spin a lot).

In order to aid power and follow through, I alter my stance for breaking - standing a bit more upright and open, with my left foot in font and pointing forwards (I'm right-handed by the way). This works for me, allowing a bit more room to swing through the shot, and meaning you can use your back foot to launch yourself into it.

The main things I concentrate on when breaking are (1) hitting the front ball full-on, and (2) where I'm striking the cueball. I also find it useful to have an idea of where the cue will be on follow-through (I aim to get it past the blue spot).

In summary (doing my best Yoda impression!) - "Power is nothing without control".

Last edited by eightballtom; 18 June 2008, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I used to play a few league games when I was meant to be studying - I really liked the first break described above but with plenty of top-spin. When cueing well you could guarentee a couple of balls from the break and the white in the middle of the table somewhere near where the black satrts off.

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
                      For 8 ball try to Strike second ball in the pack from as wide as you can with as much left hand side as possible.

You find you will pot on most breaks, only problem is keeping white on table.

It's good when playing on a crap table and they can't get front ball touching pack.
                      on an american table, playing 8 ball, I am finding this the best technique. I need to start putting some left hand side on the ball though, combining this with power.

cheers

Comment

I prefer to play from nearly the right hand edge of the D and hit the top of the pack ball slightly left of centre from my perspective. This allows the white to sit spinning in the middle of the table while the object balls perform their chaotic frenzy. Obviously any of them can strike the white and send it into no-man's land, but I believe the mere act of centring the white ball pays real dividends if you consistently pot off the break like most decent players do.

Comment

JUST MAKE SURE THE PACK IS TIGHT !!!! AND FOLLOW THROUGH !!!!

sounds simple but youll be suprized how many people cant/or dont set up properly
                          http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

first post on here, but as i play more pool than snooker thats quite apt i guess.

I've recently adopted a bit of an unconventional break, as i'm using a 9ball cue with a 12mm phonelic (hard plastic) tip as a break cue. because the tip has almost no grip and is a nightmare to controll i bridge from the cloth rather than the top of the rail. and alsostraighten up my hand (in line with the pack) so i can keep the cue in the groove between thumb and forefinger better.

employing a wide stance, with my head about 4 inches higher than normal, and my back hand slightly further up the cue.

with the cue ball bang on centre of the line. i hit very slightly below centre as hard as possible (snapping the back wrist slightly forward at the end of the stroke and following through the centre of the white), with the aim being to stun the cueball at around centre table (leaving the folow up shot easy) with maximum spread of the balls.

the only drawback i've found is that if you dont get the front ball bang on in the centre, the white tend to go in a side pocket. I recon i average out of 10 breaks 2 will be white in-off, and the rest will be at least one ball potted (out of 4 breaks in a singles leage match the other night, 2 were 4 balls down each).

Comment

Check this one 8 ball pool cheats

Comment

Working...
                              X